Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens - sharpness

Status
Not open for further replies.

debs1153

Aug 10, 2009
Simei
Hi all

I'm new to DSLRs. Wanted to check if the sharpness of the the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens is only at the autofocus points (using 1000D) which lights up as red in the viewfinder? Realise that the surrounding areas are blurred. Is this the way it should be ? Wanted to attach one picture but the posting rules doesn't allow me to attach (wonder why?).

Thanks in advance. cheers

It depends on the aperture that you are using. I suggest you read a bit more about depth of field. Your manual will also cover this topic in the "aperture" section.

Try stopping down the aperture to 2.8, 4, 8 and 16 and you'll see the correlation.

Wanted to attach one picture but the posting rules doesn't allow me to attach (wonder why?).

Right here in the Newbies Corner is a sticky called "forum-related FAQs for newbies". Read there how to post images here.

Hi all

I'm new to DSLRs. Wanted to check if the sharpness of the the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens is only at the autofocus points (using 1000D) which lights up as red in the viewfinder? Realise that the surrounding areas are blurred. Is this the way it should be ? Wanted to attach one picture but the posting rules doesn't allow me to attach (wonder why?).

The amount of background blur or 'bokeh' depends on aperture used and distance between u and your subject, and your subject to the background.

As of now u only have 3 posts and there are certain criteria for pictures posting, so it's not possible for u yet.

As of now u only have 3 posts and there are certain criteria for pictures posting, so it's not possible for u yet.

Oh? LOL, forgot the limitations

Well, you could post a link to the photo instead and provide the exif as well so people could help more. :)

I could post images on my second ever post on the forums o_O

Will be interested to see the photos. 50mm f1.8 is such a gorgeous lens.

The amount of background blur or 'bokeh' depends on aperture used and distance between u and your subject, and your subject to the background.

"bokeh" is the "quality" of background blur, not amount. :)

Hi all

U will always be viewing at maximal aperture of 1.8 in this instance thru the viewfinder except when u depress the DoF preview button in the event u stop down the aperture and u would like to see how the depth of field appears

The stop down in aperture is automatic when u snap the shutter release. the picture will translate the aperture u set.

* but if u r complaining about the razor thin dof in the pics u got save the focussed point, then it is because of a larger aperture.

happy shooting!

ryan

Last edited:
bokeh is simply the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image. -.-

Totally wrong..... read up the link Miaoteh has posted

guys, thanks for all your help. Based on your feedback, realised that I was too close to the subject, took more pictures and understand it better now. The lens is sharp and like the picture quality....happy to register the warranty now. cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.