Canon 50D vs 550D

Kee Huat

Jul 25, 2009
Hi,

A newbie question here. Which has better features the Canon 50D or 550D. The price is not taken into consideration. Please give some examples.

Hi,

A newbie question here. Which has better features the Canon 50D or 550D. The price is not taken into consideration. Please give some examples.

Of course the 550D has better features in terms of having video capability.

You can read for yourself and decide. :)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos50d.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos550d.asp

If you want examples, I think its going to be more fruitful doing a search on Flickr for photos taken by the 2 cameras.

I seriously doubt you will discern much difference though.

If you want examples, I think its going to be more fruitful doing a search on Flickr for photos taken by the 2 cameras.

I seriously doubt you will discern much difference though.

Sorry, rephrase my question. Examples why the features on one is better than the other and vice versa.

The ISO performance & metering for 550D is better than 50D, thus unless you are going for a "bigger" & "faster" body (which I would just get the 7D instead) I don't really see a point of getting a 50D now. :think:

I was at the Canon shop at Vivocity level 2 a short while ago and was playing around with the 550D and 50D display cameras.

Hi,

550d is newer camera, got all the bells and whistles that all the big manufacturers are slapping on cameras these days, like video capabilities. if you not interested in video, can forget about this, really.

50d is targeted at a higher level market actually, just that it has no real replacement, except a higher level camera called the 7d.

each of them have additional features that other does not have. for example, 50d will probably have more dials and controls that can be changed quickly, being a prosumer level dslr. the 550d will have some advanced settings that will not be changed much by a newcomer to photography buried in its menus.

you have to decide. some features are important to certain people, some are not. otherwise buying a camera just because it has more features.. what's the use? can tell people, wa, my camera got many features that i never use? :dunno:

The ISO performance & metering for 550D is better than 50D, thus unless you are going for a "bigger" & "faster" body (which I would just get the 7D instead) I don't really see a point of getting a 50D now. :think:

is 50d focusing still better than the entry level cameras? it has been mentioned that low light AF on canon's entry level is visibly inferior to their mid-range, even in very neutral sites like photo.net:

article on wedding photography equipment.

the 50d second hand is $1.1-1.2K. i think 7d still more expensive significantly. so if you want fast AF, don't need current high iso IQ standards, 50d fills in the gap.

is 50d focusing still better than the entry level cameras? it has been mentioned that low light AF on canon's entry level is visibly inferior to their mid-range, even in very neutral sites like photo.net:

article on wedding photography equipment.

the 50d second hand is $1.1-1.2K. i think 7d still more expensive significantly. so if you want fast AF, don't need current high iso IQ standards, 50d fills in the gap.

Actually for wedding, I do need higher ISO performance more than of speed in AF. Maybe it's just me but as a Canon user myself I normally focus on center AF pt and recompose (if I want more AF pts at a more economical price I would have chosen a Nikon instead). This AF speed to me does not really matter most.

To me the 50D is going to reach it product life-cycle soon. When it does, you would see alot of people BnS. With the recent drop in price of 7D, my guess is that the "investment" would not drop as fast as the former.

Actually for wedding, I do need higher ISO performance more than of speed in AF. Maybe it's just me but as a Canon user myself I normally focus on center AF pt and recompose (if I want more AF pts at a more economical price I would have chosen a Nikon instead). This AF speed to me does not really matter most.

To me the 50D is going to reach it product life-cycle soon. When it does, you would see alot of people BnS. With the recent drop in price of 7D, my guess is that the "investment" would not drop as fast as the former.

are you suggesting that af focus is just as fast with every camera from the bottom to top of canon range at the centre af point?

what photo.net is talking about is inability of entry level cameras to lock focus in low light. i suspect that includes the centre af...?

well, if you are running a photographic business, you should care about "drop in value". otherwise, really.. as a hobbyist that point is not relevant. gear for hobbyist is always a loss in value since you spend and never earn.

btw, 40d didn't drop so much in value, i'm seeing it going for $800 thereabouts in b&s, helping a friend look.

are you suggesting that af focus is just as fast with every camera from the bottom to top of canon range at the centre af point?

what photo.net is talking about is inability of entry level cameras to lock focus in low light. i suspect that includes the centre af...?

well, if you are running a photographic business, you should care about "drop in value". otherwise, really.. as a hobbyist that point is not relevant. gear for hobbyist is always a loss in value since you spend and never earn.

btw, 40d didn't drop so much in value, i'm seeing it going for $800 thereabouts in b&s, helping a friend look.

Personally I have not used the 1D series for eventing shooting yet. But I had used 7D and 450D during several event coverage, personally for centre AF point focusing I can't tell the different (I am using 580EX2 for my AF beam). If you have hands-on experience with both the 50D and 550D model, please kindly share? :)

True.. ROI for hobbyist are mostly negative however I am sure no one like to purchase something today and have it drop (in price) the next. No doubt 7D would drop in price too, however it would be a later stage.

For me if I am choosing between the 40D and 50D, I would go for the 40D. But that OT on this thread. If you notice in BnS, the more $$$ the body, the greater the price drop. Hence if it's just for hobbyist, why not just invest on a entry level dslr and "invest" on lenses instead.

One "cons" of being a Canon/Nikon users is that we have a huge range of new and old AF lenses (and more launching every year) to choose and more BnS too. A PG tends to get the BBB virus easily. :bsmilie:

However one of the "pros" of using Canon/Nikon is that it's much easier to find someone/shop to rent/borrow the body and lens (compare to other brands), hence just get one and test it out. Agree?

Last edited:
Personally I have not used the 1D series for eventing shooting yet. But I had used 7D and 450D during several event coverage, personally for centre AF point focusing I can't tell the different (I am using 580EX2 for my AF beam). If you have hands-on experience with both the 50D and 550D model, please kindly share? :)

i dunno leh, i want to find out, which is why i asked.

i know the 400d has problems focusing in low light.. without what af beam...?

All Canon bodies (entry to pro) don't have dedicated AF assist beam built-in, it's mostly using the flash (internal) , ST-E2/ 580ex2/430ex2 (AF assist beam)

ah, i see.

without the af assist beam, have you tried different bodies? after all, if you *are* planning to use your camera for wedding photography, don't think any couple would like their photographer strobing people with built-in flash...... :bsmilie:

oh, and if you use the af assist lamp on the flashes - will they fire? TIA.

Last edited:
ah, i see.

without the af assist beam, have you tried different bodies? after all, if you *are* planning to use your camera for wedding photography, don't think any couple would like their photographer strobing people with built-in flash...... :bsmilie:

oh, and if you use the af assist lamp on the flashes - will they fire? TIA.

Your question is confusing?? :dunno:

Have you ever see a wedding photographer using their internal flash to do focusing during AD dinner and not have an external flash or ST-E2 to do the job? Frankly speaking after doing events and wedding photography for so many years I have yet to see a photographer to do that. Are you the first? :think:

Last edited:
Your question is confusing?? :dunno:

Have you ever see a wedding photographer using their internal flash to do focusing during AD dinner and not have an external flash or ST-E2 to do the job? Frankly speaking after doing events and wedding photography for so many years I have yet to see a photographer to do that. Are you the first? :think:

confusing meh.....?

precisely, i said no wedding photographer would do that.

what i'm asking is very simple: without af assist lamp, how is autofocus performance? have you tried? frankly speaking after seeing quite a few wedding photographers in action i have yet to see a photographer mounting a flash just for the af assist lamp either. :bsmilie:

anyhow, i was also asking if you could just use the flash for af assist and nothing else - i.e. it won't fire, just send out the beam. i already found out the answer to that, so never mind.

by the way, i'm not planning to shoot any weddings in this life, just asking. no need to make personal attacks when you can't understand what i posted. :bsmilie: clarification will be enough. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
what i'm asking is very simple: without af assist lamp, how is autofocus performance? have you tried? frankly speaking after seeing quite a few wedding photographers in action i have yet to see a photographer mounting a flash just for the af assist lamp either. :bsmilie:

by the way, i'm not planning to shoot any weddings in this life, just asking. no need to make personal attacks when you can't understand what i posted. :bsmilie: clarification will be enough. :thumbsup:

Actually I do mount my flash for the AF assist function, as I can turn my flash on and off independent of the AF assist. Since I have two 580EX2 and no ST-E2 that the choice for me. :)

"Can't Understand" & "Don't Understand" is very subjective. I don't think I make any personal attacks to you... if you take it the wrong way I guess you think too much. :bsmilie:

"Can't Understand" & "Don't Understand" is very subjective. I don't think I make any personal attacks to you... if you take it the wrong way I guess you think too much. :bsmilie:

心知肚明

thanks for your information.