canon 50d battery grip

izeman13

Dec 2, 2008
Hi,

I have some few concerns and question, coz i bought a 2nd hand battery grip from
on of the clubsnap member and just notice some few things when i try to use the
grip from my 6months old 50d and this is the first time i use and try the grip

a. since i only have one battery and as stated it can still run using one battery
on the grip? I just used the right side slot of the battery and when i turn it on
it works

b.when i use to try to take a shot using the grip via FULL AUTO mode try to press
1/2 click then auto focus works and flash pop and initial fire but when i continue to
press down the shutter button it doesn't take a shot. This is what i notice but when
I do try it again it auto focus then take the shot it works on the grip.

I just notice that when the first time I turn on or insert the battery on the battery grip
the camera battery grip doesn't take a shot but the succeeding try it works already.
Is it normal or something wrong with the grip or need to do some settings?

Need some help and advice

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have some few concerns and question, coz i bought a 2nd hand battery grip from
on of the clubsnap member and just notice some few things when i try to use the
grip from my 6months old 50d and this is the first time i use and try the grip

a. since i only have one battery and as stated it can still run using one battery
on the grip? I just used the right side slot of the battery and when i turn it on
it works

b.when i use to try to take a shot using the grip via FULL AUTO mode try to press
1/2 click then auto focus works and flash pop and initial fire but when i continue to
press down the shutter button it doesn't take a shot. This is what i notice but when
I do try it again it auto focus then take the shot it works on the grip.

I just notice that when the first time I turn on or insert the battery on the battery grip
the camera battery grip doesn't take a shot but the succeeding try it works already.
Is it normal or something wrong with the grip or need to do some settings?

Need some help and advice

Thanks a lot.

A. Yes it works with just one battery
B. Under what condition did you half-press? If it's low light, perhaps on the first try it was still trying to focus (hunting in low-light issue).

Actually I try it in my room last night maybe because my room has low light condition. Is it really normally when using a grip
or also using the main shutter button on the camera. Because this is the first time I use the battery grip just wondering
on the first half press I saw actually the AF points blink and my lens autofocus already but when I continue to push down
the shutter button on the grip it didn't take a shot but on the second auto focus when i half press and continue to take
the shot it works. Because I thought once you half press and the AF points already blink and lens already autofocus you
can already take a shot right away/ Anyway I will try this morning see whether it will be the same. But if I have a good
ambient of light it should work right?

Last edited:
Actually I try it in my room last night maybe because my room has low light condition. Is it really normally when using a grip
or also using the main shutter button on the camera. Because this is the first time I use the battery grip just wondering
on the first half press I saw actually the AF points blink and my lens autofocus already but when I continue to push down
the shutter button on the grip it didn't take a shot but on the second auto focus when i half press and continue to take
the shot it works. Because I thought once you half press and the AF points already blink and lens already autofocus you
can already take a shot right away/ Anyway I will try this morning see whether it will be the same. But if I have a good

when ur AF dot blinks means it couldn't focus on the subject please read up ur camera manual on AF lock sigh....

Hunting in low-light has got nothing to do with your battery grip =)

Switch to manual focus and try again.

Hi guys its working now. Thanks for all of your response. Now I didnt removed the grip from the body, I suspect only the first attached
of the grip and first power on or either I'm in a low light room last night when I test it, but when I turn it on now it works fine already.