canon 50D:Auto ISO not working in manual mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarray

Dec 25, 2009
Singapore / London
Hi guys...was playing around with my 50d and i find the Auto ISO function very useful since it keeps my shutter speed at a minimum of 1/60sec(when coupled with my 50mm F1.8) when Im in Av mode resulting in sharp images with no sign of camerashake blurring.

Auto ISO works perfect in Av and Tv mode but in Manual mode, the ISO seems to be stuck at ISO400 be it under strong or low light resulting in under/over-exposed images.

I've got no idea why its like that:dunno:

Hi guys...was playing around with my 50d and i find the Auto ISO function very useful since it keeps my shutter speed at a minimum of 1/60sec(when coupled with my 50mm F1.8) when Im in Av mode resulting in sharp images with no sign of camerashake blurring.

Auto ISO works perfect in Av and Tv mode but in Manual mode, the ISO seems to be stuck at ISO400 be it under strong or low light resulting in under/over-exposed images.

I've got no idea why its like that:dunno:
If you had read the Canon EOS 50D instruction and operating manual, you will know for a fact that auto ISO is fixed at ISO 400 in M mode. ;)

Last edited:
I think it was stated in the manual that it's set to ISO 400. Don't ask me why though, not too sure.

Ah ok then...:confused:

Auto ISO would have been a very useful feature though!

wait for the 550D, i think it has an improved auto ISO system.

Then P would work much better for you I think.

Allows you to have Auto ISO as well as changing aperture value and shutter speed. Shift with overexposure and underexposure as you need.

You bought a 50D, not a 500D! Have to know about the theory of photography and the limitations of the camera. If not sell the 50D and buy a 2nd hand 500D!

i think if you are using manual mode, there is not much of a hassle to choose the ISO yourself? it's just another setting to tune...

That's what i always do at the moment...but nevertheless its one less thing to worry about if you suddenly move from outdoors to indoors

Why dun Canon update their firmware. Obviously if users can enjoy the goodness of an auto ISO....haha

I think auto iso is good when you want to do hdrs hand held and need to have your minimum shutter speed set to a certain value or else your +2 ev will have camera shake.

Status
Not open for further replies.