novak

Jun 29, 2009
Hi all, i'm new to this DSLR thingy. i love to shoot macro, what is the
good macro lens that i can start off with. i saw canon have some
macro lens but it cost $500+ which is out of my budget. i don't want
to spend too much on macro lens. i want to take the photo as close
as possible using macro.

my lens is a standard lens, 18-55mm.

really appreciate for any advice from bro here.
thanks.

Well, it depends on what you mean by macro. I mean there's "close-up" photography, and then there's true "macro" photography.

I think the generally accepted definition of a "true" macro lens is a lens which can provide a magnification of 1:1 at the sensor/film plane. That means if something is 1 inch across in real life, it will be projected at 1 inch across at the sensor plane. This doesn't sound like much, but in fact it's a helluva lot.

Some lenses which are called macro, however, in-fact don't have a mag of 1.0x. The Canon 50mm 2.5 macro is an example (max mag = 0.5x). This is good enough for a lot of "macro" work.

So the figure you need to pay most attention to when evaluating a potential lens for "close-up" work is the "magnification" figure. For every lens, there is a published (somewhere) maximum magnification. It is "mostly" controlled by the minimum focusing distance from the front element of the lens. In other words, a lens that can focus on subjects from a shorter distance away, for a given focal length, will give a larger magnification factor.

The mag on your 18-55 is 0.28x. That's actually not bad for a standard zoom lens.

You might want to try to find something called a "close-up filter" (it's really a close-up lens that screws onto the front of a standard lens decreasing the minimum focusing distance and increasing the magnification factor). I don't know if one is made for the 58mm mount that is on the 18-55 lens, but you can do a web search.

Do a search on google for "close up filter" or "close up lens" or something. You'll find tons of info.

The close up filter degrades your image quality though. Other way is extension tubes, but it's very troublesome coz you have to swap the tubes depending on the distance of the object.
If you are really serious about macro photography, you'll need to invest on a real macro lens. There's simply no other substitute.
Try out Sigma 150mm F/2.8 macro. It's the sharpest Sigma. The AF is slower than canon 100mm macro though, but you should use manual focus anyway for macro shots

thanks for those answers. didn't know have 2 type macro & close up.
hmm still confuse of what actually i want to do. maybe i can give
example here:

Bluetooth.jpg

i'm using standard lens 18-55mm, setting : macro and full zoom. distance
from camera lens to object is only 7" inch with full zoom. i wanted to
take the photo more close to the object maybe 4" inch from the camera
lens. using standard lens is not possible, cause the AF keep rotate trying
to find a clearer focus which is not achievable.

now my question is, should i buy extra lens so call the macro lens??
is my photo consider a macro photo or a close up photo??

Big thanks.... :thumbsup:

thanks for those answers. didn't know have 2 type macro & close up.
hmm still confuse of what actually i want to do. maybe i can give
example here:

Bluetooth.jpg

i'm using standard lens 18-55mm, setting : macro and full zoom. distance
from camera lens to object is only 7" inch with full zoom. i wanted to
take the photo more close to the object maybe 4" inch from the camera
lens. using standard lens is not possible, cause the AF keep rotate trying
to find a clearer focus which is not achievable.

now my question is, should i buy extra lens so call the macro lens??
is my photo consider a macro photo or a close up photo??

Big thanks.... :thumbsup:

No need to buy extra lens. Do you need to buy extra lens? If yes, I would suggest the canon 55-250mm or 18-200m It has macro lens, etc. If no, save your budget. I would congrat your first camera :)

if you're rserious about macro, get a dedicated macro lens.

Recommended lens:
1. Tamron 90mm f2.8
2 Canon 100m f2.8
3. Tamron 180mm f3.5

These are 1:1 magnification and perform extremely well for macro.

Though some tele-zoom lens has the macro stated on the lens but it won't be 1:1 magnification. I wouldn't recomemend those for macro.

I would however recmmend Raynox close up which many had very good success with the close up filter. I've personally have never used it before, but I believe that it rather hard to use. You can experiment it out as it's reletively cheap. At the same time you can save up for a dedicated macro if you're really serious.

close up for me..

Hi all, i'm new to this DSLR thingy. i love to shoot macro, what is the
good macro lens that i can start off with. i saw canon have some
macro lens but it cost $500+ which is out of my budget. i don't want
to spend too much on macro lens. i want to take the photo as close
as possible using macro.

my lens is a standard lens, 18-55mm.

really appreciate for any advice from bro here.
thanks.

Less than $200 , use Kenko extension tube @ macro 1:1 or more
Read this thread

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535121

Status
Not open for further replies.