Canon 500D vs Alpha 550

Status
Not open for further replies.

boni82

Nov 3, 2009
Canon 500D vs Alpha 550 Hi Guys I am interested in the models below and is in a delimma which to choose
Canon 500D vs Alpha 550
Could anyone advise on this

What research have you done? Have you compared the features?

For me, the A550 is a better buy due to tilt-screen LCD, fast autofocus in live view, 7FPS, face-detection, smile shutter and auto-HDR. And the A550 is good in High ISO too.

Canon 500D vs Alpha 550 Hi Guys I am interested in the models below and is in a delimma which to choose
Canon 500D vs Alpha 550

Go to showroom and try out both camara.

Last edited:
smile shutter? auto HDR ? LOL :bsmilie:

anyways, TS, whichever feels better in your hands is the better camera.

Canon 500D vs Alpha 550
please list out your dilemma so we can tell what is important to you.

Both are pretty good cams. As the bros have mentioned, better to go to the showrooms/shops to try them out to see if the user interface and handling suits you. Personally, the specs, features and handling are pretty important to me. So try them out yourself as you are the one using it, it has to be comfortable in your hands.

And the A550 is good in High ISO too.

I had forgotten to change the ISO800 to a lower ISO today and a whole series of pictures came out crap on my A200 :( I don't even know how to show them to people who were in the photos :(

How better A550 is? Which ISO level is still usable (suitable for printing)?

I love the in-body anti-shake. You can select a whole lot of lenses without thinking about in-lens antishake or AF-motor. And I also love the feature sets and ease of use. And off course the price :) in comparison to competitors.

Mac

I had forgotten to change the ISO800 to a lower ISO today and a whole series of pictures came out crap on my A200 :( I don't even know how to show them to people who were in the photos :(

I love the in-body anti-shake. You can select a whole lot of lenses without thinking about in-lens antishake or AF-motor. And I also love the feature sets and ease of use. And off course the price :) in comparison to competitors.

Mac

ISO 800 is not as bad unless your exposure is off or you're pixel peeping. There have been tests in the various sites and forums on the A500, you may want to do a search.

Mac

The new EXMOR sensors used in the A500/550 are designed to deal with the high ISO problem of the A2x0/3x0s.

there are already lotsa comparisons between the ISO control of the A230/330/380 vs the A500/550. Looking at the pics, I think ISO3200 of A5X0 looks like ISO800 of the A2X0/3X0s.

Welcome to ClubSNAP

Go to both showroom, try the cam and decide yourself. Don't buy cam based on what ppl tell you here coz it is biased ;)

as so many has already said, so your own research, and go down to try both.

But i'll also input some of my own opinion la...

Sony:
superior sensor (since they make sensors for nikon)
AF motor.. dont see the difference. means they have to design all their lens against this constraint.
Inbody IS? dont see the point. each lens needs different IS and different points of lens. If you have 1 motor to drive all lenses, it will be like trying to use 1 power plug/converter to power all your appliances which needs different voltage.
smile shutter&autoHDR&face detection - ??? how does these even help me get a better picture?
Tilt LCD this can be VERY useful if you need to fire at weird angles like i always do. (i wish my canon has a tilt LCD or a wider viewing angle)
7FPS very fast but must consider the buffer size also.

canon:
larger and more mature range of lenses for you to choose from.
most of my friends use canon so i can share eq with them (was partly why i went canon)
more options for you to upgrade.
inferior iso performance
no tilt lcd, not wide viewing angle.
slow FPS
1 cross type AF

do correct me if im wrong....

Sony:
AF motor.. dont see the difference. means they have to design all their lens against this constraint.
Inbody IS? dont see the point. each lens needs different IS and different points of lens. If you have 1 motor to drive all lenses, it will be like trying to use 1 power plug/converter to power all your appliances which needs different voltage.
smile shutter&autoHDR&face detection - ??? how does these even help me get a better picture?
Tilt LCD this can be VERY useful if you need to fire at weird angles like i always do. (i wish my canon has a tilt LCD or a wider viewing angle)

canon:
most of my friends use canon so i can share eq with them (was partly why i went canon)
inferior iso performance
slow FPS
1 cross type AF

Inferior ISO performance?? i find my pictures still usable at ISO 3200(for newpaper print) while ISO 6400 just makes it for web.
I would rather get the shot than not get any shot.

Personally, i would buy the camera which feels better in my hands. I almost bought the D90 based on specs, but the handling was kinda stiff for me so 500D.
:)

Lens IS is a marketing gimmick for canon to charge more. different lenses do need different IS calibrations BUT inbody IS does not work the same way as inlens IS. IOW its good for any lens.

I would get the A550. Unless you truly plan to invest in this hobby, the sony is the better choice. tilt lcd, smile shutter, usable live view mode for non-landscape pictures.

Please go and try both cameras out and do your research.;p

Sony:

Firstly, having an auto focus motor build in does not limit the lens in anyway. Sony has lenses which has motor in it, known as ssm. These lenses focus much faster than lens without ssm. Sony alphas will detect a lens which has ssm and use the lens' motor to help with focusing.

Secondly, what has in body IS has gotta do with focus motor? They are not related.
And in body IS works as well, if not better, than lens IS. Its much easier to shift the SENSOR than to shift the lens group imo.

Smile shutter might be considered a gimmick to some, but for photographers who likes to take candid shots as well as for parents who likes to take photos of their kids, its an invaluable tool.

Auto HDR is great for taking landscapes without tripod. Without this function, to do hdr in PhotoShop u will need to use a tripod else u will hv trouble aligning the pictures.

These functions are only gimmicks in the hands of people who don't know how to make use of them.

Imo, I think u don understand Sony alphas well.

Last edited:
Welcome to CS:) Whatever model you are buying, go down to the shops & try them out & get a feel of it 1st. ;)

Sony:

canon:
inferior iso performance
slow FPS
1 cross type AF

Your listing is almost reverse to what most of the websites say.

Sony (I am an alpha user) has used CCD in most of the models (except full frames and new 5XX series). Noise level is considerable in eve ISO800 for their CCD models. Producing sensors for nikon does not automatically mean their cameras are better (or even their own sensor designs).

You say cannon's ISO is inferior to Sony while most of the review websites would tell the reverse (like dpreview etc.). If you tell sony has a better ROI or better price performance ratio it is very much understandable but questioning Canon's ISO and noise level?

BTW I will continue with A850 as my next camera but Cannon's 500D, 50D, 5D and 7D are very decent cameras and even if they were not better than Sony, they are not inferior.

Status
Not open for further replies.