Canon 500d or 550d

Dapplee

Jun 24, 2009
Hi, i'm intending to purchase a DSLR in the upcoming PC show. But i'm in a dilemma of which model to purchase. 500D or 550D.

And i'm interested in Macro lens, any recommendations of third party lens?

Mind giving me advices? Thanks!

Hi, i'm intending to purchase a DSLR in the upcoming PC show. But i'm in a dilemma of which model to purchase. 500D or 550D.

if you have the money, why not get the better one ? :dunno:
For macro lens, i've heard people talking about tamron 90mm. not too sure about it.
only tried sigma 105mm before. :D

1. don't buy dslr in pc show, expensive most of the time.

2. for me, 550d is better, price savings to 500d not worth it, get 550d.

3. tamron 90mm is very affordable, but you must make sure you like the working distance. most third party true macro lenses will not be too shabby, there are also 50mm macro lenses, 150mm macro lenses, 180mm...

Check the prices of those major shops before going to the PC shows. That way you can get the best price.;)

But what's the difference with 550D and 500D?

My friend bought a macro lens for 100 plus, she indicated the lens is cheapest of all. But i do not know which lens is it.

I checked the prices outside, its more or less the same.

Get the 550d buddy. Bought mine 6 weeks ago and its awesome.

Sorry can't help u with regards to macro lens.

you can always google for differences between the 2. dpreview Here is a high level comparison.
I doubt there is a dedicated macro lens that goes for 100+ unless your friend was referring to macro attachment like the Raynox DCR 250 which goes for around $125 est

Get the latest 550D, which performs better than the older model.
For Macro lens, you can check out the Canon 100mm (non-IS version), Sigma 105mm and Tamron 90mm.

But what's the difference with 550D and 500D?

My friend bought a macro lens for 100 plus, she indicated the lens is cheapest of all. But i do not know which lens is it.

I checked the prices outside, its more or less the same.

Hi,

First and foremost, WELCOME TO THE CLUB! :)

Difference between 550D and 500D? Basically they are Canon's basic level entry cameras. The difference is in the numbers, performance, as well as different accessories between the two (like batteries, battery grip, etc).
Personally, I own a 500D, but if I was camera-less, and were to get a new camera, 550D would be the one I'd get.

The macro lens your friend got, is an attachment to her own kit lens? Even the Raynox don't start at $100 plus. It is in the next price bracket range. Does it include 'wide angle' function as well? If it is, I have nothing to say except to tell your friend not to complain about the images

Lastly, avoid buying from most shops in Sim Lim Square. There is a list of recommended camera shops.

List of camera shops in Singapore

AP - Alan Photo, #01-38 Sim Lim Square, Tel: 6336 0922, e-mail: alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
AP-F - Alan Photo, #05-20 Funan Digitalife Mall, Tel: 6883 0922, e-mail: alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
CP - Cathay Photo, #01-11/14 Peninsula Plaza, Tel: 6337 4274, e-mail: email@cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-M - Cathay Photo, #02-215/216 Marina Square, 6 Raffles Boulevard, Tel: 6339 6188, e-mail: email@cathayphoto.com.sg
John - John 3:16, #05-46 Funan Digitalife Mall, Tel: 6337 2877 / 6337 1897, e-mail: richardgan@pacific.net.sg
Lord's - Lord's Camera, 304 Orchard Road #01-79 Lucky Plaza, Tel: 6235 4605, e-mail: lordscom@singnet.com.sg
MS - MS Colour, Block 711 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, #01-3501C, Tel: 6457 6380, e-mail: sales@mscolor.com.sg, web e-quote
MS - MS Colour Outlet - 53 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3, AMK Hub #02-24, Tel: 6452 2828
TCW - The Camera Workshop, 3 Coleman Street, #01-31, Tel: 6336 1956 / 6336 7808, e-mail: tcwkshop@singnet.com.sg
TK - T K Foto Technic, 100 Beach Rd, #02-45 Shaw Towers, Tel: 6292 4533, e-mail: sales@tkfoto.com.sg
OP - Orient Photo, 1 Rochor Canal Road, #06-53/31, Sim Lim Square, Tel: 6339 1035, e-mail: sales@orientfoto.com.sg

You can email the above shops for an e-quote for the items you'd like to buy.

Lastly, unless you THINK you can get better pricing at those PC Shows, we strongly refrain from buying there. And should you have decided to buy from those PC Shows, and found you've been 'chopped like a carrot', please do not come crying here to compare prices. You've been warned to do your homework.

Do enjoy the hobby!

Cheers :)

Please ask very clearly what your friend got. There are many ways to get macro capabilities:
- Macro extension tubes (to be put between body and lens)
- Macro lens adapters (to be put in front of the lens)
- Dedicated Macro lenses
Extension tubes come quite cheap (way below $100) but you need to operate the lens manually (focusing, aperture). Macro lens adapters are either more expensive than $100 (see Raynox) or they are best left in the shops for their lousy image quality. Dedicated macro lenses costs much more, the price guide will give you some indication.
Chances are that your female friend got chopped by a sales guy selling her some el cheapo macro lens adapter. There's one infamous brand "Vitacon" (better spelled "Vita-con") but also other funky brands like SteinZeiser (imitating some German brand) and others. For all of them: it's a piece of cheap glass screwed in front of the lens. In return, this lens will screw your image quality. Best to throw and forget about the money spend.

Hi guys, thanks for the advise yea.

I think i will just buy 550D at CP. Or should i buy at harvey norman / courts?

I think she got the lens which is 50mm f1.8. I will post the quality of the photos. I love the quality of the photos!

23853_383556327028_557917028_4069828_1463014_n.jpg

14098_386016672028_557917028_4125059_2720730_n.jpg

And how do i adjust the settings of the dslr to get this effect of the photo?

29065_397946662028_557917028_4400617_3148004_n.jpg

29065_397946657028_557917028_4400616_3047705_n.jpg

29065_397946582028_557917028_4400606_4503951_n.jpg

Thanks alot guys!

Anyway, where can i get to take really "nature photos"(bridge,sunset, sunrise etc). Because i'm having an assignment to complete.

thanks people!

Last edited:
I think she got the lens which is 50mm f1.8. I will post the quality of the photos. I love the quality of the photos!

Actually, those photos show very poor bokeh. Other lenses will be faaaaar better. This is showing the camera/lens combo in a bad light.

And how do i adjust the settings of the dslr to get this effect of the photo?

Not much to adjust, some of those are just badly metered or poorly exposed. In other words, she got them wrong. The first was obviously shot through a pair of sunglasses.

If anything, this show metering problems with the camera.

Anyway, where can i get to take really "nature photos"(bridge,sunset, sunrise etc). Because i'm having an assignment to complete.

thanks people!

We have quite a few sub-forums for landscape, nature, etc where you can start reading the FAQs.

you are very easily pleased.

either that or you have not seen enough.

Hi, oh really thanks alot for the advice. :thumbsup:

However is buying at MS color save? Its a dealer shop right? Based on the pricelist in the forum, MS color is selling 550D dead cheap as compared to previous IT fairs and roadshows.

Please give some advice, thanks. :(

you are very easily pleased.

either that or you have not seen enough.

Haha yea, i have not seen enough! i'm just a beginner well. I hope to improve!

Hi, oh really thanks alot for the advice. :thumbsup:

However is buying at MS color save? Its a dealer shop right? Based on the pricelist in the forum, MS color is selling 550D dead cheap as compared to previous IT fairs and roadshows.

Please give some advice, thanks. :(

MS Color is a well-known, trusted shop. Ask for Florence. :)

PC show is good cos sometimes they release good gifts like the Crumpler5MDH, but don't squeeze in the ants queue.. Go to shops like AP,CP etc.. Slowly take your time.. And bargain ..

For Macro lens, I think the 100mm Macro looks good to me.. But before you commit to get Macro lens, I personally suggest you to borrow from your friend or rent it to try out first, whether do you like the focal reach. It's better than you commit to a lens and start to regret cos of the focal reach.. Then u sell and lose money..

My humble opinion, 2cents worth.