Canon 500 mm lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

benny

Nov 13, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Visit site
Hi guys,

Saw this on ebay and I was wondering if anyone used to/are still using this lens.

CANON FD 500mm 1:8 REFLEX LENS

Was thinking of getting one and would appreciate any comments or feedback from actual users.

Also, does anyone knows the value of a used one in Singapore? Saw one at Peninsula/Adelphi last week.

Cheers,

Garion

Nov 26, 2002
West side of S'pore
Visit site
Just so you know, this is an FD mount lens, not EF. You would probably need an adapter to attach it to your EF mount body. I'm not very sure but I think this is a mirror lens too.

benny

Nov 13, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Visit site
Garion said:
Just so you know, this is an FD mount lens, not EF. You would probably need an adapter to attach it to your EF mount body. I'm not very sure but I think this is a mirror lens too.

Hi Garion,

Thanks! It's a FD mount as stated and it is a mirror reflex lens. Will not fit on the Canon EOS series without an special adaptor.

The only bad thing about this that it's aperture is at F8. But on a bright sunny day, you can get good reach with it for birds perhaps?

Definitely much lighter to carry around too. But want to know more about the down side of this lens. And I suspect there should be quite a few as otherwise, this lens would have been all over the place.

Cheers,

Ektar25

Apr 20, 2004
benny said:
The only bad thing about this that it's aperture is at F8. But on a bright sunny day, you can get good reach with it for birds perhaps?

Definitely much lighter to carry around too. But want to know more about the down side of this lens. And I suspect there should be quite a few as otherwise, this lens would have been all over the place.

Cheers,
Hi benny,

Primary concerns are that the f8 aperture is fixed so no adjustment for dof - also the mirror results in OOF highlights being reproduced as doughnuts - some people dislike the effect
cheers

Jeff

Apr 27, 2002
www.asianhomebiz.com
benny said:
Hi guys,

Saw this on ebay and I was wondering if anyone used to/are still using this lens.

Was thinking of getting one and would appreciate any comments or feedback from actual users.

Also, does anyone knows the value of a used one in Singapore? Saw one at Peninsula/Adelphi last week.

Cheers,
You will get some "beautiful" donuts for tea-break. :D For fun shots only.

metals99

Jan 23, 2004
West Singapore
Jeff said:
You will get some "beautiful" donuts for tea-break. :D For fun shots only.

better using a 200 mm lens with a 2 x converter anyway if u are using digital u would have the 1.6X magnification

Ektar25

Apr 20, 2004
Actually, in good hands the 'cat' is capable of producing more than acceptable results - these are pics taken with the FD

donuts fresh baked
http://www.photos-of-the-year.com/challenge/showphoto.php?photo=1756&password=&sort=4&page=1&thecat=520

donuts gone bad
http://www.kjsl.com/~dave/owls/reflex.html

some general stuff on mirrors
http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/mirrors/

makes a good travelling lens and if you are using a dslr the dof problem may not be so bad... :think:

cheers

arm

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Hi, Yes this is an old FD lens. Actually one of the best mirrors around. Bigger than most because Canon made it larger than F8. As a result has a T-stop close to F8 glass. Very sharp for a mirror.

benny said:
Hi guys,

Cheers,

benny

Nov 13, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments and the links. Helpful.

Are the donut rings very unacceptable? I suppose this lens only good as a novelty item then.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

Cheers,

LiOnElLiN

Apr 18, 2004
www.zelesjen.com
benny said:
Hi guys,

Are the donut rings very unacceptable? I suppose this lens only good as a novelty item then.

Cheers,
it robs attention from the main subject, but adds interesting patterns if used creatively :D

chriszzz

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
benny said:
Hi guys,

Cheers,
"Acceptability" is highly subjective. Look at some photos shot with these mirror lenses and see if their side effects looks OK to you. I've seen some really stunning images from these lenses, even with the donuts. At the end of the day, its the photographer that counts. A good photographer can make donuts look good and tasty !

Status
Not open for further replies.