Canon 50 F1.4 or Sigma 30 F1.4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamestyemk

Aug 9, 2004
Yew Tee
Considering 50mm or 30mm fast lens for church interior type of available light photography with FF body (5D).

35 F1.4L is out of budget. Appreciate advise.

u can't use the 30f1.4 on a 5d.

O, didn't know that yet. Thanks, that's one consideration down :(

A CSer suggested 50 F1.2 for long term investment. Agree that will be a very lasting investment. 2K in the shop at the moment?

it's really an investment.. both the 35 and 50 are quite close in terms of view to me. but i prefer the 35 anytime cos it's a lil wider. and i shoot with that almost all the time.
here's a noob picture i took yesterday with the 35L.

517982938_fa28d6ac72_o.jpg

oh darn. look at that bokeh! woooo...

I have the Canon 50/1.4 on the 5D and it's pretty good.

Light in weight and pretty sharp, though DOF is very shallow at large apertures (i.e. >F2), so must be careful. But colours not as vibrant as my L zoom lenses (i.e. the 24-105 & 16-35).

Suggest you should go down to one of the camera retail haunts and play with both lenses - I've come to the realisation that purchase of lens A vs lens B often boils down to personal preferences.

All the best!

MW

if you have an FF camera, the 50 1.4 should be a the must have prime in your list.

if you're on 1.6x, then the 30mm would just be nice to make up on the lost crop of a 50. =)

if you have an FF camera, the 50 1.4 should be a the must have prime in your list.
Can't agree more...:thumbsup:

Thanks, that's an overwhelming advise. The L (lustfuls) 50 F1.2 and 35 F1.4 akan datang later.

I have the Canon 50/1.4 on the 5D and it's pretty good.

Light in weight and pretty sharp, though DOF is very shallow at large apertures (i.e. >F2), so must be careful. But colours not as vibrant as my L zoom lenses (i.e. the 24-105 & 16-35).

Suggest you should go down to one of the camera retail haunts and play with both lenses - I've come to the realisation that purchase of lens A vs lens B often boils down to personal preferences.

All the best!

MW

Thanks, MW for the practical suggestion. I've not been a 50mm user during my film camera days; so it makes sense to check out the focal length. The current 'driving force' is the low light photography need. Some users suggested that since I've the 5D which had very good noise control, I should try it out with my existing lens.

Xie xie all sifu's and simu's.

Status
Not open for further replies.