Canon 450D

bloodypinata

Aug 2, 2018
Can anyone tell me if the 450D EOS I've been using for the past 10 years is obsolete? It's an absolute workhorse of a camera, never had I needed to service it once. However, noise is prevalent at iso numbers of 800 up, and exposure always seems to be off by a stop. Still, it's easy to shoot in raw and make colour corrections afterwards.

If you ask Canon or the typical gearhead / pixel peeper / specs hunter you will get a very clear 'Yes' as answer.
As long as the camera does what you want it is not obsolete. You have already indicated a few points. So I would think you can have a look at recent models, maybe even the mirroless range. Then decide for yourself.

Can anyone tell me if the 450D EOS I've been using for the past 10 years is obsolete? It's an absolute workhorse of a camera, never had I needed to service it once. However, noise is prevalent at iso numbers of 800 up, and exposure always seems to be off by a stop. Still, it's easy to shoot in raw and make colour corrections afterwards.

10 years is a long time in terms of technology. It depends on what on what you want in your photos,if it's just snapshots 450D is still ok.
Photography technolgy has improved over the years with respect to image sensors, image processing chipset and firmware..software
that process the raw data into what you see as images or photos out of the camera. Whether you want to upgrade is a personal choice
based on brand preference ,type of camera and budget. If you are "green" then use until camera's end of life or if a gearhead change camera every 6 months to a year when new models appear. :)

you should probably take into consideration whether you can accept the limitation of the 450D based on what photos u r taking. if u can live or workaround the limitation. then there may not be any need to upgrade to a newer cam. especially if u r not into printing your photos to large sizes

for my case, I was using 5dmk2, coming to 10 years by dec 2018, and would not have changed if it didnt take a dive into the sea when I was taking sunset on a jetty overseas a few months back

I don't see any pressing reasons why you need to change as long as it works and produce the results you are happy with. The good part of using the camera body which you are happy with longer is that when it is really time to change, you will be able to get the latest model - leap frogging all the in-betweens.

Unless you are often shooting fast moving subjects like planes or birds, or night macro...otherwise you are still fine.

Short answer - yes. You get much better AF and noise performance these days for entry level DSLR. If you enjoyed using the 450D you will be even happier with the latest cam.

IMG_0723.JPG

saw this "gem" at Mustafa earlier this year.... looked like a treasure lost in time

Reactions: ed9119
it is $399 and this was taken in April 2018
It seemed like a box that was forgotten in the storeroom before they took it out to display

its a good cam n one of the first entry level cameras to hvspot metering
if exposure is off then adjust the +/-EV accordingly