Status
Not open for further replies.

winzee

Apr 17, 2008
Hey guys!

Need your recommendations..
should i get a Canon 450D or Nikon D80?
I like both but can't decide!! oh no!

450D is ahead of D80 in terms of specs, but it's has a smaller body not good for someone with small hands. You also got to think of what lenses/accessories you will be getting etc..

Once you had decided on either a Canon or Nikon most likely you will stick to it for years, quite difficult to switch camp unless you do own much accessories etc.

Hey guys!

Have you tried both camera?

How do you find the menu when you operate both camera in the shop, which 1 seems more user friendly to you?

How is the handling feel, which 1 fits your hand more, which grip give you the most comfortable feel?

Maybe you can also compare some photos from both camera, see which colour you like? Some might prefer the colour produce by CCD while some prefer CMOS.

Hey guys!

finally! it's been a long time since i saw any post of this kind! i knew it was coming! ;p

jokes aside, what i recommend is go through the reviews on dpreview.com, that will give you a good idea on what each camera can do or cannot do, strengths/weaknesses etc. after that, make a trip down to either the showrooms or a reputable shop and ask to try the camera. not only the feel is important, but the way u adjust settings - command dials, menu hierarchy, can make or break the camera.

Have you tried both camera?

How do you find the menu when you operate both camera in the shop, which 1 seems more user friendly to you?

How is the handling feel, which 1 fits your hand more, which grip give you the most comfortable feel?

Maybe you can also compare some photos from both camera, see which colour you like? Some might prefer the colour produce by CCD while some prefer CMOS.

Very well said. :thumbsup:

When in doubt, buy both ! :)

When in doubt, buy both ! :)

buy both? and have 2 sets of lenses for each of them? haa :bsmilie:

if compare features-wise the newer 450D sure win, D80 is frm 2006 le. no improvement canon also wun dare to release the 450D into the market.. but D80 can stay in the mkt for so long, sure also get it's plus pts... U use D80(2006 model) to compare to 450D(2008 model) already a compliment to D80 haha

Features-wise there's alot of features in the cam but do u use all of them all the time? dun forget there's still PS...

I saw the ad on TV for the 450D looks abit small for my liking, looks awkard in the hands of the model holding it also.. just too small.. wonder if anyone shares my sentiments :)

Also try Olympus, Pentax, Sony. For all you know, you might find them even more comfortable to use than the C and N cameras.

It may be a long shot, but if you do have an idea of what you want to shoot, look at the lens lineup of the brand you are potentially going for.

Also try Olympus, Pentax, Sony. For all you know, you might find them even more comfortable to use than the C and N cameras.

yup, i agree, tried oly 8080 and e3, their grip fit so comfortably in my hand, the rest of the brand just cant match. but thats just me.

I saw the ad on TV for the 450D looks abit small for my liking, looks awkard in the hands of the model holding it also.. just too small.. wonder if anyone shares my sentiments :)

Same sentiments....

I gave up on the 400D, the grip is too small for my hand without a battery grip it's even worse.

If you have small hands and don't like bulky body get 450 else get a 40D or D80.

given a perfect scenario, i think good or gooder or goodest skills with shooting or postprocessing can help you get away with unfavourable image quality (eg. noise, colours that you don't like, sharpness etc...)

but here are some factors that I think a user will never overcome regardless of photography skill levels

1) buttons, grips, handling, ergonomics (maybe you might get used to it, but maybe you wont too)

2) viewfinder (dont underestimate this. The D80 has an awesome viewfinder, haven't seen the 450d's one though)

3) weight & size, factoring in the body and lens available (even if you get used to it, 1kg is still 1kg. time to build some biceps :p)

4) the DSLR system, technical support, servicing standards blah blah blah ... (every brand will keep improving, but somehow some will manage to stay ahead of others in some areas. be it price, availability, quality control, variety of products, 3rd party availability etc... For example, at this point of time, I just can't find a cheap 1st hand prime lens for Sony, and likewise I just can't find an image stabilized 50mm f/1.4 lens for Canon. find out which products you think will be important to yourself)

5) community (not really important, but it makes shooting more fun!! in my opinion, 2nd market is really important if you're a gearhead)

6) $$$ (ultimately, this is the MOST important hahahha :b)

Features and technical specs change/improve so fast your latest camera becomes obsolete soon. So try to let your photography prove that you're worth more than your camera.
Pick something you feel comfortable with in your hands, and a system that you believe you can grow with if you want to constantly upgrade or accessorize.

Both Nikon and Canon have an awesome DSLR system and community, you can't go wrong with either brands. That being said, so does Pentax, Olympus and Sony too :b
So with regards to your question, I'd base my decision on whether the ergonomics/viewfinder (of the D80) is more important to me, or the features and compactness (of the 450d) is more important to me.

I hope you make your decision well =)
cheers!

If you plan to pursue this hobby on a long term basis, bear in mind that some systems did change mounts and you would have backward lens compatibility issue.

given a perfect scenario, i think good or gooder or goodest skills with shooting or postprocessing can help you get away with unfavourable image quality (eg. noise, colours that you don't like, sharpness etc...)
"good, gooder, goodest" - what kind of english is that? I don't think its even Singlish.;p

The rest of your comments in your post are good though.

"good, gooder, goodest" - what kind of english is that? I don't think its even Singlish.;p

The rest of your comments in your post are good though.

Lol~ "gooder" is quite a Singlish term, my mum actually uses it :bsmilie:

Ok here's a proper paraphrase:

"Ideally, in quite a number of scenarios you can actually make use of adequate photograpahy skills and postprocessing skills to help you get away with inherently unfavourable image qualities of the camera itself."

cheers to all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.