Canon 450D Shutter Lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddballz

Apr 24, 2008
Hi all,

I'm first time using SLR camera just bought a new Canon 450D but was told by my fren tat it has shutter life and once reach the limit, it dies off.

So far i have took 400+ shots for fun/testing and worried if this camera can built to last for years.

No informations on the limitation on shutter no. even searching in google.

Thanks all

Definitely can last into the 5 digit number of shutter count range (except due to luck). Don't worry too much. Lots of people here accumulate 50k shutter counts easily within months.

Your "friend" does not know much about cameras at all.

In general, the Canon shutter MTBF for their budget models is about 50,000 actuations. This means that your shutter should roughly last 50,000 shots before it might start acting weird and need to be replaced at the Canon service centre. Mind you, 50,000 is just a rough guess in general. It could fail after 25,000 or keep going strong for over 100,000 shots... That's why warranty and service centres com in handy. :)

It would be shorter than normally expected if you often shoot continuous multiple frames.... (for sports)

Thanks all for the reply.

This is my first time using DSLR camera so i didin't know got such thing a shutter lifespan. Now pretty much fear of taking shots for fun and delete. :bigeyes:

This is my first time using DSLR camera so i didin't know got such thing a shutter lifespan. Now pretty much fear of taking shots for fun and delete. :bigeyes:

Everything has a lifespan, even you. According your idea why should people buy a car? It might break down one fine day, so better keep in car park and don't use it. Stop worrying. You got the cam, the money is spent - now forget about that and use it.

Thanks all for the reply.

Any mechanical part can break down. In a PnS, maybe it's the shutter button that will stop working. Now you'll be afraid to take pictures?

Get real, get out, get shooting! Enjoy your camera, stop worrying about shutter lifespan. Chances are, you'll want to upgrade your camera body looooooooooooooooooooong before you hit any shutter lifespan issues.

Thanks for the advise. Since $$ spent, i should really go enjoy taking pics with the camera. By the time the shutter dies, i would have upgraded to another new body.

nothing to worry imo, all things are designed to a certain mtbf, 450d is no exception.

sure, Canon or any manuf. can built one to last a million shutter counts but how much would that have to be priced?

just wondering, say after 50K shots, any idea how much does it cost to change the shutter?

this is one of the funny thread in cs.:bsmilie::bsmilie:

where got electronic, electrical, mechanical eqpt has no lifespan one?

Thanks for the advise. Since $$ spent, i should really go enjoy taking pics with the camera. By the time the shutter dies, i would have upgraded to another new body.

No worry dude..... your 450D would last till 500D, 550D and likely even till 600D to 650D is out....... :bsmilie:

One of my friend did change the whole shutter mechanism for his 30D recently cost him about $120++. It seem to be a resonable price. Price might be diff for diff camera

Even lens like 17-85IS, there is also need to change the diaphragm which cost $200 plus after certain number of shots. :)

should be lower den a 40D's lifespan (~100,000 actuations).

no worries, just snap away. it probably won't even be a consideration unles you're planning to sell it off.

depends on how u use it also...
if u always take continuous mode,then might die faster

Hi all!!

Just joined clubsnap not too long ago~ and every time i visit i learn something new! haha.. i also bought a 450D about 3 weeks ago and have been snapping lots of photos to trial and error.. I'm a broke undergrad so I most probably will just be replacing the shutter mechanism as maxheadroom's friend did~

Just a pretty noob question: Shutter Lifespan isn't under warranties are they? :sweatsm:

Thanks in advance!

If it broke within warranty period. They replace it for you. But den it seldom fail within the warranty period

If it broke within warranty period. They replace it for you. But den it seldom fail within the warranty period

Hahaha.... I brought extended warranty. Total is 3 yrs of warranty. My shutter count is now around 10K.... hope to 'kill' it just before my warranty runs out.... :bsmilie::sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.