Canon 450D Newbie !

Status
Not open for further replies.

isnapyou

Apr 26, 2009
Summer
Hello! :D
I'm a newbie with a Canon 450D! :D
and I was wondering what lenses I should get besides my kit lens.
I was thinking of taking the Canon 50mm f/1.8 but yet considering for 17-55 f/2.8?
So which should I get?
Or are there any other lenses which are really good ( preferably cheap too! haha) with a 450D and why? :eek:
I'm sort of a leisure photographer! so,
Please , give suggestions! :D
THANKS! :D

As long as you cannot even tell us why you want a different lens I strongly suggest spending time learning the very basics of photography and the operation of your camera. No point buying lenses (have you checked the price of the 17-55?) just because others have them or are drooling about it. Learn to use your kit lens. Once you see that you cannot overcome the limitations or certain features are necessary then go and check other lenses. And: good lenses don't come cheap. The 50mm f/1.8 is a single exception.

The 50/1.8 is a good lens with a cheap construction, hence the price.
There are also many many copies in the market. large-volume production tends to bring prices down too.

TS, the BBB virus has poisoned you so quickly?
I would advise against treading down the path of "if only I got that lens/flash/filter, all my photos would be brilliant" kind of thinking...

I have a friend who went from Olympus EP1 to Leica M8 and all the lenses... and his photos are :ipuke:

Agree with the folks here. You need to know what to use the lens for. Learn about your DSLR before jumping into buying lenses. I took half a year to learn my 450D and still learning.

Hello!
I'm a newbie with a Canon 450D!
and I was wondering what lenses I should get besides my kit lens.
I was thinking of taking the Canon 50mm f/1.8 but yet considering for 17-55 f/2.8?
So which should I get?
Or are there any other lenses which are really good ( preferably cheap too! haha) with a 450D and why? :eek:

welcome fellow 450D user! ;)

since u a leisure shooter, i suggest dat u stick with ur kit lens first..perhaps get a 50mm plus a 55-250...;)

As long as you cannot even tell us why you want a different lens I strongly suggest spending time learning the very basics of photography and the operation of your camera. No point buying lenses (have you checked the price of the 17-55?) just because others have them or are drooling about it. Learn to use your kit lens. Once you see that you cannot overcome the limitations or certain features are necessary then go and check other lenses. And: good lenses don't come cheap. The 50mm f/1.8 is a single exception.

I've already been learning my camera for 9 months ( still learning! haha) ! So yes, i was thinking of buying a new lens! :D

TS, the BBB virus has poisoned you so quickly?
I would advise against treading down the path of "if only I got that lens/flash/filter, all my photos would be brilliant" kind of thinking...

I have a friend who went from Olympus EP1 to Leica M8 and all the lenses... and his photos are :ipuke:

I've already been using my 450D for 9 months already but still learning , so I was thinking of having new lenses! :D haha

Welcome to the world of photography... You sure have a competent cam in your arsenal!

After the kit lens the next lens try to get a f/2.8 zoom to replace it... Tamron 17-50 makes a decent and economical choice!

Welcome to the world of photography... You sure have a competent cam in your arsenal!

After the kit lens the next lens try to get a f/2.8 zoom to replace it... Tamron 17-50 makes a decent and economical choice!

Oh haha! thanks for the suggestion! :D

sell your kit lens top up to get tamron then. no point keeping both since the range is similar.

I've already been using my 450D for 9 months already but still learning , so I was thinking of having new lenses! :D haha

hmm. It really doesnt say why you need new lenses, or what type of lenses you need.

But hey, if it makes you happy. :)

i think you should buy a 800mm.

seriously. this will at the very least, stop your bbb virus for a long time, since you will realise that because of my suggestion, you have:

a) burnt your bank, and thus your financial controllers, if they do not exist, will exist very soon.

b) a big fat white elephant, which is what happens when you ask random people on the internet for lens buying, instead of buying what you need.

i think you should really consider it. it will be good money spent for future returns.

new lenses do not help you learn.

contrary to popular belief.

they also do not help you get better shots. the only thing they allow you to do is to walk around moaning that you are broke because you spent your savings on a new lens. :)

putting this objectively - the more you shoot and read up, the more you realize what you are interested in shooting, and what will help achieve the shots you want, be it equipment or technique. i don't know you in real life, and neither do the rest of clubsnap, so we can't speak for you when you ask us what lens you should get. you didn't state what you're interested in, either.

the kit lens is good enough lens. tons of people complain about using it - i know i do sometimes - but if you took enough time to work out it's pitfalls and how to get around them, it's still good enough to use. i'd advise you to keep shooting and reading up until you figure out what you really want. of course, if you have cash, by all means go and buy the whole trinity or whatever you want that may or may not be useful to you.. whatever makes you happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.