canon 430EX II over exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.

raycytay

Jun 3, 2009
Dear all,

i am new to the flash era, i had been facing with my flash. even tho i had set it to ETTL, on and off(quite frequently, the photo get over exposed and all i get is a piece of white shadow and nothing else. i had tried to bounce it to the ceiling. Pls help. big thanks in advance

too many points to list out.

have you borrowed photography books from the library?

Be more specific and detail when ask question... post pics if possible

We don't know what is your camera setting, how far is subject, how is the ambience light, etc.

What mode were you in? What were your settings like?

i am new to the flash era, i had been facing with my flash. even tho i had set it to ETTL, on and off(quite frequently, the photo get over exposed and all i get is a piece of white shadow and nothing else. i had tried to bounce it to the ceiling. Pls help. big thanks in advance

Are you using Manual by chance without knowing what that means?

well, i set the Av priorty. using the kit lens, taking a pic of my room. focusing on a cup place on the floor, naybe the cup is too near my camera?

I think what he meant was : Was your flash set to M 1/1?

well, i set the Av priorty. using the kit lens, taking a pic of my room. focusing on a cup place on the floor, naybe the cup is too near my camera?

Your description of your operating mode is not clear at all. Some pictures with full exifs would be useful.

If you get an over-exposed picture in Aperture prirority mode even when your flash is switched off, maybe you have involuntarily introduced an important EV correction. If so, first set everything to zero.

Alright TS, do a direct flash at a random object(water bottle, books)

Set your flash to ETTL. Set Flash Compensation to 0(neutral). Set EV compensation to 0(neutral). Shoot at something like ISO 1k-ish, 1/100 shutter speed and f5.6 aperture. Is your shot still overexposed?

Do remember to check the mode on your flash!

give your flash contacts a wipe. They could be dirty and cause a metering error with your camera. Plus, make sure that ur battery is relatively fresh. Weak batteries tend to cause this problem sometimes also.

Is the flash properly mounted? I remember one case where the flash wasn't properly pushed into the hotshoe. As result the flash fired at full power.

thanks everyone, i will try all the mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.