Canon 40D

Status
Not open for further replies.

handsomeyip

Dec 28, 2009
Canon 40D with 2 kit lenses, is it considered cheap.
I have totally no clue but i want to get a camera asap because i want to
take nice pictures when on holiday :bsmilie:

1st of all, you didn't mention the price... How are we going to know is it a good deal? Is it new set?

Also, if you have 'no clue' on camera, getting a DSLR might not be suit you in your very soon trip, because DSLR need some basic photography knowledge (ISO. aperture. shutter) to let you feel 'you have paid something worth it'. Without basic understanding, you might feel you have wasted your money in getting something bulky, yet not giving you good photos.

or else, just get a good compact will do.

but i want to get a camera asap because i want to

Erm. If you are getting the camera a few days before your holiday, don't bother. You should give yourself at least one week/4-5 days to familiarize with the camera's function. Or else, you might just miss the shot you wanted to take as it might appear underexposed or overexposed or etc. and for your info, photos taken with a DSLR does not equate to nice photos for ALL situations.

Canon 40D with 2 kit lenses, is it considered cheap.
I have totally no clue but i want to get a camera asap because i want to

I didn't know that 40D came with kit lenses. I thought 40D is usually sold as body-only.
Anyway, it's already an obsoleted model, having been replaced by the 50D.

paiseh was in a hurry to type out the details.
my friend offered me $750.

The body being obsoleted model, does it make any differenc?
for example the type of accessories i need to get and the re-sale value

to me, I will evaluate the following for 2nd hand:
1. should be no more warranty, so need to be cheaper
2. the condition of the item, scratch / user mark is secondary, but whether the camera still functioning well is important. Check the shutter count, lens condition

Twin lens, you mean 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS? (note the 18-55 older version without IS). $750 include lenses?
If the item is about 2 yrs and with these twin lens, in good working condition, I feel it is worth it.

But again back to my 1st post, whether you really need it or not.

No, No worry for you. You can use the " AV " or "Auto". It give you a time to understand.

I think it is a good deal. 2 lens and the 40D is good enough to start without any other accessories.
Buying a DSLR is not a financial investment or should form any part of your retirement portfolio, so you should not worry too much about re-sale value.

BTW, where did you find this deal.

40D is still not so "obsoleted", should be still able to find in shops 6 month ago.
anyway, the accessories is still ok, not much problem on that.

As for resale value, you may got the buy and sell sub forum to have a look to get some idea. Do note, after 2, 3 month things will change.

go and bite his hands off. don't wait already..if it is working properly of cos..

to me, I will evaluate the following for 2nd hand:
1. should be no more warranty, so need to be cheaper
2. the condition of the item, scratch / user mark is secondary, but whether the camera still functioning well is important. Check the shutter count, lens condition

Twin lens, you mean 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS? (note the 18-55 older version without IS). $750 include lenses?
If the item is about 2 yrs and with these twin lens, in good working condition, I feel it is worth it.

But again back to my 1st post, whether you really need it or not.

$750 is worthwhile. Be it with or without lenses. Of course, if its inclusive of the kit lenses, then its definitely a steal. :)

$750 is worthwhile. Be it with or without lenses. Of course, if its inclusive of the kit lenses, then its definitely a steal. :)

just get it..:devil:

Since your friend is selling to you, I assume not too bad. Canon 40D is a good camera with sensor IQ just below 5D.
Make sure you get familarized with the setting like raw and jpeg and normalize any tweaking you have accidentally set.

OKAY THANKS ALOT YOU HANDSOME PEOPLE:D

I thought my friend trying to rip me off lol

OKAY THANKS ALOT YOU HANDSOME PEOPLE:D

I think you got a very nice friend that you should treasure. S$750? where to find? and i bet your friend had taken care of his equipment and hence it should be in mint condition.
Hope you are enjoying your 'new' 40D now. It is capable of getting very nice photos (good exposure, right focus, good colour) even when used under "Auto" mode.

Ha ha, not so good to think that way.
Actually, if you have at least one week time to play with the camera prior your trip, is good to get it.

wow.. 750 for a 40D..
just grab it fast if it's function normally ;p
it's a fantastic machine :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.