Canon 40D Vs Nikon D2x

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWP

Dec 16, 2005
Dear pro and friend

I am thinking of making a switch to Nikon.
I am some how not very satisfied with my 40D.
Would it be wise to change to D2x second hand?
Please advice.

Thanks

YWP

Maybe you should tell us why you are not satisfied with Canon 40D? They are not in the same league, 40D is a semi-pro model while D2X is a pro model.

depends on your feel. D2X does not have an auto mode which is good for advancing photographers, and it also got the front and rear dials which are useful. no popup flash though. still depends on your preference. :)

Why the switch.
I should say i am a S^*^% for good stuff.
I started with 350D - 30D - 40D.
There seems to be a limit on 40D.
Firstly, i find it a bit nosy at even ISO800.
Also, the images does not seem to be as sharp as a Nikon cam be it D300 or needless to say D2x.
D3x has too much feature and i personally feel that a D2x goes a long way and is quite affordable now.
But a switch will be a give me a huge hole in my pocket.
However, my knowledge of Nikon is really low.
Like in Canon - L lense are the top range.
What about Nikon. I am lost. Any advice?
Still, i love sharp images.
By the way, am using a 24-70L original Canon f2.8.

Please share with me your views and enlighten me if possible.

Thanks everyone.

Why the switch.
I should say i am a S^*^% for good stuff.
I started with 350D - 30D - 40D.
There seems to be a limit on 40D.
Firstly, i find it a bit nosy at even ISO800.
Also, the images does not seem to be as sharp as a Nikon cam be it D300 or needless to say D2x.
D3x has too much feature and i personally feel that a D2x goes a long way and is quite affordable now.
But a switch will be a give me a huge hole in my pocket.
However, my knowledge of Nikon is really low.
Like in Canon - L lense are the top range.
What about Nikon. I am lost. Any advice?
Still, i love sharp images.
By the way, am using a 24-70L original Canon f2.8.

Please share with me your views and enlighten me if possible.

Thanks everyone.

Chase equipment if you want. Since you say you are a sucker for good stuff, then just chase whatever you want. You don't need us to justify your purchases.

BTW, I'd rather you be a sucker for good photos than good equipment, but I guess not everyone's a photographer.

Sharpness... from digital is always abit of a question mark. Frankly, there's nothing Unsharp Mask wouldn't solve if your quibble is with sharpness from a digital file.

ISO? You will soon be quick to learn that the D2X is not an excellent high ISO performer compared to all the current offerings on the market. Frankly before they launched the D3/D700/D300, Nikon was leagues behind Canon in terms of high ISO noise control.

Since you have a 24-70/2.8L already, I would recommend you upgrade your body instead. 5DMkII if you got to have the latest and greatest... or if not, a 2nd hand 5D would actually serve you very well.

1. I doubt D2x ISO performance can be any better than 40D.

2. Sharp or soft, have you ever tried to sharpen your photos in PP?

I'm no Canon user and I'm not trying to convince you to stay with Canon. But it seems to me that the problem lies in you, not the camera. I'd try to work around the limitation rather than thinking of jumping camp if I were you.

if the ISO is your problem with 40D, change system will not satisfied you, unless you buy D700/ D3. Im using 40D & D2x last year and my opinion get the D2X if you really want the pro body feel and more custom function, but i tell you D2X ISO 800 is not better than 40D

Thanks for everyone's help.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.