Canon 40D vs Canon 500D. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnTaylor

Jun 24, 2009
Let me begin by telling a little story.

This morning I was doing a search of ebay.com.sg on canon EOS and saw two ads which got me thinking.

One was the Canon 40D for $1500

The other was the Canon 500D for $1268.

Spec for spec, they are almost identical. eg both have 3 inch LCD with live view.

Differences are:

Resolution:

40D 10.1 mp; 500D 15mp

FPS:

40D 6.5fps; 500D 3fps.

Size:

40D is bigger than 500D for better grip.

Out of curiosity, I did a search of reviews on the 40D, which is about 2 years old, and most reviews said it took excellent photos.

I then read reviews of photo quality of the 500D (I ignored the video aspect- obviously the 40D doesnt have video), and saw that while it took good photos, not one review used the word "excellent" when describing photo quality.

Which leads me to ask you, the dlsr users, the following question....

If you had to choose between the 40D and 500D as a camera for photos, (not video), which would you choose?

And which do you think takes the better quality photo, for the same photo subject.

*pls dont ask me to try it out and then let everyone see the pics. I dont have $3000 lying around just to experiment. But I know some guys here do use many cameras, so may have an idea of which is better.*

Can the 40D cut it with the latest lower end cameras 2 years later?

Let me begin by telling a little story.

This morning I was doing a search of ebay.com.sg on canon EOS and saw two ads which got me thinking.

One was the Canon 40D for $1500

The other was the Canon 500D for $1268.

Spec for spec, they are almost identical. eg both have 3 inch LCD with live view.

Differences are:

Resolution:

40D 10.1 mp; 500D 15mp

FPS:

40D 6.5fps; 500D 3fps.

Size:

40D is bigger than 500D for better grip.

Out of curiosity, I did a search of reviews on the 40D, which is about 2 years old, and most reviews said it took excellent photos.

I then read reviews of photo quality of the 500D (I ignored the video aspect- obviously the 40D doesnt have video), and saw that while it took good photos, not one review used the word "excellent" when describing photo quality.

If you had to choose between the 40D and 500D as a camera for photos, (not video), which would you choose?

And which do you think takes the better quality photo, for the same photo subject.

*pls dont ask me to try it out and then let everyone see the pics. I dont have $3000 lying around just to experiment. But I know some guys here do use many cameras, so may have an idea of which is better.*

Do you need Video? If no, you should go to Canon 40D and ask discount. If yes, You should go to Canon 500D and ask discount.:)

Funny reply. :)

But I'm not interested in actually buying.

Which do you think takes better quality photos Tay76?

Long story cut short.
1) I will take 500D now as 40D is too bulky for me - you will have to try the size at the store to see the difference
2) Both take 'excellent' photos to meet my needs, so I can happily use both, except if really need to choose, I will select the lighter/smaller one. 500D
3) and to your final question... "Yes 40D still cut it".

Hope the above helps, btw I'm still using a made in japan low entry DSLR older with my favorite 35/f2 lens... no stress/worry of losing it and it's had serve me well all these years.

Last edited:
If need the speed, faster autofocus, better noise control and the tested weather resistant body so would choose the 40D.

After looking at features you need versus want you can also look at ergonomics. I find the xxxD series to not be as comfortable as the xD and xxD series.

Oh, I really find the jog dial on the back of the xxD/xD series as a very nice feature to have.

You only read in the website...
Have you actually hold the camera and feel the grip and buttons....

Just go out and feel the actual camera and later you can decide which one to choice.

may sound biased, considering that i own a 40D, but I'd go for the 40D if you ask me. I've fiddled with the 500D too, so i could more or less have a reasonable general comparison made.

as for why, it would have to be the ergonomics and the shutter speed (1/8000 vs 1/4000), burst rate (6.5 vs 3.5), ISO (1/3stop increments vs 1stop increments) and noise control on 40D trumps over 500D, according to what I see.

BUT, to be fair, the 500D has a better and much more accurate LCD display than 40D, lighter to operate (weight-wise), does video (i know you said to not compare video, but it IS infact a point where the 500D is better than the 40D) and it's cheaper. =)

it all boils down to personal preference

XXD is better performance than XXXD.

but as a newbie, u should take cheaper option. further more, u may not be really into photography

if u are sure to be one of the pro in the future, just get XXD or even XD :D

You're comparing mid-range to entry-level based on a couple random specs? Go try the cameras, you'll see why the 40D costs more.

I use a 40D. So far, none of the newer models are tempting enough for me to think about upgrading.
But most of us can't do a direct comparison between the 2 becos we don't have both.

Previously, I was using 350D, since, to me, it cost a fortune, I had intended to use it for at least 5yrs. Well, 40D came along and after reading all the reviews, I was sold. So the 350d lasted only 2.5yrs, before I sold it.

40D anytime, for me. IMO, cant really compare XXXD vs XXD series.

Status
Not open for further replies.