Canon 40D View Finder Circular Marks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2008
Hmm I recently noticed this faint circular mark when I look through my 40D.

It is this faint black lining that forms a perfect circle around the focus points. It is not the spot-meter circle.

It doesn't show up on the pictures I take so it's probably not on the censor. I have removed the eye cup and wiped the view finder but the marks remain. I have tried on different lenses and the mark is still there, so it's not from the lenses either.

So I am wondering what the circular mark might be... does any one know? Is it the matt screen?

It's bugging me quite a bit so any help would be appreciated. Bolded the words to emphasize that it's not the spot-meter circle.

o - spot metering circle, ( ) - the faint circle shaped mark.

( o )

Ok someone provided the view finder picture. The mark looks something like the oval line except it is not that thick and obvious, I made it so to show that it is not the spot meter circle.

Last edited:

calebk

Jul 25, 2006
Clementi
Did you read your manual?

That's the spot-meter circle.

Jul 31, 2008
Did you read your manual?

That's the spot-meter circle.
Erm, I can tell the difference between the spot-meter circle which has a CLEAR black line and a FAINT black mark.

I think I should have emphasized more on the FAINT part.

let o be the spot-meter circle. the mark looks something like

( o )

the brackets are the FAINT black marks that I am talking about.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2008
Please, that's the area which the Spot Metering AF works..4.5% or so coverage which is why there's a circle :bsmilie:

Jul 31, 2008
Please, that's the area which the Spot Metering AF works..4.5% or so coverage which is why there's a circle :bsmilie:
I will go edit my original post now. Since it is conveying the wrong impression.

Feb 11, 2008
Another possibility is that fibres could have get onto your focusing screen.Confirmed if it's never in focus in VF. :D

Jul 31, 2008

would that be the circle?
Erm no.

I think this is my worst post ever... sigh.

But thanks for providing the pic, I have been looking for it.

The oval shows the faint marking. I made it thicker to differentiate it from the spot meter circle.

J-Chan

Sep 21, 2005
I think its the focusing matte/screen..

calebk

Jul 25, 2006
Clementi
It should be the matte surface of the screen showing up. It's only visible at certain angles when you turn it around to face a light source, right?

Jul 31, 2008
I think its the focusing matte/screen..
Hmm I did a search for it just now and what I have read says that the focusing matte screen is supposed to have spot-like patterns and not in a circle?

It's just the edges of that circle that's visible. The lighting condition is not bright and I am not using a fast lens so I am not sure if it is the matte screen. It's bugging me because I have been taking pictures regularly with this 40D for the past month and I only noticed this mark recently. It's distracting when I take a picture and I notice the mark and the colour difference. :(

Jul 31, 2008
It should be the matte surface of the screen showing up. It's only visible at certain angles when you turn it around to face a light source, right?
Hmm nope, it's visible at both dim and bright conditions. And it doesn't appear or disappear when I change the angle. :(

So it's not the matte surface huh? :(

calebk

Jul 25, 2006
Clementi
Hmm nope, it's visible at both dim and bright conditions. And it doesn't appear or disappear when I change the angle. :(

So it's not the matte surface huh? :(
Hmm I think you might want to bring it down to Canon for a look-see. Doesn't sound normal at all...haha.

Jul 31, 2008
Hmm I think you might want to bring it down to Canon for a look-see. Doesn't sound normal at all...haha.
Oh ok thanks. I hope it's nothing serious.

On closer inspection I found that the area outside that circle is dimmer by a bit as well.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom