Canon 40D or Nikon D90?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ysl

Apr 14, 2005
Thinking of upgrading my current camera. Currently using Canon 300D, but switching to a Nikon is not a problem. Still deciding with one to get between these 2 cameras. Any comments? Pros and cons?

Thanks for your input!

YSL

What Canon lenses do you have now?

If you can afford the Nikon and want to jump ship, go ahead. But I would personally suggest that you stick to the Canon camp and supplement (or replace) your 30D with the 50D. It's a more substantial upgrade.

Cheers,
Zexun

Thinking of upgrading my current camera. Currently using Canon 300D, but switching to a Nikon is not a problem. Still deciding with one to get between these 2 cameras. Any comments? Pros and cons?

Thanks for your input!

YSL

I think TS is using 300D now, not a 30D. My thoughts on your issue is to get a Canon since you might be used to Canon's system. Although i use a Nikon, personally, I would get the 40D cause its a much better deal than a Nikon D60, unless you're considering adding a D300 into the picture. If yes, Nikon D300 would be my choice.

Somehow everyone misread his top post LOL.

300D to 40D or D90

Image quality both are about the same. Functionality D90 1 up the 40D for being newer. Looks and build 40D is better. Price wise 40D is a bargain now. Taking photos, well that depends on you.

Im from canon side and like you I had a 300D. Jumping to 40D is more natural then going nikon. Layout and buttons 300D is not so far from 40D. Also you can always keep your 300D as a backup camera incase your 40D ever goes into maintainence. That said, if you have already made up your mind to buy a new camera, go down to one of those reputable shops and try them out. Maybe you will find whats best for you then.

Ya...... everyone seem to get the models wrong.......... : P lol............

Thanks for your all your suggestions. I know the benefits of sticking to Canon since I started with one. But also I'm curious about how a Nikon will perform. D300 price is too high for my budget and I know it's a very very good camera.

The major problem I face with Canon 300D is the slow focusing especially in low light and also the wrong white balance for many indoor shots. I know that Canon 40D will improve most of the problems that 300D has. But at the same time, I'm also curious how Nikon will perform. Also the other attractive thing about D90 is the video recording (but I know the recording does not have auto-focusing........ : P )

So...... still deciding......... can't decide yet......... : P

D90 has superb high ISO performance... you might want to drop by a shop or the nikon showroom to see... :)
and do remember to bring your memory card.... ha ha :)

Image quality both are about the same. Functionality D90 1 up the 40D for being newer. Looks and build 40D is better. Price wise 40D is a bargain now.

Hey sorry, I would beg to differ from some of you guys. Especially the phrase above that the D90 is ONLY 1 up from the 40D. Actually, there are a lot of features better than those of the 40D's. Like, higher megapixels, ISO range, ISO performance, video, 920K dot LCD screen, VGA on LCD, more in-camera correction function including fisheye, HDMI output, grids in the viewfinder to help in composition, allowing of cheaper SD cards and further more, 3rd party lenses, Nikon mount are cheaper than Canon mount and Nikon lenses are the bang for the buck especially their trinity lenses which are top of the range, being the best lenses one can ever have. To the 40D's advantage, is the higher fps and better build but that has to depend on the TS wether or not he wants something heavier.

Kenbit ur fanboyish comments will draw flak again.

Coming from Nikon myself, issin it more economical to stick to Canon since u already started with a canon system. Every generations will bring new cameras that leapfrogs one another. Jumping ship because of a newer model is tough on the wallet.

Ryan

Well, I :heart: my D90
(obviously, otherwise i wouldn't have bought it :) )

But in the end, it's up to you, right? Just pop by a camera shop and test both...see which one suits you;)

Kenbit ur fanboyish comments will draw flak again.

Coming from Nikon myself, issin it more economical to stick to Canon since u already started with a canon system. Every generations will bring new cameras that leapfrogs one another. Jumping ship because of a newer model is tough on the wallet.

Ryan

Hey brother, if you review his post carefully, he says changing is not a problem. And by that he means it will be an easy change which represents he does not have much lenses or maybe still only the kit lens. Why would it be a difficult change for most of us? Because we have invested so much into a particular system and then changing seems like throwing some of your money into the drain. Makes our hearts pain doesn't it. Maybe get TS to list down his equipment list first? Chill out bro.

Well, I :heart: my D90
(obviously, otherwise i wouldn't have bought it :) )

But in the end, it's up to you, right? Just pop by a camera shop and test both...see which one suits you;)

U "upgraded" form D200 right?

yea :bsmilie:

needed the waay better noise performance :sweat:

P.S- Is changing from a 'high-end' to a 'mid-range' upgrading or downgrading? :p

Upgrading ;) Coz the D90 is so much better than the D200 except for build? ;D

Well..... I have a Sigma macro lens (17-70mm F2.8-4.5), a prime lens (50mm F1.4) and a Sigma flash (EF_500 DG Super) so far........

But as mentioned, it's not a problem switching to Nikon because my nephew is looking for a camera............. : P

Of course it will definitely cause more to switch over to Nikon but I'm open to it. Of course eventually I'll think I'll settle to one........... : )

Well..... I have a Sigma macro lens (17-70mm F2.8-4.5), a prime lens (50mm F1.4) and a Sigma flash (EF_500 DG Super) so far........

But as mentioned, it's not a problem switching to Nikon because my nephew is looking for a camera............. : P

Of course it will definitely cause more to switch over to Nikon but I'm open to it. Of course eventually I'll think I'll settle to one........... : )

What you mean you think you are going to settle to one? YOu mean you are going to settle down to a Nikon? THen good for you. Can sell your Canon or give to your nephew faster in case you kenna poisoned by others in this forum asking you to buy more Canon lenses then at that time u sell ur Canon sure heart pain.

... further more, 3rd party lenses, Nikon mount are cheaper than Canon mount and Nikon lenses are the bang for the buck ...

Oh c'mon, your fanboy-ism again...I don't suppose Nikon is letting you do this for free?

Where on earth did you get this info, or is it just an inaccurate sweeping statement?

I have nothing against comparing specs to specs, but to make such sweeping statements is really misleading, to say the least.

D90 has superb high ISO performance... you might want to drop by a shop or the nikon showroom to see... :)
and do remember to bring your memory card.... ha ha :)

can i check where is the nikon showroom

Sorry to hijack this thread...
What is the pro/ cons of Canon lens on Nikon body?
Looking at D300 or D700 body.

Sorry to hijack this thread...
What is the pro/ cons of Canon lens on Nikon body?
Looking at D300 or D700 body.

how are u going to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.