Canon 40D: Exposure in M mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipfreak

Nov 26, 2007
Singapore
www.rogerchua.com
hi. need help from more experienced users. i tried my hand with the M mode last night. i realise i could not adjust the exposure compensation and saw that it was set at underexposing by 2 stops. is that normal or was it something i did? the other settings was shutter speed 1/125, f/11, iso 200, wb daylight.

I'm new also. AFAK, the exposure compensation is not available under Manual mode, since you are setting aperture and shutter by yourself anyway.

i know. i am wondering how to adjust it since it was at 2 stops under for my camera. or is it normal and i shldnt be bothered?

hmm i think you need to adjust the shutter and aperture to get the right exposure in M mode

so what u are saying is that i shld play ard with the 2 settings to get the right exposure? but what if i am shooting in a studio environment? does that make a diff?

i know. i am wondering how to adjust it since it was at 2 stops under for my camera. or is it normal and i shldnt be bothered?
The -2 stops indicates the current exposure ( when you meter ) is way more under. It can be 2 or more stops under e.g. -5 stops but will only show -2

If the current exposure is within the camera settings, it will fall +2 to -2 range.

How to check ? Use Av mode with flash off and get the current exposure settings e.g. f4, 1/5sec, ISO 400

switch back to Manual mode, use same settings f4, ISO 400 and 1/5sec, your exposure indicator should show +0. Ensure you meter the correct same spot.

so what u are saying is that i shld play ard with the 2 settings to get the right exposure? but what if i am shooting in a studio environment? does that make a diff?

To elaborate alittle from Redsun answer... if the exposure is showing 2 stop under exposed... open your appeture to 2 stop bigger or increase the length of your shutter speed will help you get the exposure reading more towards the right exposure.

you can also try to increase the appeture by 1 stop and 1 stop for your shutter speed to get the correct exposure. It depends on how you play around wiht the settings and what is the effect that you may want to achieve.

The -2 stops indicates the current exposure ( when you meter ) is way more under. It can be 2 or more stops under e.g. -5 stops but will only show -2

If the current exposure is within the camera settings, it will fall +2 to -2 range.

How to check ? Use Av mode with flash off and get the current exposure settings e.g. f4, 1/5sec, ISO 400

switch back to Manual mode, use same settings f4, ISO 400 and 1/5sec, your exposure indicator should show +0. Ensure you meter the correct same spot.

i see. so it will apply to studio or is it another ballgame altogether?

To elaborate alittle from Redsun answer... if the exposure is showing 2 stop under exposed... open your appeture to 2 stop bigger or increase the length of your shutter speed will help you get the exposure reading more towards the right exposure.

you can also try to increase the appeture by 1 stop and 1 stop for your shutter speed to get the correct exposure. It depends on how you play around wiht the settings and what is the effect that you may want to achieve.

i see. would it be normal to be underexposed for low key lighting?

In studio - assuming you're using strobes instead of continuous lights - you'd normally set the shutter speed to X-sync and aperture according to the readings from the strobe. It will certainly be showing -2EV on the camera meter but that doesn't matter as you're not using ambient light for exposure anyway.

In studio - assuming you're using strobes instead of continuous lights - you'd normally set the shutter speed to X-sync and aperture according to the readings from the strobe. It will certainly be showing -2EV on the camera meter but that doesn't matter as you're not using ambient light for exposure anyway.

ahhhhhh .... thanks!!!! so it doesn't matter. i was worried my shots turned up underexposed although they looked fine on the lcd n histogram.

Status
Not open for further replies.