canon 40d/50d or nikon d90?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audiojack

Jan 12, 2009
Hello guys, this is my first post here...great forum! definitely learn a lot and I want to purchase my first DSLR...I tried 450D,D60,40D,50D,D80,D90 for a rough short time while at shops and with that time regarding about ergonomics and grip, I feel the ones that feel good and comfortable for me are the D90/D80/40D/50D...the other cameras like 450D, D60 or D40 etc I feel is quite small in size and due to my big palms, it doesnt really feel at home in my palms.. perhaps I will have to get used to it more but the D90 and 50D are much better grip for me.. I am looking at a budget <2k.. can exceed by a bit but really not more than 2200. I think I have to also include dry cabinet ($118), uv filters + cleaning kits ($50 total?), bag (free if buy from AP), 4gb card (free frm AP).

So which camera should I get? I am probably getting from AP. I think I am gearing more towards the D90 since its a great camera and is at a competitive price and value for money with the 18-105mm kit at $1680. While the 40D can compete with the D90 at that price range but probably pay a bit more if I want a better lens than the default 18-55mm. Should I even for the 50D as a first camera? What advantages and disadvantages do the 40D/50D/D90 have with each other? And is it a wise decision to lower my budget a bit to get the D80 and save for a better lens, though its price isnt that far away from a upgraded D90. Using this camera as a start to photography and also for school and portfolio basis as well as I am going for a trip soon and I need to invest in one. Thanks guys.. much appreciated for the amazing help here.

I was in the same situation as you, and I chose D90. The reason was that.. I like the way D90 handles aperture and shutter with 2 different ring. So that I can easily adjust aperture and shutter. Another thing I like D90 over 40D is its ISO performance. Yes of course, 18-105mm did catch my interest also.

What canon has advantages has, it has wife range of lens and canon lens are abit cheaper than nikon lens. But it is only applies if you want to build your lens inventory.

I suggest you to try all the camera. You can try the camera at Harvey normal, Best, Canon showroom, etc. Then you choose the one that you really feel good with. Regardless of the brand, both canon and nikon are good.

i got a 40D from John316 3 days ago and returned it 2 days later for a Nikon D90, which i received yesterday :bsmilie:

the 40D has a better built IMHO but since i'm buying it for a 11 year old budding photographer, the D90 suits him better.

At $1800 for two lens, its good value too. :p

Hello hi, I was pretty much going to buy the D90 but in the end went with the 50D..did i go wrong and make a wrong decision? Bought a 17-85mm USM lens + the body..I tried 40D/50D/D90 again and I was quite confused..I couldnt get the feel of the D90..it felt quite slightly smaller in my hands since I have pretty huge giant hands and long fingers and my hands might tend to shake around. the plasticky feel didnt feel comfortable too..liked the build and size of the 50D as well as the sturdy build but it seems the Nikon D90 has better reviews compared to the 50D and better image quality/High ISO performance? Liked the button and dial layout/handling as well except only for the handling of the auto-focus which the D90 is more simpler and easier. Bad thing is 50D/40D is pretty heavier than the D90 counterpart due to the magnesium alloy build but feels more sturdier. And I read the 50D performs noisier levels than the 40D at high ISO (But I thought 50D has a higher resolution sensor)? I couldnt tell there since I am first time buyer and I think the grip and feel affected my whole decision.

I know you guys must have say budget blowed!! but my dad was the one paying for it and he pretty much prefered to get the Canon since its better build and has this bias over Canon products as the supreme camera product and he said spend a bit more investing in a good one is better. Hence budget was one of the lower concern. But still pretty much up to my decision. I still have it all in the box unopened and with zechraffie saying he did a change, I might still consider changing but would they refund me the cash back? (Bought frm Alan Photo at $2500 with 4gb card+uvfilter+cleaningkit+canon bag).

Is the grip and handling of a DSLR something that takes time to get used to like the D90? Or greatly choosing the camera with the grip and feel in your hands best is good? Will the Canon 50D be too much for a newbie photographer? (thought it really isnt a concern..can always learn and I dabble in 3D and digital art so photography would be not as daunting)

Not saying I made a bad purchase (I do like the 50D, wish it was lighter) just that I feel uncertain about getting the 50D and unnecessarily wasting his extra cash when I could go for the 40D with better lens (17-55 f2.8? 18-200 IS?) where I read its better in some aspects or D90 with better lens. One thing good is Canon lenses tend to be cheaper than the Nikon counterparts if I want to upgrade later.

Last edited:
u already bought it, think so much also no use. just go out and shoot.

i got a 40D from John316 3 days ago and returned it 2 days later for a Nikon D90, which i received yesterday :bsmilie:

You mean they allow you to return the camera to them if not satisfy?
Did you use the 40D during the 2 days ownership?
I can understand if you return and exchange for the same brand/model due to a lemon.
But exchanging to another brand/model? :think:

You mean they allow you to return the camera to them if not satisfy?
Did you use the 40D during the 2 days ownership?
I can understand if you return and exchange for the same brand/model due to a lemon.
But exchanging to another brand/model? :think:

Yah quite amazed can change to another brand or even model..never hear before.

Yah quite amazed can change to another brand or even model..never hear before.

I've done this several times with lenses and some other stuff at CP before , normally within a week and is an upgrade , not downgrade.

I've done this several times with lenses and some other stuff at CP before , normally within a week and is an upgrade , not downgrade.

Then better not to buy from this shop, you may end up getting "USED" set....

Then better not to buy from this shop, you may end up getting "USED" set....

When they open the sealed lens boxes, they actually use a lighter on the sealing sticker to melt the glue so that it can be re-sealed like new. :p

From a buyer's point of view, it's great.
Imagine after buying a camera/lens, went back and used them.
After 2-3 days, you are not satisfy with them and went back to the shop to exchange.
You choose a more expensive camera/lens this time.
The shop gladly pass you the camera/lens after you top up the diff.
Then you think to yourself, "Hey! This is great service!"

But i pity the next buyer who will buy the used camera/lens.
Paying brand new price but getting a used product.

But i pity the next buyer who will buy the used camera/lens.
Paying brand new price but getting a used product.

Next time better bring a laptop along to check the shutter count... if it is more than 10... means it is a used set.... :think:

I've done with with a merlin steadicam , upgraded to a merlin from another cheaper system which was lousy, this was in a few days , honestly speaking it is barely used , they will check the product , warranty of course must be unfilled.

I did it with a CZ 24-70 as well. i had purchased a $700 24-105 lens but was not satisfied with the results when i did some tests, and upgrade to a $2599 CZ 24-70 about 5 days later also, by topping up the difference.

This is much better than ebaying , selling it online etc , its good for consumers in fact . This is widely practiced in the us.

Last edited:
Hello hi, I was pretty much going to buy the D90 but in the end went with the 50D..did i go wrong and make a wrong decision? Bought a 17-85mm USM lens + the body..I tried 40D/50D/D90 again and I was quite confused..I couldnt get the feel of the D90..it felt quite slightly smaller in my hands since I have pretty huge giant hands and long fingers and my hands might tend to shake around. the plasticky feel didnt feel comfortable too..liked the build and size of the 50D as well as the sturdy build but it seems the Nikon D90 has better reviews compared to the 50D and better image quality/High ISO performance? Liked the button and dial layout/handling as well except only for the handling of the auto-focus which the D90 is more simpler and easier. Bad thing is 50D/40D is pretty heavier than the D90 counterpart due to the magnesium alloy build but feels more sturdier. And I read the 50D performs noisier levels than the 40D at high ISO (But I thought 50D has a higher resolution sensor)? I couldnt tell there since I am first time buyer and I think the grip and feel affected my whole decision. I know you guys must have say budget blowed!! but my dad was the one paying for it and he pretty much prefered to get the Canon since its better build and has this bias over Canon products as the supreme camera product and he said spend a bit more investing in a good one is better. Hence budget was one of the lower concern. But still pretty much up to my decision. I still have it all in the box unopened and with zechraffie saying he did a change, I might still consider changing but would they refund me the cash back? (Bought frm Alan Photo at $2500 with 4gb card+uvfilter+cleaningkit+canon bag). Is the grip and handling of a DSLR something that takes time to get used to like the D90? Or greatly choosing the camera with the grip and feel in your hands best is good? Will the Canon 50D be too much for a newbie photographer? (thought it really isnt a concern..can always learn and I dabble in 3D and digital art so photography would be not as daunting) Not saying I made a bad purchase (I do like the 50D, wish it was lighter) just that I feel uncertain about getting the 50D and unnecessarily wasting his extra cash when I could go for the 40D with better lens (17-55 f2.8? 18-200 IS?) where I read its better in some aspects or D90 with better lens. One thing good is Canon lenses tend to be cheaper than the Nikon counterparts if I want to upgrade later.

Die Lah You...Finish...No hope already. How come you kanna ended up with a 50D instead of a D90. What made you do it?!?!:sticktong

Actually, you may have mentioned your reason, but your paragraph was so long that I can't get past the first 2 lines...:sweat:

AMediaLuz said:
Die Lah You...Finish...No hope already. How come you kanna ended up with a 50D instead of a D90. What made you do it?!?!

Actually, you may have mentioned your reason, but your paragraph was so long that I can't get past the first 2 lines...

Why do you say that? I know its a bit long but i have break the chunks of text to make it more readable. I guess you should read what I said at least before making such assumption.

http://www.bargaincity.com.sg/nikon-18105mm-lens-p-918.html

Just found out this... hmm a good buy??
was thinking of getting nikon d300 or d90...
i am a newbie... but i wanna get a semi pro de cam... so i dun need to upgrade ^u^
any advice?

If you can get the d300 or d700, then get them instead of D90. So that you don't have to upgrade them in the future.
Just my thoughts, I am sure there're lots of cs friends out there who feel differently.

If you can get the d300 or d700, then get them instead of D90. So that you don't have to upgrade them in the future.
Just my thoughts, I am sure there're lots of cs friends out there who feel differently.

i'm using an entry level dslr. i shoot for my own pleasure, thus the current output i'm getting from this camera is more than good enough.

no one really have to upgrade at all (except for those making a living from it). i was nearly infected by the BBB poison, then i figured i would be better off shooting more before deciding on where to go from here with this hobby.

http://www.bargaincity.com.sg/nikon-18105mm-lens-p-918.html

Just found out this... hmm a good buy??
was thinking of getting nikon d300 or d90...
i am a newbie... but i wanna get a semi pro de cam... so i dun need to upgrade ^u^
any advice?

S$1,756.07 (Excl GST)
S$1,879.00 nett (Incl GST)

S$1,879.00, still cheaper than the RRP of S$1,988.00.
Which Best Denki, Courts are selling at.

If you did a search on the pricings for D90, the prices fellow CSers paid for their 18-105mm kit is $1,650 ~ $1,750.
Bargaincity states free what dry cabinet, screen protector, blah blah blah, are all added into the price. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.