Canon 400D vs Nikon 40x vs Nikon D80

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaQink

Aug 24, 2007
Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm new to this forum, hope to learn from all of you here! :)

I'm new 2 dSLRs but am currently in search for one. However, I'm in a dilemma as to which one 2 purchase as there are different kits combinations available, and what other accessories I would need to get started. I've a budget of approx. $2000 inclusive of body and at least one lens.

I'm keen on nature/landscape and portraits. Which of the above models would you recommend.

Million of thanks in advance!!!

I'd go for a Nikon when it comes to landscape photography. I'm sure the 1.5X FOVCF will come in handy.

If you looking at Nikon, D40 should be fine. With your budget, you can get many other items as well.

Go test out the feel in your hands.... you'll be able to decide better....

With the budget of $2K, perhaps can consider Nikon D80. Understand that Nikon camera is make in Thailand not Japan. So the choice is yours to select.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the quick responses... Just curious, all the recommendations were for Nikon dSLRs... how come there are no one rooting 4 canon? is there something about canon dSLRs that i'm not aware of?

:confused:

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the quick responses... Just curious, all the recommendations were for Nikon dSLRs... how come there are no one rooting 4 canon? is there something about canon dSLRs that i'm not aware of?

:confused:

theres nothing wrong with canon.. just try these cameras at the shop..
the one you like is the one you should get because its you who's shooting, not them ;)

You have to try to know which cam suit you best.... 400D grip is a turn off to some..... Cannot rely on recommendation, review, etc.....

Trust yourself... and read up more..... :)

since u have quite a nice budget, i'd recommend the d40, AND you can add len(es). since u are new, i think the nikon 18-200 VR will fit you quite nicely, as it will cost about 2k with the D40. the vr will also be a good ++

d80 would be better choice...

In addition to reading up on cameras, also read up on lenses.
the selection of lenses available will be an important factor.
Imagine buying Nikon and then your ideal lens is Canon, or vice versa.

In addition to reading up on cameras, also read up on lenses.
the selection of lenses available will be an important factor.
Imagine buying Nikon and then your ideal lens is Canon, or vice versa.

Also, do a price comparison, and do budget for body and lenses too... this is a long expensive road.... ;)

to the threadstarter, beware of D40/D40X, it can only use some of the newer lens in Nikon's arsenal.

DSLR is an investment. Why don't you visit the showrooms and test the camera realtime before you decide? It includes the handling of the camera as well, rather than just pure recommendations. Ultimately, you are the one using the camera.

If you do not mind second hand cameras, you may want to consider 20d or 30d as well?

go vivocity 2nd flr best denki there is it?:bsmilie: they put a range of slr for u to try and good for shy people like mi who dont try leow dont buy.

go vivocity 2nd flr best denki there is it?:bsmilie: they put a range of slr for u to try and good for shy people like mi who dont try leow dont buy.

Another good place for hands-on is Courts in Tampines. Sea of cameras (P&S and dSLRs) for you to try your hearts out ;). You've got to touch it, feel it before paying for it!

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the advice! Walked into a shop yesterday at centrepoint and got my hands on a D40x and D80... agreed wif suggestions here dat i really need 2 feel the physical ting in my hands 2 have an idea wad would suit me!!! thanks 4 the wonderful piece of advice!!!

the D80 feels comfy in my hands but kind of heavy, while I like the weight of D40x, its feels tiny in my hands (i got big hands)!!!

So I'm in 2 minds... further I suppose lenses would also affect my decision as the D40x comes with 18-55 kit lens ($1300) while the D80 comes with 18-135 ($1900), and if i add a 55-200 lens ($450), then it acutally cost about the same. :confused:

i din have the chance to check out the canon 400D yesterday, but i suppose i would be even more :confused: after dat??!! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.