Canon 400D Photo result

Status
Not open for further replies.

garrygoh

Jan 30, 2008
West of Singapore
Hi guys, recently I just bought a Canon 400D with basic kit lens I.
I notice that when I zoom a little into the photo, it is not sharp.
Please advice.

My settings are 1/500 F5.6, ISO100, Image Quality Fine & Large.
Below is the photo I took today at a temple.

IMG_0720.jpg

picture taken at KMS ?

Yup taken at KMS, just wondering why when I zoom in alittle the photo became not sharp.
Is it because of the basic lens ?

That might be a factor, I'm not very sure either. Maybe the pro can answer your question? :thumbsup:

EDIT: Try smaller aperture too, such as f/8 or f/14

Which part did you focus at? Also, you're shooting at f/5.6, hence the depth of field is shallow. Not all the details will be sharp.

And since this is the kit lens, the image quality isn't as good as compared to other lenses. There are many reasons la basically :)

garry i believe you should try shooting at f8 and above i believe it should be able to give u a sharper pic.

Hi,

My advice, not only do you try f8 and above. Try to switch AF points. Focus both subject far and near. Also to be precise and absolutely sure, use a tripod.

I agree even though this may sounds crazy but until you have done all this plus using another lens to pinpoint that this is not a lens problem, then can you actually says that it is the camera problem.

Hope this helps.
;)

That might be a factor, I'm not very sure either. Maybe the pro can answer your question? :thumbsup:

EDIT: Try smaller aperture too, such as f/8 or f/14

f8 would be good for the 18-55mm kit lens (non IS). f/14 would cause a little softness.

imo. the sharpness is there still, use of smaller aperture would bring the whole roof into focus.

f/8 or f/11 for me. I hardly shoot the kit lens wide open, even when indoors. I prefer to bounce flash with f/5.6 or f/8, depending on subject.

Try to play around with the f-stop... work your way around the limitations of the kit lens. :)

Hi,

My advice, not only do you try f8 and above. Try to switch AF points. Focus both subject far and near. Also to be precise and absolutely sure, use a tripod.

I agree even though this may sounds crazy but until you have done all this plus using another lens to pinpoint that this is not a lens problem, then can you actually says that it is the camera problem.

Hope this helps.
;)
Hi Jet Lim, I'm using AF mode, may be i'll try f8 and above and see how is the results..
Thanks alot guys for the advices and Happy Lunar New Year =)

Guys, a curious question. Will the basic kit lens cause the image to be not as sharp as those pro lens ?

Guys, a curious question. Will the basic kit lens cause the image to be not as sharp as those pro lens ?

quality of the optical glass is different.. kit lens tend to be affordable, so quality is somewhat compromised.. for canon, the more ex types of lens come with higher grade optical glass..

that being said, not all cheap lens are bad... canon 50 f1.8 cost only 120+, but the image is GOOD

quality of the optical glass is different.. kit lens tend to be affordable, so quality is somewhat compromised.. for canon, the more ex types of lens come with higher grade optical glass..

that being said, not all cheap lens are bad... canon 50 f1.8 cost only 120+, but the image is GOOD
Thanks, how much do u paid for your 17-85mm f4-5.6 USM ?

mine was the kit II set .. so i i recall correctly, the kit I was retailing at 1.2K.. the Kit II at 1.76K ... got a batt grip with it also..

for more on the lens thingy, u can watch how canon lens are made here

or some technical details on the type of glass lens here

50 f/1.8 has good optics because its a prime. Prime lenses are cheaper and easier to make as they only cover one focal distance. Zoom lenses require more sophisticated construction that comprises of more elements and groups in order to meet the focal length versatility. As you can see, most primes have great optical quality and large apertures. You throw away convenience but you get affordable lens with good optical quality within your wallet's reach.

The more expensive a prime, the more the features. Such as ultrasonic motor (USM), weather sealing, metal lens mount and construction, advancements in optical quality and bokeh (background out of focus areas). L primes are expensive, but are generally the best lenses you can get for optical quality in the Canon arsenal.

Kit lens is cheaply manufactured. Doesn't mean you can't get great photos out of it. It just means that you have to work your way around its limitations, and in doing so, you learn more about photography in general, as well as your camera body and lenses you require. For me, the kit lens is just a stepping stone to greater things. I still keep my kit as my general purpose zoom. I have since outgrown it and for example, my next general-purpose zoom lens will be Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or the EF 17-40 f/4L.

Hope this sharing helps :) Happy CNY btw!

If the kit lens sharpness was as good as the pro lens sharpness... Nobody would buy pro lenses.

shoot more... learn all the Do's and Don't before you plunge in more expensive things...

it doesn't always mean that to have an expensive/pro lens equals to great photos...or (vice versa)...

... it all lies in the person behind the camera... :thumbsup:

The kit lens is known to be soft when focussed at infinity.I guess this is an instance of that issue.
I have been using the kit lens for a while and I dare say that the kit lens is in fact, sharper than some of the L zooms, except when focussed at infinity.This was at apertures like f8 though.
In terms of sharpness, the kit lens might be able to match up to the expensive lenses.But in terms of focussing speed, contrast, saturation, bokeh, build quality, etc,the kit lens simply is no match.
Another upside to the kit lens is that it is cheap and light.

One more point that we might have to take into consideration is that your lens or body might be experiencing back/front focussing inaccuracies.

Hi guys, recently I just bought a Canon 400D with basic kit lens I.
I notice that when I zoom a little into the photo, it is not sharp.
Please advice.

My settings are 1/500 F5.6, ISO100, Image Quality Fine & Large.
Below is the photo I took today at a temple.

IMG_0720.jpg

Hi Garry,
aside the aperture being a bit wide, the 'basic-kit lens' (I assume you're talking about the standard 18-55) is one of the cheapest but also 'clumsiest' and most opaque lens you can ever use.

Ciao

A.

Status
Not open for further replies.