Canon 400D or Pentax K10D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erm, sorry to crash in but i just need to check..... does the lenses of the main stream canon and nikon fit pentax?

PS: i do not hold sides just neutral and am asking as i am intending to buy a dslr during the pc show period.

Thanks

eh no each brand have their own specific mount so u cant fix a canon lens on a nikon and vice versa...well you can fix a nikon on a canon but u need a converter and u lose AF i tink

wat about pentax camera? Do they have the option of a converter? Cos if not then that could be a deterring factor.... hmmm....:sweat:

hmm if you're getting a certain brand,u might as well use 1st party lenses.imho i dun see a point in getting brand X camera and use brand y's lenses

wat about pentax camera? Do they have the option of a converter? Cos if not then that could be a deterring factor.... hmmm....:sweat:

Yes, Nikon lenses can be mounted on Pentax with an adaptor.

But what's the point? Most first-party lenses are in very good condition in the first place, and unless you like using manual focus (if you use another first-party lens on another brand you lose AF ability).. There is no point, since most Canon,Pentax,Nikon lens have a certain minimal standard of quality and performance.

IMHO its not just simply following the crowd. The crowd follows something for a reason not just blind following.
You say this.

And what is the reason? Can you isolate factors which say for sure this? If not, kindly do not mislead the people. That's like saying that in a country where people like to jump off buildings, it means that jumping off buildings is the best pastime to do.

You name me one merit of Ninon/Cakon, I will be able to give you another flaw in return. Same goes for every single brand out there in the market. There is no such thing as Nikon > other less popular brands or vice versa.

Not stating the points as this issue has been ongoing, and everyone knows that it will keep on going if we kept writing on it. Also, I am not into brandwar between N & C. They are the best 2 as they have their own forte on each side. It's something like Honda vs Toyota. Each has its own goodness. Of course, you know where does Proton stands.

The K10D's in body shake reduction alone is a HUGE advantage. Every and any lens mounted enjoys the benefit of shake reduction. The body is weather sealed. Handling wise the K10D or even K100D feels better than the plasticky 400D. With the Pentax, you got backward compatibility with older lenses. Better value for the price imho. If you're starting out even the K100D is an even better option (<$900 with kit lens new).

too late....i bought my 400D....i realise that all my lens are third party and not canon...not point in getting canon body...i can simply buy pentax to buy...cheaper and better...haiz

definitely K10D. Built,SR body and pro features.

You dont need to spend so much on IS lens and get the same results.

400D vs K10D on feature side, the former is a no show.

Built, please do try on K10D and 400D. The feel tells it all.

he's in dreamland guys... relax.

anyway i'd second creampuff's explanation.

It's called "pyramid of influence marketing" The strategy is to have the product endorsed and in the hands of individuals who represent the best of the particular field. The idea is that the masses who aspire to be like the top in the field will be motivated to buy the product (product association). Canon has immensely been successful in this form of marketing by putting their products in the hands of top professionals, but the analogy also applies to other areas - eg. Nike (golf- Tiger Woods). The fact that this form of marketing has proven to be successful does show how it can influence the crowd.

TS so quiet yet we make so many comments.. well..as for me..if TS can spend $$$ on original lenses..then go for canon...if he has MORE $$$ to spend...might as well go for SONY..;p Carl Zeiss BBB virus ..so dangerous :sweat:

The K10D's in body shake reduction alone is a HUGE advantage. Every and any lens mounted enjoys the benefit of shake reduction. The body is weather sealed. Handling wise the K10D or even K100D feels better than the plasticky 400D. With the Pentax, you got backward compatibility with older lenses. Better value for the price imho. If you're starting out even the K100D is an even better option (<$900 with kit lens new).

I am not too sure if this Pentax's body shake reduction works with every and any lens. Usually, with body shake reduction, one disadvantage is that it will only work with the original lenses and not third party lenses. Check it out.

From Steve's Digicam (I think) quoted by someone in DP review forums:

'To provide shake reduction, the cam must know the focal lenght of the lens in use. F, FA, D-FA and Da automatically relay this info to the cam. ....K100D allows users to manually input focal lenght via SR-menu....'

What another person said:

Any lens, from any manufacturer, that transmits focal length to the camera will work automatically with SR.

Any lens, from any manufacturer that does not transmit the focal length to the camera, will work with SR providing that the focal length is manual selected from the camera's menu. In the case of a zoom length, best results are gained from inputting the currently selected focal length.

thread link here

Well, it works with my bummed Sigma 70-300 macro lens!

I am not too sure if this Pentax's body shake reduction works with every and any lens. Usually, with body shake reduction, one disadvantage is that it will only work with the original lenses and not third party lenses. Check it out.

Don't know where you got your info but you're wrong on this. The Pentax K10D & K100D shake reduction works with ALL lenses that can be mounted on the camera, whether original Pentax or 3rd party brands. For older Pentax and 3rd party lenses that does not have the "A" auto-exposure setting on the aperture ring, one would have to manually set the focal length for the camera's SR algorithm.

Do a search for dreamland.

I suspect you'd find it in someone's location.. =D

haha...so horrible...tell me the answer....so i no need to search mah:p

oooo. This is in the pentax sub-forum?

haha. don't flame me.

to the TS: the camera and the photographer must strike a synonymous chord, and the best camera is what works with you best. The features, functions and camera dynamics mentioned here are nothing but mere considerations that you might want to take into account when you choose from 2 very worthy candidates (that is after you have played with both machines). As much as I would like to say "GO FOR CANON! WOOHOO", I have to consider give pentax the benefit of the doubt, mainly because I have never used one (except for the K100D) and don't know what makes it so superior to other camera brands. So choose carefully, as the camera is, essentially, an extension of your photographic self that allows for the best shooting experience as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.