Canon 400d or Nikon D40x?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msc2000

Feb 14, 2008
Thinking of getting my first DSLR......I have read many different articles and review on both these models. Understand that Nikon provide better kit lens than Canon??
Also, the package for Nikon is slightly cheaper than Canon, comparing that both comes with the kit lens.

Any advise?

Thanks.

MS

D40X is a VERY low-spec camera. There are MANY threads comparing these 2, i suggest you search.

And for Kit lens, Sony and Nikon provide a better one than Canon. And with the Sony you're not limited, since with the D40X you only get autofocus with the newer AFS and AFI lenses since Nikon removed the AF motor.

Please try reading these tips:

At almost all major camera stores. Your "what DSLR to buy" question pops up at least once a week, so you're going to get the exact same advice that's been repeated ad nauseum:

1. Figure out if you really need a DSLR
2. Figure out your budget; consider the cost of accessories, flash, lenses.
3. Based on budget, narrow the list of cameras. Then compare the feature set of the cameras in your budget to see which one you think you'd make the most use of.
4. Go and TRY all the cameras. Feel them in your hand. You'd be amazed how important it is for a camera to feel good in your hands.
5. And don't limit yourself... Fuji uses the same body and lenses as Nikon, there's Canon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax... Give them all a try.
6. TAKE YOUR TIME. Do not let the salesperson pressure you with their "now only deals" or "special accessories". Give the cameras a try, and think about it for a couple days. Think of which camera left the best impression on you.

if you want value for money, stick to nikon, though you might want to get the D60
CANON's user interface is very intuitive, Nikon's is slightly more complicated but gives full control on your camera settings
400D is definitely better than d40 but i suggest you go try out both cameras by borrowing from your friends, no point buying and regret it...
And if you are going to get the 400d, wait for the 450D to come out first, then the price will drop more..

if you want value for money, stick to nikon, though you might want to get the D60

I would disagree there, since you only get value for money on the Body; not having an AF motor means you spend more on lenses.

Thinking of getting my first DSLR......I have read many different articles and review on both these models. Understand that Nikon provide better kit lens than Canon??
Also, the package for Nikon is slightly cheaper than Canon, comparing that both comes with the kit lens.

Any advise?

Thanks.

MS

Bro
Dun start a war....... ;) :bsmilie:

I've used both before, so I might be able to help you.

Note: I own a Canon 400D, and of course I'll try to assimilate you to the canon side, but it's still your choice.

The 400D's user interface is very intuitive, and very similar to their line of compact / prosumer cameras. If you've used a canon compact camera, you'll be right at home with the 400D.

The Nikon D40x interface was.. weird to me. For someone who did photography on a Lumix Compact camera, everything that I didn't want on the interface was there. So it was difficult to control stuff like exposure, or change ISO etc (for ISO change- the Canon 400D has a dedicated button for that selection).

Good points are autofocus on Canon's cameras are done from the body. Nikon's autofocus is done on the lens. That makes Canon win over Nikon for now, since spending 'AF' on every lens that you buy in the future just isn't worth it to me.

400D uses CompactFlash (CF) cards as memory, while D40x uses SD cards.

The Nikons have auto-iso, something that is very useful if you want to shoot in manual modes (like aperture priority / shutter priority) and not want to be burdened with the changing of ISO (sensitivity). Both cameras do auto-iso on the basic 'point and shoot' mode (green rectangle on Canon 400D), but if you're going for a DSLR, point-and-shoot shouldn't exactly be the top priority on your mind. For this, Nikon wins.

I will not go into the technical details of both, since they're already compared to death all over the world. But I'll just tell you one thing, if you're comparing only the 400D vs D40x, I'd say, if you have the money, go down the Canon line. The 400D performs somewhat better and 'easier' for me (personal opinion).

You won't go wrong with either 2, so I'd suggest you hold / test / get a feel for both cameras at the shop (I hope you know which shop to go to: Cathay Photo, MS Color, John 3:16 please).

Hope this helps =) If you have any questions about the 400D you can contact me.

comparison is never-ending,
especially if you're a brand conscious person,
Canon is always competing with Nikon... (in this forum and in this thread) LOL :D
if you're not in the rush to purchase your first dSLR,
my suggestion is to wait for IT Show 08 and have a view and taste on all the dSLR available in the show,
get the feel and touch of the bodies before commiting :)

cheers, hope this will help you somehow ;p

I would disagree there, since you only get value for money on the Body; not having an AF motor means you spend more on lenses.

That also means that you won't end up buying old rubbish that doesn't work well with the camera. ;)

To the TS: I wouldn't buy the D40x since the D60 is replacing it and I believe the D60 to be a better camera than the Canon 400D or even the 450D. Yes, the kit lens of other entry level dSLRs beats the Canon kit lens.

I would said go read the reviews and see the photos from this 2 camera.. Hold it with yr hands and decide.. cant go wrong with either brands..

That also means that you won't end up buying old rubbish that doesn't work well with the camera. ;)

Must be a Nikon problem then... Since my 23-year-old lenses work perfectly. :)

Go and try it out yourself..... feel both Camera in your hand. Since you have not taken a stand on which brand to buy..... know that BOTH is just as good.... Both has their own fair share of problem & weakness.....

At the end of the day..... it is which one you felt better, holding in your hands that counts ;)

Go and try it out yourself..... feel both Camera in your hand. Since you have not taken a stand on which brand to buy..... know that BOTH is just as good.... Both has their own fair share of problem & weakness.....

At the end of the day..... it is which one you felt better, holding in your hands that counts ;)

And try not to limit yourself to C and N. There are fantastic cams from other manufacturers too.

And try not to limit yourself to C and N. There are fantastic cams from other manufacturers too.

Agree. I am a Canon user but if you are looking to save money on lenses you should check other make & model. Olympus comes with built-in stabaliser. So does Pentax and of course Sony.

You also need to have the feel of the (camera) body, the output color and etc.

Note : if you are interested in taking course, so far many "schools" are more "Nikon-based" as compared to other make and model i.e. they very familiar with features of the Nikon cameras. Thus they are able to share with you more tips on making the most of your camera.

Note : if you are interested in taking course, so far many "schools" are more "Nikon-based" as compared to other make and model i.e. they very familiar with features of the Nikon cameras. Thus they are able to share with you more tips on making the most of your camera.

Yup. and other manufacturers give free photography courses if you buy their cam. ;)

Thanks for all the information here. I did go to both Oriental and Allan for a look and feel. Understand that the Nikon D40x is obsoleted and the replacement is the D60.
I held both the Canon 400d and the Nikon D60, strangely enough, both grips were ok to me??!!

The best part of the visit was that the prices quoted were surprisingly very competitive...below $1K, with kit lens!!
I asked about some freebies prior and during the upcoming IT show, neither could give anything now.

I will wait for another 2 weeks to prolong my hunger to own a DSLR.

Thanks.

MS

If you dun need the free gifts, no point accepting them and pay for a higher price. I got my system from Orient without any free gifts @ a very good price (at that time of purchase).

Anyway, do note that Orient is issuing In-House warranty for some items. So do ask for details before your purchase. So far, I need not go back to them for any warranty but only getting more stuff. :)

CANON's user interface is very intuitive, Nikon's is slightly more complicated but gives full control on your camera settings.

Hi sorry, I interpret that as Nikon gives full control on camera settings but Canon does not.
Mind elaborating more on the details? I thought most if not all DSLRs do give full manual control with the Manual Exposure mode?

Cheerios,
WeiSheng

Thanks for all the information here. I did go to both Oriental and Allan for a look and feel. Understand that the Nikon D40x is obsoleted and the replacement is the D60.
I held both the Canon 400d and the Nikon D60, strangely enough, both grips were ok to me??!!

The best part of the visit was that the prices quoted were surprisingly very competitive...below $1K, with kit lens!!
I asked about some freebies prior and during the upcoming IT show, neither could give anything now.

I will wait for another 2 weeks to prolong my hunger to own a DSLR.

Thanks.

MS

Did you say you actually held the Nikon D60?

Here are some advantages of the 400D over the D40x

- 9 point AF system vs 3 point (D40x)
- Sensor cleaning (anti-dust facilities)
- Light sensor for when you place camera to your eye, the screen turns off by itself to save power
- Made In Japan vs Made In Thailand (D40x)
- Instant access to settings like ISO, AF, WB, PictureStyle, Metering rather than going through the menus to adjust.
However, the D40x kit is about $200 plus cheaper than a 400D so if you're on a budget, you won't go wrong choosing the Nikon.

d60 with len below 1K...
tat's a good price leh...

i'm also lookin to ownin a dslr soon.
was poisoned by my friend who showed mi his nikon "war gears"...

may i know wat len was bundled with the nikon d60?

Status
Not open for further replies.