canon 400d or nikon 40x

Status
Not open for further replies.

nook6965

Sep 7, 2006
East Singapore
Hallo all,
i am looking for a SLR. Please give comment on 400d and 40x thanks plenty:)

40x cheaper then 400d... 400d got 9 point af while 40x got 5 if not wrong... budget wise, 40x. quality wise...... i'm not sure. i prefer canon tho....

adding to the confusion.. Buy a D80!!! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Get the canon 400d for its superior features like lens compatibility and anti dust, if you're only considering 400d and d40x...

Get the nikon d40x if you just want the power of a Dslr and you're not into expanding your system and would like to use the cam as an advanced PnS.

Personally, I recommend a D80. Use one and you'll never think back about it. It has so much advance features for a photographer to grow into but yet not overwhelming (features and price wise).

Get the canon 400d for its superior features like lens compatibility and anti dust, if you're only considering 400d and d40x...

Get the nikon d40x if you just want the power of a Dslr and you're not into expanding your system and would like to use the cam as an advanced PnS.

Personally, I recommend a D80. Use one and you'll never think back about it. It has so much advance features for a photographer to grow into but yet not overwhelming (features and price wise).

frankly, i am impressed by d80 too:thumbsup:

but my finances dictate that i get the sony alpha...:sweat: especially with all the goodies, the price and stuff.... i have considered both the d40x and 400d but since i am starting afresh with no legacy lens, i tend to go for the alpha...

frankly, i am impressed by d80 too:thumbsup:

but my finances dictate that i get the sony alpha...:sweat: especially with all the goodies, the price and stuff.... i have considered both the d40x and 400d but since i am starting afresh with no legacy lens, i tend to go for the alpha...

Honestly, the sony alpha is a good choice also. Its like a dark horse! If its possible, you can try a 2nd hand d80 (which is wat i did) and a kit lens (not necessary the 18-135mm, i'm using the 18-70mm). This will set you back around $1500! I was at IMM today and i tried out the sony alpha. It felt plasticky and i don't quite like the ergonomics, like where they place the most used buttons, maybe I'm too used to the good ergonomics of the D80.

Honestly, the sony alpha is a good choice also. Its like a dark horse! If its possible, you can try a 2nd hand d80 (which is wat i did) and a kit lens (not necessary the 18-135mm, i'm using the 18-70mm). This will set you back around $1500! I was at IMM today and i tried out the sony alpha. It felt plasticky and i don't quite like the ergonomics, like where they place the most used buttons, maybe I'm too used to the good ergonomics of the D80.

mmm....yup. it feels plasticky....dunno abt the ergonomics coz it will be the first dslr i own...:embrass: however, i think for a first-timer like me, at that price of $1500, the warranty counts a lot...:bsmilie: coz i dunno what to really inspect and look for in a pre-owned set....:sweat:

I got a D40X recently. Not too bad one to start with for a begainner. Nikon kit lens IMO are way sharper then Canon's. The only draw back are lens in future with D40X but since you are new like me. I think kit lens be just right for the time being. depends how siao on are you :D for me i wanna get teh feel of DSLR and also pick it up at my pace.

The only plus pt i like about canon is the 7 pt AF. My Nikon has 3

How about the new Olympus E-510?

I got a D40X recently. Not too bad one to start with for a begainner. Nikon kit lens IMO are way sharper then Canon's. The only draw back are lens in future with D40X but since you are new like me. I think kit lens be just right for the time being. depends how siao on are you :D for me i wanna get teh feel of DSLR and also pick it up at my pace.

The only plus pt i like about canon is the 7 pt AF. My Nikon has 3

Be careful when you buy the d40x... alot of ppl sold their d40 / d40x after a few months because there were too many lenses that couldn't AF with it... canon kit lens might not be the best but it is good enough..... if you want you can just get the tamron 17-50 2.8 much better than either canon / nikon's kit lens.... btw you can't AF with the 17-50 if you use it on the d40x... come to think of it... there are no cheap telephoto or prime lenses that can AF with the d40x.....

I cannot comment much abt 400D (except its kinda small for me and no top LCD). But I heard its pretty good.

As for D40/x vs D80, long term.. better buy D80. Even if you were to give up 1/2 way, i think it can hold its value in the 2nd hand market pretty well. :)

Furthermore, D80 kit lens is rather decent (best kit lens IMO) and u get to buy and fully utilise the cheap and good 50mm f1.8!

Nice VR lens u've got bro.. and I think we neighbour lah.. ;p

Be careful when you buy the d40x... alot of ppl sold their d40 / d40x after a few months because there were too many lenses that couldn't AF with it... canon kit lens might not be the best but it is good enough..... if you want you can just get the tamron 17-50 2.8 much better than either canon / nikon's kit lens.... btw you can't AF with the 17-50 if you use it on the d40x... come to think of it... there are no cheap telephoto or prime lenses that can AF with the d40x.....

i know i have to get AF lenses when using D40 but as of yet i am only still starting out and getting the feel. what you say is true abt cheap lenses haha.. but aiya.. deends on how much you wanna get poisoned into photography :D

i know i have to get AF lenses when using D40 but as of yet i am only still starting out and getting the feel. what you say is true abt cheap lenses haha.. but aiya.. deends on how much you wanna get poisoned into photography :D

i dont know why but having owned both the d40 and d80 at the same time, i kept finding myself moving towards AFS lenses eventually, apart from that, whenever i wanted to take macro or any other artistic shots, i find myself flicking the AF switch off to MF (on d80) and focussing by eye.

dunno. this is my type of fun. if the camera does everything.. then the person behind the viewfinder just need to press the button no? :p sooo boring

Status
Not open for further replies.