Canon 35mm f1.4 or sigma 30mm f1.4

just a correction to what some have said... the Sigma 30mm CAN be used on FF and 1.3x crop, you just get vignetting which is quite artistically pleasing, or otherwise you can PP or crop those portions off.

u sure? sigma 30mm can be used on FF?

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/30mm-f14-ex-dc-hsm-sigma

30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM

For use with smaller chip APS-c and 4/3 cameras only

HSM (Hyper-Sonic Motor) ensures a quiet & high-speed auto focus

Aspherical glass elements offer correction for distortion

Special Low Dispersion (SLD) & ELD (Extraordinary Low Dispersion)glass provides optimum color correction & sharpness

A lens hood, front/rear lens cap and carrying case are included with the lens.

that vignetting on FF is horrible i can tell u. and u waste time removing that black patch vignetting.

Last edited:
haha.. can use is one thing but from what i see above the picture totally looks like **** man.. and no i have not 100% decided.. just leaning towards sigma - that's all.. anyway, from the looks of it the debate seems to be 50/50 over here.. haha.. but thanks anyway for the feedback.. i'll probably get it before my school starts by this week.. Will update you guys!

sinned79 said:
u sure? sigma 30mm can be used on FF?

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/30mm-f14-ex-dc-hsm-sigma

30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM

For use with smaller chip APS-c and 4/3 cameras only

HSM (Hyper-Sonic Motor) ensures a quiet & high-speed auto focus

Aspherical glass elements offer correction for distortion

Special Low Dispersion (SLD) & ELD (Extraordinary Low Dispersion)glass provides optimum color correction & sharpness

A lens hood, front/rear lens cap and carrying case are included with the lens.

that vignetting on FF is horrible i can tell u. and u waste time removing that black patch vignetting.

He was referring to using it while bearing in mind that there will be vignetting issue.

He was referring to using it while bearing in mind that there will be vignetting issue.

yeah i know but he did not state how serious the vignetting is.

there is a difference btw vignetting caused by lens (dark corners but looks natural which can be corrected during PP) and vignetting due to insuitable lens (just pitch black dark corners which cannot be corrected via PP and u can only crop).

Sorry to hijack the tread but I share a similar issue too.

Actually with the advancement of technology, does FF and crop makes a difference? IQ kept on improving and performance is the hot selling factor. I owned a 60D and I loved it totally even though there are some setback but manageable. The sigma 30mm F1.4 is a lens which I am considering too but I am also not sure if I should own it when I have a Canon 50mm F1.4 and EFS 17-55 F2.8. My main subject is my daughter and 50mm is hard to shoot when I am too near to her, 17-55 is a good lens but F2.8 do not give me the nice shallow depth of field. The crop factor is really bothering me, always need to x1.6 when shopping for lens.

I believe in the quality of L lenses but it is just whether is it justifiable between the cost and usage. With the good reputation and reliability of Canon, I do not think they will anyhow place a red rubber band over a lens right :p Some claimed that it is worthwhile to buy a L because the values means nothing after achieving thousands of beautiful photos.

I cannot decide.

Sorry to hijack the tread but I share a similar issue too.

Actually with the advancement of technology, does FF and crop makes a difference? IQ kept on improving and performance is the hot selling factor. I owned a 60D and I loved it totally even though there are some setback but manageable. The sigma 30mm F1.4 is a lens which I am considering too but I am also not sure if I should own it when I have a Canon 50mm F1.4 and EFS 17-55 F2.8. My main subject is my daughter and 50mm is hard to shoot when I am too near to her, 17-55 is a good lens but F2.8 do not give me the nice shallow depth of field. The crop factor is really bothering me, always need to x1.6 when shopping for lens.

I believe in the quality of L lenses but it is just whether is it justifiable between the cost and usage. With the good reputation and reliability of Canon, I do not think they will anyhow place a red rubber band over a lens right :p Some claimed that it is worthwhile to buy a L because the values means nothing after achieving thousands of beautiful photos.

I cannot decide.

Well... I own neither of the lens, but the following quote from www.the-digital-picture.com might help you decide,

Canon's most-similar lens aperture-wise is the slightly longer focal length Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM Lens. This is a much more expensive option, but the Canon 35 L is a sharper lens (especially in the corners as can be expected as it is a full-frame lens). It is also larger, more flare prone, and it focuses closer. The Canon shows CA more frequently in specular highlights while the Sigma has more distortion.

So depending on what you want in your lens and whether it is worth it for the amount of money paid for Canon's lens.

I prefer sigma for better CA control & wider.

You know Sigma, you need to calibrate it to make the lens shine!

I prefer sigma for better CA control & wider.

You know Sigma, you need to calibrate it to make the lens shine!

I agree. Sigma is really awesome once you calibrate it or if you are lucky you get one without FF or BF issues. =)
It's really a nice piece of lens and well worth the price.

I agree. Sigma is really awesome once you calibrate it or if you are lucky you get one without FF or BF issues. =)
It's really a nice piece of lens and well worth the price.

:thumbsup:

If the 30mm f1.4 Siggy can be used on FF without vignetting, I will definitely buy it.

Anyhow, the Canon 35mm f1.4 is just pure magic on FF. Don't know about it on crop, as I never use it before on crop. Well....if money is no issue, then the 35mm f1.4L. But if you are shooting as a hobby, just get the Sigma 30mm f1.4. Many swear by this lens...:)

Well, this lens does come in FF compatible model, the 30mm EX DG. Get the sigma and if u really like it so much, sell the DC and get a DG once u upgrade to FF.

As for calibration, u can chk it before purchase. Mine needs no calibration. So, dun worry too much. More often, ppl will voice their focus issues with the sigma but for every complain, there might be 10, 20 or 30 over gd copies.

For a peasant like me, I dun earn my living from these equipments. Thus the obvious choice as a hobbyist.

Well, this lens does come in FF compatible model, the 30mm EX DG. Get the sigma and if u really like it so much, sell the DC and get a DG once u upgrade to FF.

There is only Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM and not DG as you've claimed.

May I know how long does the lens calibration takes? Its at APD, Bukit Merah right?

There is only Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM and not DG as you've claimed.

Couple of months back I posted a question on this as I was rather confused myself. No one including G@@gle could give me an answer.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/sd1-30mm-f14-ex-dg-hsm-sigma

Eventually after much searching I was convinced that it was an error on Sigma's part but then again who knows if they might eventually come out with a DG version? Because up till now they have not rectified this error.

Couple of months back I posted a question on this as I was rather confused myself. No one including G@@gle could give me an answer.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/sd1-30mm-f14-ex-dg-hsm-sigma

Eventually after much searching I was convinced that it was an error on Sigma's part but then again who knows if they might eventually come out with a DG version? Because up till now they have not rectified this error.

dat label on the lens still looks like DC to me. most probably is Sigma's error.

SD1_30mm.png

maybe someone should contact Sigma to clarify?

The link on the Sigma site states "This truly groundbreaking digital SLR camera incorporates a 46 megapixel (4,800x3,200x3 layers) 24x16mm APS-C X3 direct image sensor." Its quite clearly an APSC sensor which would suit the 30mm.

The DG designation is probably a typo because on the wide angle primes page, it clearly states DC. So its Sigma's fault that there's so much confusion. If they did come up with a DG version, I would be interested too. ;)

The link on the Sigma site states "This truly groundbreaking digital SLR camera incorporates a 46 megapixel (4,800x3,200x3 layers) 24x16mm APS-C X3 direct image sensor." Its quite clearly an APSC sensor which would suit the 30mm.

The DG designation is probably a typo because on the wide angle primes page, it clearly states DC. So its Sigma's fault that there's so much confusion. If they did come up with a DG version, I would be interested too. ;)

Yeah a Sigma 30mm DG will be very interesting! I love my 30mm DC on my 60D!

Well, Sigma 30mm f1.4 not a bad choice for 7D, i'm using it & my 28-135 IS just sit in the beg for long time.

Below is some photo taken 7D + Sigma 30mm f1.4 at f2.2 ~ f2.5

img9477v.jpg

img9334n.jpg

img9264x.jpg

Well, Sigma 30mm f1.4 not a bad choice for 7D, i'm using it & my 28-135 IS just sit in the beg for long time.

Below is some photo taken 7D + Sigma 30mm f1.4 at f2.2 ~ f2.5

img9477v.jpg

img9334n.jpg

img9264x.jpg

30mm is highly recommended for CF cameras really. but then if u intend to upgrade to FF and u have the budget, just go straight to 35L.

Some reviewers call it King of the Crop for a reason.