Canon 30D vs Canon 350D vs Nikon D80

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeromevo

Nov 27, 2006
SENGKANG, FERNVALE
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

i had been looking at clubsnap for awhile.. cant sign what in the past.. not sure y but now i had sign up and This is my first post. :)

I am not a newbie & not sure what i m..

I do not have my own camera. I have been using my teacher FujiFilm Finepix S5500, my school FujiFilm Finepix S9500 & Canon EOS 30D..

in my cca, i have been using a Canon 350D (no vertical grip), 18-55mm filtered kit lens & Canon 75-300mm.. also the Nikon D50, 18-55mm filtered kit lens..

In school there is no speedlite for S9500 or any lens filter.. the 30D (no vertical grip) has a 18-55mm filtered kit lens, sigma 70-300mm, 580ex.

so thats all about my intro..

i would like to have my own camera..

as you guys know, i have been using that 30D & :heart: its lots.. that is my first choice

so its like this:

1) Canon EOS 30D (The one i like & most pro)
2) Nikon D80 (average)
3) Canon EOS 350D (cheapest)

one thing i would like to let all of you know.. im not rich & not here to show off anything..

im not considering for 400D

if i get the 350D or D80, i would get sigma 18-200mm or 28-300mm.. but if im getting a good 30D.. im considering of getting better lens as my kit lens like 17-85mm IS.

so please help in my decision..

thanks,

welcome to CS

i don't know much about the canon system
but i think the D80 is camera enough for me
and when my skills improve and the camera is holding me back
then i'll upgrade again.

welcome to CS

i don't know much about the canon system
but i think the D80 is camera enough for me
and when my skills improve and the camera is holding me back
then i'll upgrade again.

hi, thanks for welcoming me to CS.. to me, i feel D80 is just nice.. the 350D is basic to me.. 30D will be pro..

can get a second hand 20D and a decent lens
20D not much less "pro" than 30D haha

can get a second hand 20D and a decent lens
20D not much less "pro" than 30D haha

Get the 10D. CHeaper, quieter, and the feel of it is just as "pro". When you outgrow the 10D, then upgrade lor.. this way is cheaper then starting at 30D.

hi, thanks for welcoming me to CS.. to me, i feel D80 is just nice.. the 350D is basic to me.. 30D will be pro..

the 350D is basic but can turn 'pro' when user is pro. heck, even the 300D turns out pro pics if the photog is good. limitation is almost always the photog.....

all are same but not quite the same. as long as it is something you like (eg the brand, the desig, the interface, etc..) all others don't matter. just get the one you like most.

all are same but not quite the same. as long as it is something you like (eg the brand, the desig, the interface, etc..) all others don't matter. just get the one you like most.

i like the 30D, does that means i get the 30D??

im just 15.. a sec 3 student.. a school photographer.. next year im going to take alot for school.. estimate more than 15K.. most of all, i hate borrowing..

decent lenses..

Nikon D80 = Nikkor 18-200mm :lovegrin: or Sigma 18-200mm
Canon 30D = Canon 17-85mm IS, 70-200mm F2.8L IS (Dream) :lovegrin:
Canon 350D = Sigma 18-200mm (everything will be cheap, lol)

Nikon D200 = 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 VR f2.8
Nikon D80 = 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 VR f2.8

also can

bro, too X la.. u think i dun 1 meh..

i also not even looking into D200.. reason: no auto mode..u know ah.. sometime u ask people help u to take group photo ah.. people dunno how to use one le.. i dun use auto la.. but have auto still better la..

my camera must have battery / vertical grip

bro, too X la.. u think i dun 1 meh..

i also not even looking into D200.. reason: no auto mode..u know ah.. sometime u ask people help u to take group photo ah.. people dunno how to use one le.. i dun use auto la.. but have auto still better la..

my camera must have battery / vertical grip

Just set the settings before passing it to them, no auto mode is a lousy reason for not buying the d200 over the d80. If you tell me something like price I'd be more convinced.

Frankly, do you know what the differences between the cameras you mentioned are? Other than the size of the lcd? If you don't know you shouldn't anyhow spend the money, for something like a 300D or 10D(for the better interfact) as someone mentioned will bring you to exactly the same output. Seriously, the least important thing to making a photo is the size of the lcd.
In any case, the 350d's lcd is the same size as the 20ds. You might as well strike that off your list then.

Just set the settings before passing it to them, no auto mode is a lousy reason for not buying the d200 over the d80. If you tell me something like price I'd be more convinced.

Frankly, do you know what the differences between the cameras you mentioned are? Other than the size of the lcd? If you don't know you shouldn't anyhow spend the money, for something like a 300D or 10D(for the better interfact) as someone mentioned will bring you to exactly the same output. Seriously, the least important thing to making a photo is the size of the lcd.
In any case, the 350d's lcd is the same size as the 20ds. You might as well strike that off your list then.

i know the differences between those camera i mention.. the megapixal.. this n that.. blah blah.. many things.. i prefer things im used to.. i know the 18-55mm lens mayb very good.. n i agree.. i had used it.. can do many things with it.. if u 1 me 2 b reasonable.. can.. i not getting it due to zoom range.. its too short.. if my answer is not reasonable.. i can just say.. o.. its too soft.. it sucks..

I agree on this. Usually, i set everything swee swee on manual mode (Shutter, aperture, flash output etc) and the person just click the shutter... I even prefocus... Lol.

I agree on this. Usually, i set everything swee swee on manual mode (Shutter, aperture, flash output etc) and the person just click the shutter... I even prefocus... Lol.

k la guys.. just admit something la.. sometimes lazy la.. seriously.. do u use auto mode.. for me sometimes.. i personally using shutter priority & manual..

k la guys.. just admit something la.. sometimes lazy la.. seriously.. do u use auto mode.. for me sometimes.. i personally using shutter priority & manual..

Haha... I think i onli used auto once or twice when i first started dslr shooting then use program...

Nowadays, i mainly use manual, ocasionally Av if the lighting is ok or Tv when i do panning...

When i am lazy... I just use Av and set the aperture to 2.8 and just snap... Auto is a no no;)

ya..

im leaning toward Canon.. Wish to start a new.. my Grand Uncle uses Nikon..

so.. back to main point.. which camera do you guys recommend? what lenses should i get?? i dun think need a wide angle.. but i sure need telephoto lens for sports as i will be taking sports photo for school.. i would like to start from 17mm or 18mm.. end at 200mm or 300mm..

my idea lens:
1) Sigma 17-70mm
2) Sigma 70-200mm
3) Sigma 70-300mm
4) Sigma 18-200mm
5) Nikkor 18-200mm VR (if i get Nikon)
6) Canon 17-85mm IS (if i get Canon)
7) Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS (if i get Canon) :lovegrin: (too far $$$)

what setting do you have to do if you want other to use the camera? just set the aperture and let the camera decide on the shutter. if too dark, you just pop up the flash and let the TTL do the job. :thumbsup:

hi there welcome to CS. you are lucky to have such a rich school. i was from photog society in school. only 2 D70s with kit lens and sb 600s. and got 15 members rotate. lol.

i believe you have a lot of experience. you will not go wrong with a 30D. get a grip too.

invest your money to get a very decent general purpose lens. perhaps the 24-70 2.8 or the 17-55 2.8 and a 430EX.

do not consider telephotos until you are very sure of what you want to shoot. telephoto zooms are some money :D

must be confident in urself :D

are you from SAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.