Canon 30D or 400D

Status
Not open for further replies.

asterixsg

May 22, 2006
Somewhere in this creation
Hello all,
I could do with some advice from you experts.

I have a Canon 30D and am quite happy with it. A friend of mine (new to SLR photography) wants to buy the Canon 400D and asked me for advice. I almost said "go ahead and buy the 400D. should be good value for money" and immediately regretted because I've never handled the 400D ever.

I read the specs of 400D on Canon's website and also read a few reviews. All seem to suggest its a good model to start off with. The only drawback was the 3 fps (compared to 5 fps in 30D). Other than the placement of controls on the camera, I couldn't really tell much difference from the outside.

Any of you have handled both peices of equipment and have any comments ?
Really appreciate that.

Cheers.

Happy Chinese New Year.
Gong Xi Fa Cai.

Sorry folks. I should've posted this under Canon - Equipment discussions.
Moderator, appreciate if you could move this thread there.
Apologies and many thanks.

Is 3fps a big drawback?? How often do you even want to shoot at 3fps, and don't even talk about 5fps. Unless you shoot things like action sports, I think most photographers will shoot one frame at a time. Unless your own shooting style is to machine gun all the way.

The 400D is a capable DSLR, and will take some time for a beginner to outgrow it. But of course if your friend has deep pockets, then by all means get the 30D, in return he will have a better built body, and faster control.

Thanks bro.
I have exactly the same thoughts as yours. I don't want her to blow that extra money on a 30D when she can use that money to buy a good walkabout lens.

I read this review (excellent comparision between 400D and 30D) and echoes my thoughts.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-400D-Digital-Rebel-XTi-Review.aspx

My only concern here was that I was giving advice on a 400D without having handled it myself.

The verdict seems to be - "If you are a newbie to DSLR, buy the 400D. You won't regret it."

Cheers.

I suggest he actually holds the 400D... 3fps, 5fps, no big deal. What matters is how comfortable the cam is to hold, and in that regard the 400D is the worst i've held among all the "big company" DSLR manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus).

im still surviving with my d50 2.5fps for about a yr already. :dunno:

Function wise, the 400D is no slouch, so no worries about that. The handling part may cause some concern for some people. But I notice you mention that your friend is a she, so she may appreciate the smaller built and lighter weight of 400D. Get her to handle it herself and see whether is it comfortable for her or not.

A Side-by-side comparasion from dpreview.

i have both. I would suggust your friend try the feel of the 400D. if you go with her, let her try with a len heavier then the kit lens. Let she try the use of the 30D too. If your friend do not find the wheel useful. then go for the 400D.

i have large hands. and i have used a 350D with a grip and now i upgraded without a 2nd thought to 400D. no complaints. feels wonderful, can be tiny if i want it to be (remove the grip), and produces great pics

most of my lady friends tend to favour the 400d, thanks to its light weight and etc, most would gravitate towards that direction.

if ure friend is a beginner, it'd be good to get the 400d first, get some equipment to start up with, and when she gets better and know what she wants, she can always upgrade in future.

just my 2 cents, and nothing more.

ps: but nothing beats going down to the brick and mortar to have a test drive!

for me, will still be the 30D. everday of the week and twice on sunday.
why?
2mp is meaningless.
30D better build quality, better and faster handling due to rear control dial and fits hands better.
also, spot meter, kelvin selection for white balance and 5 fps. all of which i use.

the only thing the 400D has that is advantageous to me is the dust removal features. but that isnt enough to tip the balance in its favour.

Take a trip down to Canon showroom at Vivo City.

i have large hands. and i have used a 350D with a grip and now i upgraded without a 2nd thought to 400D. no complaints. feels wonderful, can be tiny if i want it to be (remove the grip), and produces great pics

dun mind can show a photo of this grip that u're talking about?

and how much does it cost?

My first DSLR Camera is 400D and as a beginner, I love it. I think it will take me sometime to outgrow it!

400D (and 350D) has the worst designed ergonomics. The shape of hand grip is all wrong. Smaller does not necessarily warrant poor handling. It is simply poor design. IMHO, there are no other cameras that is worst in handling than the 350d and 400d.

30D too big? The 400d is not that much much smaller either(especially when a grip is used to help in the poor handling) These are cameras that you cant put in your pocket anyway.

I'm a newbie to photography as well, but I NEVER EVER regretted paying the premium for a 30D

Why?

the 400D was uncomfortable for me, and I'd like to think that I have the average sized hands of a professional pianist that are flexible.... hahaha

I NEED the 5fps, especially that I'm still a newbie so more margin of error to be afforded as I take LOTS of moving, panning and sport photos (cars, F1, GT racing, wakeboarding, and so on...)

This adds to the fact that I have used a 20D before, and found the absence of the top display VERY alarming, especially during nightshot/tripod mounted situations where i can lock the manual focus in and just deal with the top screen, thus, relinquishing the need to crouch and peer into the finder repeatedly for same shot/angle situations.

Ok lah...I think thats all there is.

One more thing......I just LOVE the way the 30D shutter opens and closes, unlike the 400D which seems tardy by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.