canon 30D len kit 17mm to 55mm lens wide enough for group photo at wedding dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colour

Mar 7, 2006
Hi there! will like to consult those who are in taking wedding photo. I had more or less confirm buying the latest canon 30D with the body kits. Having the though of using the model for taking wedding photo in future, I had some doubts.

As the lens in 17mm to 55mm wide, and to converted by the 1.6 factor, which means mutiply 17mm by 1.6, i be actually getting 27.2mm wide. Taking into the account of the tight spacing in between the tables and chairs in some hotel ballroom or restaurant, I am wonder if this wide enough for taking group photo during wedding dinner?

Canon's other model such as the 20D also comes with 17mm to 55mm lens. Anyone tried it for taking group photo during wedding dinner? Experience any problem such as need to move few step back but constraints by the tight spacing? Thanks a lot for the advices!!! :)

Enough. I could get by with 24mm for most places. You just have to move the people, boils down to how you manage. Talking about 1.5X crop here.

2100 said:
Enough. I could get by with 24mm for most places. You just have to move the people, boils down to how you manage. Talking about 1.5X crop here.

I am not really sure what is the 1.5x crop is about. I guess it is 1.5 for Nikon and 1.6 for canon right? Yup. 24mm is an ideal for such group photo during wedding dinners. Anyway, you can't get 24mm right? The widest angle which is 17mm will become 27.2mm if will to use the 30D camera with that lens.

2100 said:

Canon one is 1.6X FOV.

I thought the 30D came with 18-55mm? And btw, you'd be better off getting the body alone, and another better lens.. I usually use my 10-22mm USM during such events..

colour said:
Hi there! will like to consult those who are in taking wedding photo. I had more or less confirm buying the latest canon 30D with the body kits. Having the though of using the model for taking wedding photo in future, I had some doubts.

As the lens in 17mm to 55mm wide, and to converted by the 1.6 factor, which means mutiply 17mm by 1.6, i be actually getting 27.2mm wide. Taking into the account of the tight spacing in between the tables and chairs in some hotel ballroom or restaurant, I am wonder if this wide enough for taking group photo during wedding dinner?

Canon's other model such as the 20D also comes with 17mm to 55mm lens. Anyone tried it for taking group photo during wedding dinner? Experience any problem such as need to move few step back but constraints by the tight spacing? Thanks a lot for the advices!!! :)

Snoweagle said:
I'll take a 17-40 f/4L for wedding shoots.

same here, 17mm is wide enough and also it depends on how you arrange the group photo.

bonifas said:
same here, 17mm is wide enough and also it depends on how you arrange the group photo.

Yupz, especially when mine's a film SLR, it's really going to get very wide.

Snoweagle said:
Yupz, especially when mine's a film SLR, it's really going to get very wide.
If it's film then too wide liao. :D Nobody wants to look at grp photos like that.

Maybe i am weird, for me it's the reverse actually, I like to take as "telephoto as possible". So like i said it boils down to experience.

2100 said:
If it's film then too wide liao. :D Nobody wants to look at grp photos like that.

Maybe i am weird, for me it's the reverse actually, I like to take as "telephoto as possible". So like i said it boils down to experience.

It's not too wide cos i've tried out another 17-35mm f/2.8L USM on my body and did a group shot of my friends at 17mm, looks fine.

Snoweagle said:
It's not too wide cos i've tried out another 17-35mm f/2.8L USM on my body and did a group shot of my friends at 17mm, looks fine.

Think there will be some distortion at 17mm if you are taking a group of ppl.

Zack said:
Think there will be some distortion at 17mm if you are taking a group of ppl.

Distortion is inevitable but it's not until so bad that the faces are also distorted.

I think 17-40 mm L lens is one of the more popular one. If not go for 17-85 mm IS lens too. It is pretty good walkaround lens. :)
Ed

shendeerzi said:
I think 17-40 mm L lens is one of the more popular one. If not go for 17-85 mm IS lens too. It is pretty good walkaround lens. :)
Ed

My cam is not compatible with EF-S lens.

I think the 17-40 is generally good enough for a wedding shoot. I believe there are quite a number of Canon user using the 17-40mm F4L for AD wedding shoots.

But I have tried using my 28-75 with my 300D on a dinner shoot before without any problem, so it really depends on how you position the guests and where you stand.

kelccm said:
I think the 17-40 is generally good enough for a wedding shoot. I believe there are quite a number of Canon user using the 17-40mm F4L for AD wedding shoots.

But I have tried using my 28-75 with my 300D on a dinner shoot before without any problem, so it really depends on how you position the guests and where you stand.

I'm renting one 17-40mm f/4L for a wedding shoot next week, but some said that it's too wide on my film body.

Snoweagle said:
I'm renting one 17-40mm f/4L for a wedding shoot next week, but some said that it's too wide on my film body.

I'm refering more to DSLR with 1.6x FOV users. Usually I think 28mm should be wide enough for film. The 28-70 range was quite popular with film SLR before more and more people use DSLR. But I feel that even a super wide lense like 17-40 can be used for wedding shoot. You are able to stand much closer, and can present some new perspective. But you may lose out the chance of some close up candid shot when using 28-70 range.

Why don't you try out the 24-70L instead??

kelccm said:
I'm refering more to DSLR with 1.6x FOV users. Usually I think 28mm should be wide enough for film. The 28-70 range was quite popular with film SLR before more and more people use DSLR. But I feel that even a super wide lense like 17-40 can be used for wedding shoot. You are able to stand much closer, and can present some new perspective. But you may lose out the chance of some close up candid shot when using 28-70 range.

Why don't you try out the 24-70L instead??

The loaner do not have the 24-70 f/2.8L so the 17-40 f/4L is my only chance. I myself have a tamron 28-300 but not sure if it's appropriate for the occassion. :confused:

jeryltan said:
I thought the 30D came with 18-55mm? And btw, you'd be better off getting the body alone, and another better lens.. I usually use my 10-22mm USM during such events..

How much is the 10-22mm USM len cost you? Do you get fish eye effect at 14mm and below? I had check the price of wide angle len such as 14mm, 17mm and they are not cheap!

colour said:

i think enough.. unless u say the group is bigger then 20

Status
Not open for further replies.