Canon 30D Has Been Finally Announced...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DodoAngel

Jan 29, 2006
singapore
Was looking around and finally saw that Canon has finally announced the new 30D. Nope, it isn't the 6 year old D30, but the all new 30D. Well, based on the press release it's just like an improvement to the software part of 20D. Rest of the specifications are the same. Same 8.2MP, same 5fps. Think it's quite disappointing though, but maybe that was Canon's aim to retain the low prices for a semi-professional DSLR. What do you guys think? :dunno:

The article from dpreview is here.

DodoAngel said:
Was looking around and finally saw that Canon has finally announced the new 30D. Nope, it isn't the 6 year old D30, but the all new 30D. Well, based on the press release it's just like an improvement to the software part of 20D. Rest of the specifications are the same. Same 8.2MP, same 5fps. Think it's quite disappointing though, but maybe that was Canon's aim to retain the low prices for a semi-professional DSLR. What do you guys think? :dunno:

The article from dpreview is here.
Yep..I agree that its quite disappointing..
expected a new sensor...

Just heard some one say the 30D will be priced at a lower price than the 20D.

A better new camera at a lower price.

If that is true, and you own a 20D, is it a good idea to sell now?

If that is true, then it means Canon is aiming a marketing gun at its competitors.

It is meant to undercut them and play havoc with their existing unsold stocks of digital SLRs.

It may even affect digital compact sales of its rivals. Consumers may decide not to buy rival companies' pro-sumer digital compacts and plunge for the 30D.

That is how companies are destroyed.

Well, no wonder KM gave up.

the price list for 30D at canon OZ has released at $2299 while canon 20D priced at $2399.

My estimate the 30D price list in spore about $2.7K,
while the shops will sell around 2.4K! Very attractive price for 30D.

seriously, i expected more out of it, for example a slighly higher megapixel count, a bigger viewfinder, but for the price, i can't really complain.

are there any reviews which mentioned the mirror slap noise?

newmemberz said:
the price list for 30D at canon OZ has released at $2299 while canon 20D priced at $2399.

My estimate the 30D price list in spore about $2.7K,
while the shops will sell around 2.4K! Very attractive price for 30D.
pretty fast for canon if i remembered right. within months should reach. 350D was like quick.
with 30D out.. 2nd hand 20D will be selling cheap cheap cheap :D

But with a loud *CRACK*, the 20D is not really a good choice for street shooting especially when u're overseas.

I do notice that cameras these days are getting louder and louder. Or izzit just me? :dunno:

jsbn said:
But with a loud *CRACK*, the 20D is not really a good choice for street shooting especially when u're overseas.

I do notice that cameras these days are getting louder and louder. Or izzit just me? :dunno:

350D after 20D is quite soft. 5D after 350D is also quite soft.

Hmmm yup, heard that the 30D is cheaper than 20D.

According to DPReview, its US$1399 in US and Euro 1399 in Europe. Funny on the price difference though. :confused:

Just got my 20D last October, guess I'll just keep it till I've got the finances to change to a full frame. Hehex... ;)

And the shutter is indeed quite disturbing, its the loudest out of most DSLRs.

And just as a side question, has 30D lost out to the new Nikon D200? What do u think? Hmmm...

I would like the digital mirror slap sound.
There is no way it can be louder than a real film SLR with motor drive slamming the mirror at 4 frames per second.
Maybe Canon purposely made the mirror slap so that camera users can identify the digital SLR camera with what they used to have.
It does help you to know that the picture has been shot when you hear the sound.

jsbn said:

but i personnely like the *CRACK* sound ;p

Castlesinthesky said:
it's a bane in press conferences. Actually had a reporter telling me today to stop clicking.

i do hope the 30D will be quieter. anyways..which press conference was that?

lurgee said:
i do hope the 30D will be quieter. anyways..which press conference was that?

Press conference for Commonwealth Games in Australia. There was this other photog using an oly E-1 and man his shutter sound sounded so muffled. Mine was really like a *CRACK*. Was really obvious especially in the small room.

ricohflex said:
I would like the digital mirror slap sound.
There is no way it can be louder than a real film SLR with motor drive slamming the mirror at 4 frames per second.
Maybe Canon purposely made the mirror slap so that camera users can identify the digital SLR camera with what they used to have.
It does help you to know that the picture has been shot when you hear the sound.

Then they should make it as soft as the EOS 30 series.
Admit that the loud noise is a bit too loud. esp in conferences.

JediForce4ever said:
I think the 30D should have the same or similar mirrorslap sound of the 20D.

i didn't buy the 20D due to the loud mirror slap... still sticking to my trusty old 300D who've been thru thick and thin with me... haha..

hopefully 30D will be more quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.