Canon 300D vs Nikon D70

Status
Not open for further replies.

kegler

Dec 25, 2003
myhobbieseatdrink.blogspot.com
Starting this thread to help me decide on which to go for....as im a complete noob ...never even use slr before....lol... maybe i should start a list of pros n cons i feel abt the 2 dslr...i think i saw both are plastic body...but d70 is somehow a better plastic...hee....

300D
Pros (which is D70 cons)
1. Cheaper
2. color somehow looks nicer than d70...dunno why...personal feel...hee
3. optional battery grip
4. current promos makes it more tempting (free 1gb lexar 80x n original battery)

cons (which is d70's pros)
1. Slower then d70... write speed...even shutter speed
2. Less function compared to d70

please fill me with more info....

I am shure that which ever you decide upon, you will not be dissapointed.
You may end up sitting on THAT side of the fence as some do, but either one you buy, you will not end up thinking, "if only I bought the other one" .
It is all up to you. They are both good in good hands :)

the point about battery grip is subjective, very much a personal choice.

while it helps balance the camera set up better with use together with long lens on 300D, it also adds bulk and weight.

its 1 thing test holding the set in the shop, but hanging round your neck for the whole day or even half day shoot will be tough on your neck, less you exercise regularly.

... dun care about the "free" gifts.....
go and try out the camera, see u like which "looks, function, feel.. etc"
well.. possible know any clubsnaper to try out their cam........

since it buskers fest. go shoot with friends using 300D and D70, try out. have been shooting buskers along orchard rd for pass 2 days, saw most using the 300D.

I own a D70 but prefer the feel of the 300D... feels better and lighter in my hands.
300D has a 3sec startup lag but D70 none.
Basically i bought the D70 because it has more features.Spot metering was also an important feature that i considered.

can't make up your mind?

wait until you can make up your mind decisively. otherwise you'll be wasting money selling it away to get the other.

note that nikon is known for a larger range of wide angle lenses, canon seems to offer trickle-down technology from the higher end products.

Hi,

I had posted similar question before... here's the advices from the good people of ClubSnap (summarised by me :) :-

1) Sit down and think thru why do you want to have a DSLR? Can other prosumer class satisfy your needs? If yes, why not? It is much less investment than DSLR where building a system could cost a lot!
2) What do you like to shoot/how're your usage like and then determine the required functions of the body. - for e.g my case candid shots is my favourite and I like to use continuous mode so speed is important.
3) Read the reviews and understand the cameras you are considering well enough.
4) Consider the system, not just the camera (body) alone, for photography with SLR/DSLR is about building up a whole system(ie Camera body, lenses, flash, etc).
5) Both cameras (D70 & 300D) are good so it doesn't really matter which body. However, the kit lens of D70 is better than 300D.
6) If cost is a concern, fyi, Nikon lenses are no longer much more expensive than Canon and both brands have good lenses available in the market at comparable prices. Maybe you would like to determine your budget and go thru the lenses and flashes also if you are really serious about this hobby of yours.

Hope these help. :D

For myself, I guess price was the deciding factor. Although the D70 is very much cheaper these days, but that few hundred dollars could mean a flash/grip for me. Basically, I also prefer Canon's arsenal of accessories, lenses included. Too much personal preferences I guess, haven't helped much in this post. :p

My guess is.. you're more swayed towards the 300D? Go for what your like, dun look too much into techie stuff and user reviews. Especially since it's between a 300D and D70.

DaNi3L said:
For myself, I guess price was the deciding factor. Although the D70 is very much cheaper these days, but that few hundred dollars could mean a flash/grip for me. Basically, I also prefer Canon's arsenal of accessories, lenses included. Too much personal preferences I guess, haven't helped much in this post. :p

My guess is.. you're more swayed towards the 300D? Go for what your like, dun look too much into techie stuff and user reviews. Especially since it's between a 300D and D70.

frankly speaking... our thoughts r alike...lol... the price diff could topup for a battery grip where D70 doesnt have... but i dun have much vertical shots...haahaa...seldom shoot vertical.... but its good to have one....

dangerous question, try the cameras out and feel the difference, close your eyes and let the force guide you. All of the advise above are good.

wow... i didn't have the courage to buy an slr man. Quite brave of you. I don have enough money and enough experience so i just brought a normail canon A75. When i'm as good as maybe, tunsten, then maybe i'll consider changing. haha ... Seriously i'd not recommend you buying an slr if you're like me.

i was like u before... check this out. :D
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=38525&forum_id=87

anyway, i've tested both cameras and they are both GOOD in their own ways. ultimately, it lies on what u need and not what u want. what u need, u will use it for a long time..... what u want, it will be over before u knew it. ;p

just my 2 cents.

BreakThru said:
1) Sit down and think thru why do you want to have a DSLR? Can other prosumer class satisfy your needs? If yes, why not? It is much less investment than DSLR where building a system could cost a lot!

This is the most important point when buying anything, not just cameras.

Not to long ago, 4 local photogs held their exhibition @ tampines libary. All their works on display are taken using digital compact camera.

So be very sure that you need the flexibilities of a DSLR. Cause if you need that, then be prepare to burn a hole in your pocket.

Yo Kegler,

Here is my take. (NOTE: I use both systems and can a test to how each of them handles)

I would personally go for the D70 (and this is not a bias), but the D70 is an overall very friendly and easy to navigate cam. I had an evening out with several 300D users and i found changing of ISO and WB to be quite a pain as compared to the ease and logical way Nikon has done it. Just to name a few.

As for colour, Nikon's D70's colour is customizable with custom color curves, also the availability of 2 sRGB modes and 1 AdobeRGB modes allow for more flexible image colour reproduction.

Nikon's system is by no way limited as one would have had you think. Nikon has been well known to have accessories for every kind of job. It was once said.. if you wanted it.. Nikon had it. From macro reversal rings to step up macro rings, to copy stands, to manual lenses that still work on your D70, to old flashes that may not work in i-TTL mode on your D70, but will work excellent in other modes.

Nikon's reputed 1005-Colour Matrix metering sensor is also a wonder to be hold. Choosing to under expose by up to 1/3 of a stop, prevents blown highlights. A blown highlight cannot be recovered.. but a under exposed pic can be brightened and highlights preserved..

Yes budget is an important factor.. but buying a D70 with a ED 18-70 AFS lens.. hmmm I think there is not much to think about.. the 18-55 EF-S performance hardly comes close to that.

Awesome battery life would be another consideration of the D70 and as well as the price of the D70's original EN-EL3 compared to the 300D BP511.

Yes is it important to consider if you really want to get into a SLR based system. Remember.. not one lens fits all. You will need macro lenses for closeup, wide angle lenses for stunning landscapes..and so on and so forth..

So do consider well..

The 300D though it has a vertical grip is not really a deciding factor for me.. the percentage of using the vertical grip compared to the regulare will be 2-5%. Not much to consider there..

it simply lies with what you want to do with it...and what it feels to you. both are good cams with plus and minuses.

canon or nikon is not an issue...how you feel for it is the issue...300D or D70 are just cameras...if you can make the difference, you can shoot good photos with any camera that you hold.

if you ask me which would i choose? I'd choose the 300D. Why? cos most of my frens are canon users...so borrowing lenses will not be a prob, thus saves on budget too...thus that's my preferences.

it could be off topic. Anyway if you hope for a better picture quality from digicam to SLR, the main keyword is the lenses, not the body.

Cheers!

Canonians---> :flame: <--- Nikonians

ops just joking ..

Canonians ---> :cheers: <---- Nikonians

Status
Not open for further replies.