Canon 300d colors vs D70 Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokrot

Jun 2, 2003
Hi,

Got a friend who regularly took photos argued that D70 colors are way off as compared to 300D. He showed me most of the pbase pictures with 300d and D70. It seems that he is right in certain aspects whether both cams pics are being processed anot. My other newbie friend is sort of being influenced by him in choosing between Canon and Nikon. Some one care to share his opinion? (*This is not a flame thread, just some personal opinions pls) :embrass:

3 words

BUY BUY BUY!!!

Anyway, if your newbie friend feels that the 300D colors are better then by all means, go ahead, no point polling and arguing it's not or even if it's not true, don't bother :)

Overall, when you choose KM, C, N, P, you're not only choosing a camera, you're selecting the entire system too.

as long it's digital, you need to tweek it. Even if u dont, you will... so why bother...

I have seen what both cam's can do and with things like PS, it's not colour that is the biggest of issues, to me it's tweakable, and D70 is good what. If i were to comment i think the color reproduction at 300D's higher ISO's are abit shady.

When you think about it, how way off is way off? check www.dpreview.com lor, if you want to look at color tests, metering and AWB can throw things way off too, not just the cam.

have seen both side by side with different color settings, both are beautiful to look at. the rest lies on your preference.

Just to be evil, throw these two into megaweb's hands, after that your friend will buy both. Heehee.

throw any camera into megaweb's hand and you will believe it is THE camera for you. :bsmilie: :devil:

i wonder if its the ppl who took with D70 used the wrong custom white balance, or the auto is off due to certain conditions.

anyway, just take raw den customise the color until you are satisfied lor... colors are very subjective. esp to ppl like me... :sweatsm:

I think it is just a personal perference. An example would be your recent post of sigma 70-300 macro samples. You feel that the colors were good while I feel that they were dull and lifeless.

I think its the same lah, if you feel that the colors ain't good enough, just use PS to tweak lo..:)

OT: Sony camera's color are the BEST! :lovegrin: If you want good colors, get the F828 instead!

Another key setting that is often neglected is temperature. With default settings, canon 300d pics are warmer & than nikon d70 pics. But the nikon d70 temperature is more tweakable than the 300d (customizable temperature setting IN ADDITION to the white balance...), so you can a pics with a wider range of temperature settings.

I got friends using both canon & nikon, we never argue anymore because we agreed Olympus & Minolta are the BEST ;)

So your friend should go with whatever he's comfortable with. "Straight out of the p&s-like-camera warm pics" or "speed & customizable settings" or "built-in stabilizer"?

Most of the time the problem lies on the end-user. Their lack of understanding about photography and only be awe by technological advances.
I had a newbie friend that came to me and told me his pics is all not sharp and ask me why. He told me his camera got problem and going to send it for a one-to-one exchange. Then only, I discovered that he always shoot at asa100 and at A mode (Aperture). His shutter speed is 1/8 sec and does you think he will get sharp pics? Is this camera fault? Haha...this I call it 'user ignorance'! :nono:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i wonder if its the ppl who took with D70 used the wrong custom white balance, or the auto is off due to certain conditions.

anyway, just take raw den customise the color until you are satisfied lor... colors are very subjective. esp to ppl like me... :sweatsm:

Shoot RAW lor ;p heehee. I can tweak the WB + colors to the correct one ;)

espn said:
Shoot RAW lor ;p heehee. I can tweak the WB + colors to the correct one ;)

Ughh, then people will argue RAW better than NEF. which I think is true ;)

I think it's maybe to be with D70 White Balance and soft pics or newbie probs. Many colleagues of mine (Not just him alone) discussed about D70 Vs 300D. Most of them (or rather almost all) just preferred 300D colors. :dunno:
Btw None of them own a Canon/Nikon DSLR.

I just seen the Pbase again at home. D70 color is not really dull. I wonder if it is that stupid monitor in the company. :confused: I will go and calibrate the company monitor and show them again.. :sweatsm:

icarus said:
I think its the same lah, if you feel that the colors ain't good enough, just use PS to tweak lo..:)

OT: Sony camera's color are the BEST! :lovegrin: If you want good colors, get the F828 instead!

For me, I personally think Canon D60 has the best DSLR colors out there..

Rev said:
Ughh, then people will argue RAW better than NEF. which I think is true ;)

Erm. .NEF is the RAW file format extension for Nikon. Kwanon's is .CRW.

;p

xmen2003 said:
I think it is just a personal perference. An example would be your recent post of sigma 70-300 macro samples. You feel that the colors were good while I feel that they were dull and lifeless.

haha ok.. Maybe I just prefer warm colors... ;) Nice try... hehe

tokrot said:
For me, I personally think Canon D60 has the best DSLR colors out there..

my own comparison of the few cameras i have... A80 colors seem to appeal more to color blinds like me... dunno y... F828 & F717 looks dull, the D7D look pretty good, but suffer from mis-callibration, sometimes i over or under expose... not used to it yet.

oh man!!! this is rubbish...ha ha ha...understand the pros and cons of the cam and you'll shoot better liao...what XXXBoy had mentioned is true...this 'user ignorance' happens all the time.

color diff or not...is not an issue...cos it's digital...u dont like it..tweak it...

if not...then follow what espn suggests...BUY BUY BUY!!!! then still COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN or worst still CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE...ha ha ha...

Status
Not open for further replies.