Canon 300D? Canon 10D? Nikon D70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juste_millieu

Mar 17, 2004
I plan to buy a digital camera but don't know which one should I go for. :dunno:
Any idea what's the pros and cons for the above digital camera :D
I just start photography years ago, own a Canon 300V and a 70mm-300mm zoom lense.

what's your budget and what's your aim of getting a DSLR? what makes you want to upgrade? do note that, while 300D and D70 are small and cheap DSLRs, they're considerably bigger and more expensive than the 300V. Also, with a film SLR, you could enjoy shooting slides, something that you can't with a DSLR.

mpenza said:
what's your budget and what's your aim of getting a DSLR? what makes you want to upgrade? do note that, while 300D and D70 are small and cheap DSLRs, they're considerably bigger and more expensive than the 300V. Also, with a film SLR, you could enjoy shooting slides, something that you can't with a DSLR.

My budget is aound $2500. I already have the film camera so planning to own a digital camera. But don't know which one to choose :dunno: , cause not familiar with it. Hope to find out the pros and cons of the camera :)

what do you want to achieve with your digital camera? what makes you think a digital camera is for you? do you mind carrying lots of lenses and accessories around? what are the features that are lacking in your film slr that makes you want to upgrade?

These are more important questions than simply pros and cons. After answering them, you may find that a prosumer digicam (like Sony F828, Olympus C5060, Canon Pro 1, or even a Minolta Dimage Z2, etc) or a compact digital camera (like Nikon Coolpix 3700, Casio Exilm Z40, Canon Ixus i, etc) are able to meet your needs better and at a significantly lower costs and bulk (and also let you enjoy photography much more than a system of SLR bodies and lenses).

For pros and cons of the cameras, checkout the detailed reviews at www.dpreview.com and www.imaging-resource.com amongst others and ask more specific questions here. This let you gain more from any discussions.

From my perspective as someone who has dabbled into digital photography for a few years, I would say that the D70 is a very good entry into the world of DSLR. The relatively low price yet good performance and pro-level features (e.g. 1/500s flash sync) makes it worthwhile. However, you can't make use of your Canon lenses/accessories with it. 300D is a more economical entry (several hundreds of dollars less) but it comes with some "crippled" features which might be important to some but not others (you have to determine whether they are important to you). You could also find some good second hand bargains around. 10D is the next level up to the 300D but is beyond your budget (especially if your factor in extra costs for memory cards ~$200 for 512MB, tripods, flash, wide-angle lenses, etc).

found any big difference? both cameras are kind of dusty ;p saw several spots in the pics of the building with blue sky.

juste_millieu said:
I plan to buy a digital camera but don't know which one should I go for. :dunno:
I just start photography years ago, own a Canon 300V and a 70mm-300mm zoom lense.

Since you already have a Canon SLR and a lens.. Perhaps it is better to continue on a Canon DSLR, so that in future, if you buy any more lenses and accesories, you can share it between your DSLR and SLR.. :)

juste_millieu said:

dynax 7D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

juste_millieu said:
My budget is aound $2500. I already have the film camera so planning to own a digital camera. But don't know which one to choose :dunno: , cause not familiar with it. Hope to find out the pros and cons of the camera :)

my advise of the day is get an almost new condition 2nd hand stuff. that will save u $$$$...

why not get a 2nd hand 300d n kit lens? nowadays if u look harder u can get one for around $1.4-$1.5k.. that leaves u $1k to play around to get secondhand flash, cf card, good lens, etc etc..

both nikon n canon are good... you cnt go wrong with either...

mpenza said:
Also, with a film SLR, you could enjoy shooting slides, something that you can't with a DSLR.

Welcome to tonight's edition of "STATE THE OBVIOUS" and the first contestant is ... mpenza!!! *applause* :D :D :D

Back on topic, the D70 is the best entry level DSLR. Agree with the suggestion to shop for a used 300D - seems as if lots of people are dumping their 300D to cross over to Nikon. Lots of good bargains out there.

what's the joy of shooting slides?

leadwe said:
what's the joy of shooting slides?

Slides glow when viewed... it gives the picture a vibrancy and life not seen on print film or digital images on a screen. :D Try it!

Status
Not open for further replies.