Canon 28mm f1.8 and Sigma 30mm f1.4

snappyjack

Sep 25, 2011
which is a better walk-around lens?

Im using canon crop body.

Both are good.
Both about the same price..
But question is..do you need the F1.4? If not, go for the Canon...

Both are good.
Both about the same price..
But question is..do you need the F1.4? If not, go for the Canon...

i dont mind f1.4 since both are roughly the same price. however sigma has AF issue while canon seems to have poor review on sharpness of the photos. cant decide which is more tolerable..

i dont mind f1.4 since both are roughly the same price. however sigma has AF issue while canon seems to have poor review on sharpness of the photos. cant decide which is more tolerable..

Well... rent both of them and take them out for a walk then see which one you like best, and get that one.

Anyway, what type of focus issue are you talking abt? Sure Sigma's quality control is serioulsy lacking, but all you need to do is do a thorough check before purchasing the lens. It should be alright. There are heaps of people swearing by their Sigma 30mm f1.4.

(Btw... I am using a 28mm f2.8 which I find pretty alright in term of sharpness and stuff).

Last edited:

AF issue is correctable once you send in for calibration. Sharpness of lens is not correctable.

Do you see yourself going ff soon, like within a year or so? If no, then there is really not much point in going for the canon 28mm f/1.8.

rhino123 said:
Well... rent both of them and take them out for a walk then see which one you like best, and get that one.

Anyway, what type of focus issue are you talking abt? Sure Sigma's quality control is serioulsy lacking, but all you need to do is do a thorough check before purchasing the lens. It should be alright. There are heaps of people swearing by their Sigma 30mm f1.4.

(Btw... I am using a 28mm f2.8 which I find pretty alright in term of sharpness and stuff).

The thing is Im not a good checker. Haha..

daredevil123 said:
AF issue is correctable once you send in for calibration. Sharpness of lens is not correctable.

So you would prefer sigma?

NewbieInCS said:
Do you see yourself going ff soon, like within a year or so? If no, then there is really not much point in going for the canon 28mm f/1.8.

No. I intend to stick to my crop body for quite sometime. Do you have any of these 2 lens?

No. I intend to stick to my crop body for quite sometime. Do you have any of these 2 lens?

Never tried the canon 28 1.8 as I was looking for f/1.4. For sigma af seems to be an issue for me wide open. So I ended up with 24L instead.

If you intend to stay with crop then there is really no point in paying more for the canon just to end up with a smaller aperture than the sigma.