Canon 28-105 good one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeateo

Jul 1, 2005
Hi,

I am using Canon film SLR. Thinking of upgrading the kit lense.
Hows the Canon 28-205mm f3.5-4.5? A good buy? Using it to travel, taking outdoor shots.
Appreciate any advice from those who have used this. Thanks :p

If you are refering to the 28-105 USM version, it's quite a good lens. The latest version is II (or some call it Mark 2). Unfortunately, Canon has stopped making this lens.

Since you can't find 1st hand anymore, you have to find a used lens. I bought 1 from my friend, and never regretted it.

Well, it is a good lens for its price, esp 2nd hand. However, if you can top up abit to about $350-400, you may want to consider the Tamron 24-135. You have more reach on either side and the lens is sharper and have more contrast.

There is one canon-mount on sale right now on Buy&Sell forum. Go check it out.

:thumbsup: Ho-A. :thumbsup:

its good enough for 1.3x and fullframe bodies
not wide enough for 1.6x bodies

the threadstarter is using film so no issue on crop factor

jeateo said:
Hi,

I am using Canon film SLR. Thinking of upgrading the kit lense.
Hows the Canon 28-205mm f3.5-4.5? A good buy? Using it to travel, taking outdoor shots.
Appreciate any advice from those who have used this. Thanks :p

I have a copy of this len.... so far so good.... but I am not EXPERT on the photo quality since I have never shot more than 4R yet.....

2 site with reviews for you to read.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/index.php?cat=45

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Default.aspx

:)

yeap....it is a good lens and worth for value. :)

28-105 is a v good lens. But do take note, there are two version (besides the mk1 and mk2 ),

1) F/3.5-4.5 - I'd use to own this one, very good lens, sharp and good value for money

2) F/4.5-5 - I'd tried this one, recomend you forget it if it's this one.

It is good value, covers the common focal lengths that many users want. But it is not a "good" lens-- it's slow, not sharp, not contrasty enough, distortion, etc. But the problem is that you have to step up to an L lens to get a really good one, and that is quite costly. Still, the 24-70L has good resale value if you get it used, and it may cost you nothing to own if you maintain it well.

The 28-105 lens is one of the reasons I sold my Canon system. I realised that to get really quality pictures, I'd have to spend lots of $$ on good glass. I'm already invested in Leica, so I reluctantly gave up the Canon.

Wai Leong
===
RossChang said:
28-105 is a v good lens. But do take note, there are two version (besides the mk1 and mk2 ),

1) F/3.5-4.5 - I'd use to own this one, very good lens, sharp and good value for money

2) F/4.5-5 - I'd tried this one, recomend you forget it if it's this one.

Actually, can consider the 24-85mm.... I think this is a good option too....... aspherical elements, and think it have slightly better quality from the MTF (assuming I read correctly)......

Status
Not open for further replies.