Canon 250D vs Canon 500D


Status
Not open for further replies.

Fella

New Member
Dec 14, 2002
491
0
0
42
#1
I got a quote from tkfoto :
250D - S$105 /w GST and free delivery
500D - S$125 /w GST and free delivery

250D = 500D = +4 closeup filter right?

If you guys were to choose, S$30 for 2x Hoya +4, or the above mentioned price for the 250D/500D, which will you choose?
 

Zerstorer

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2002
3,437
0
0
#2
Originally posted by Fella
250D = 500D = +4 closeup filter right?
No. IIRC the 250D is a +4 while the 500D is a +2.

The name gives a clue: 25cm and 50cm.
 

melly

New Member
Jan 23, 2003
214
0
0
Visit site
#4
errr. no the 250d and 500d tells you the minimum focusing distance...

therefore, the closest focusing distance for 250 and 500 are 250mm and 500mm respectively..

the 250d is good for shorter focal lengths, while the 500d is meant for longer focal lengths :)

You mean the 500d is in stock.. man that's one rare item!!

the 250d is available in 58mm, 62m and 67mm while the 500d is available from 67mm to 77mm, if I'm not wrong..
 

Jan 17, 2003
123
0
0
43
Visit site
#5
Originally posted by Fella
I got a quote from tkfoto :
250D - S$105 /w GST and free delivery
500D - S$125 /w GST and free delivery

250D = 500D = +4 closeup filter right?

If you guys were to choose, S$30 for 2x Hoya +4, or the above mentioned price for the 250D/500D, which will you choose?
The price quoted is for what threadsize?
 

melly

New Member
Jan 23, 2003
214
0
0
Visit site
#6
oh whoopsy. sorry misinterpreted what megaweb and zerstorer said... they're both correct :) hehee

hehee yes the price quoted is for the 58mm..

sigh.. the 77mm is out of stock in most places......
 

Fella

New Member
Dec 14, 2002
491
0
0
42
#7
I asked for the 58mm quotes specifically.

One thing I dun quite understand, why is the 500D more expensive than the 250D when it's a +2 as compared the +4?
Larger focal length has a better advantage?

If one is to take a macro shot of a still object (meaning without having to worry about the thing flying off or whatsoever), having the 250D will enable a "closer" pic to be taken over the 500D?
 

Jan 17, 2003
123
0
0
43
Visit site
#8
Copied from http://www.usa.canon.com/eflenses/accessories/index.html

These close-up attachments can be used with most EF lense to provide a shorter minimum focusing distance with no loss of light. The 250D/500D series incorporates double-element achromatic design for maximum optical performance while the 500 series features single-element construction for maximum economy. The 250D is optimized for lenses between 50-135mm, while the 500D works best with telephoto lense from 70-300mm. Manual focusing is recommended.

Available Sizes: 52mm, 58mm, 67mm, 72mm, 77mm Type: Screw-in
=====================================

hmmm.. i have a 50mm F/1.8 and a 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM. But I do not know should I buy the

1) 52mm 250D for my 50mm F/1.8 or
2) 72mm 250D for my 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM or
3) 72mm 500D for my 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM or
4) both 2 and 3

Any suggestion?

TIA

Regards,
TM
 

melly

New Member
Jan 23, 2003
214
0
0
Visit site
#9
hi fella,

I think this has been discussed somewhere else..

The 250d would be too "strong" for the telephoto, and you might not be able to get the entire subject into the frame. for e.g, taking a small bug, you might be only able to get the belly into the frame... but what you want is to get the entire bug into the frame... do you go for the 500d which allows you to move back a abit further so that the effects are less "strong"...


I think optically, the 500d costs more to make, or it's of better elements.. can't remember though.. and thus it's more expensive :)
 

megaweb

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
8,541
3
38
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
#10
Originally posted by Fella
One thing I dun quite understand, why is the 500D more expensive than the 250D when it's a +2 as compared the +4?
Larger focal length has a better advantage?
both lens used to be same price and there is no technical reason to tell the price different ... I think it could be due to stock issue
 

roygoh

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
5,011
0
0
Northwest
Visit site
#11
Originally posted by melly
errr. no the 250d and 500d tells you the minimum focusing distance...

therefore, the closest focusing distance for 250 and 500 are 250mm and 500mm respectively..

the 250d is good for shorter focal lengths, while the 500d is meant for longer focal lengths :)

You mean the 500d is in stock.. man that's one rare item!!

the 250d is available in 58mm, 62m and 67mm while the 500d is available from 67mm to 77mm, if I'm not wrong..
They actually mean the same thing when the lens is focused at infinity.

When the lens is focused at infinity, the 250d, having 250mm focal length, in other words +4 diopter, will change the effective focal distance of the lens from infinity to 250mm.

The minimum focal distance is dependent on the minimum focal distance of the lens itself without the filter attached. The difference is not great, but there will be a difference.
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#12
Originally posted by megaweb
both lens used to be same price and there is no technical reason to tell the price different ... I think it could be due to stock issue
Probably a supply/demand issue. Price has dropped quite a bit too from last year.
 

Jan 17, 2003
123
0
0
43
Visit site
#13
Can someone please advise me which one to get? The 250D or 500D for my lenses as stated in the post above?

THanks in advance...

Regards,
TM
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom