Canon 20d or 30d ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twin fins

Feb 6, 2007
Dear Pro ,
Thinking of buying a 30d , is there a lot different between 20d n 30d beside the screen size ?

A used 20d body with grip bout $1200.00 (1.5 y'old shutter count less than 15k)
A new 30d body bout $1550.00

Which one would u get ? Need some advice here ..... thx.

I would go for the 30D... $350 more for new, with the new smell.
Spot metering... :D

That's just me..

Dear Pro ,
Thinking of buying a 30d , is there a lot different between 20d n 30d beside the screen size ?

A used 20d body with grip bout $1200.00 (1.5 y'old shutter count less than 15k)
A new 30d body bout $1550.00

Which one would u get ? Need some advice here ..... thx.

New 30D body for $1550? Where? I want a backup body! Kidding.

IIRC a new 30D body (warrantied set) goes for around 1.8k or thereabouts.

I'm a happy 30D user. Anyway I've used all three cameras in this series, 10D, 20D and 30D. All of them have excellent ergonomics. If you're used to one, you can probably pick up any of the three and use them like it's second nature.

New 30D body for $1550? Where? I want a backup body! Kidding.

IIRC a new 30D body (warrantied set) goes for around 1.8k or thereabouts.

I'm a happy 30D user. Anyway I've used all three cameras in this series, 10D, 20D and 30D. All of them have excellent ergonomics. If you're used to one, you can probably pick up any of the three and use them like it's second nature.

Pal coming from hk , $1550.00 with hk warranty ......

30D is the way to go.Spot metering being the biggest advantage.
Also, some might not agree with me, but the shutter is actually more sensisitve than the 20D's.It fires faster.

The big LCD is a great plus too.

Personally I would get a new 30D.

1. Better resale value
2. 1 year warranty compared to the 1.5 year 20D
3. 2.5Inch >>>>>> 1.8Inch =)

And only $350 difference, besides I believe you're going to use the camera for a very long time, so might as well get a new one =)

30D is the way to go.Spot metering being the biggest advantage.
Also, some might not agree with me, but the shutter is actually more sensisitve than the 20D's.It fires faster.

The big LCD is a great plus too.

Just bought a used Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 Lens with 5.5 years warranty left with hood , Hoya 67mm UV + Kenko 67mm CPL at $520.00 :) hope this is a wise choice ...

I am not sure where can you get a 30D for that price. A new 30D is about $1.9K used one about $1.6K and above. A used 20D about $1k. For me will definitely go for a used 20D. In use theres practically little difference.
The price difference now is huge for what is essentially the same camera with a larger LCD and spotmeter. Getting the 30D now you are likely to loose out a lot when its price eventually tumble after being replaced in a few month time.

20D for me. :thumbsup: 2nd hand prices are very low now. (~$1k+) Great body. I feel the 30D is just a 'glorified' version of 20D with bigger screen and spotmeter, which is overhyped anyway. The sensor and image quality for both cam is exactly the same, I rather save the $$$ difference and put it into a flash or lens.

30D is the way to go :thumbsup:

With a shutter durability longer than 20D, spot metering included plus a bigger LCD is worth more than $300+ IMHO. :)

5 x 30d vs 2 x 20d .....

Me too, joining the fun. :p

Now: 20D :thumbsup:
If can wait few months, when Canon announces 30D's replacement and 30D prices drop, can consider the 30D when that time comes.

Since you have intended splurge on it, get a new camera.

you will have warr and less regrets.

Get 2nd hand if you intend sell off soon.

Me too, joining the fun. :p

Now: 20D :thumbsup:
If can wait few months, when Canon announces 30D's replacement and 30D prices drop, can consider the 30D when that time comes.

Bro,
I've been waiting :cry: ... hoping that canon will come up with a 40D and prices of 30D will drop. some said march, now some say aug/sep... i need another body.

twin fins,
if you are getting a new 30D for the equivalent of S$1550, I would say go for it.

if we were comparing a brand new 20D with a brand new 30D, I would probably advise you to go for the 20D. But remember that this is a 2nd hand set. You never know what knocks the electronics have taken. even if the shutter count is 15K, its still 15K. Higher the shutter count, closer its to the grave - at least that's what the experts claim...
My 2 cents worth...

30D definitely... bigger LCD helps :thumbsup:

The diff is more like 500, TS was comparing 20D PLUS Grip w 30D Body ALONE....so 20D + Grip to me is a good deal, but spot metering is important to me...so I'd vote for 30D.

Status
Not open for further replies.