Canon 20D or 30D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kytus

Apr 15, 2004
San Deigo
I'm thinking about buying a new camera body within the next six months. I'm considering buying either a 20D or a 30D. I'm leaning more towards a 20D because it costs less. What are the advantages that the 30D offers over the 20D that would make me pay several hundred more for it?

I have a 30D. My friends have either 10D or 20D. Skin colour seems to be the best for 10D. 30D has a bigger screen than 20D which is better for preview.

580EX flash seems to match 10D best although no conclusive proof. This is based on what we experienced when we are using the flash.

ISO is better with 20D and 30D than 10D.

Grain seems to be better on 10D than 20D and 30D at lower ISO.

10D's vertical grip is very difficult to find nowadays.

10D's colour seems to be better.

yeah. the 10d is still great and files are much faster to process! love my 10D.
the only reason which i will want to upgrade from my 10d to a 20d would be the battery life and the better noise performance! dunno why.. somehow i prefer images from my 10d than my 20d although i use them side by side when shooting events. both are shooting raw.

I have a 30D. My friends have either 10D or 20D. Skin colour seems to be the best for 10D. 30D has a bigger screen than 20D which is better for preview.

580EX flash seems to match 10D best although no conclusive proof. This is based on what we experienced when we are using the flash.

ISO is better with 20D and 30D than 10D.

Grain seems to be better on 10D than 20D and 30D at lower ISO.

10D's vertical grip is very difficult to find nowadays.

10D's colour seems to be better.

I'm using 580EX too and so far no probs. ISO better becos of 1/3 increments? Grains of 10D even at ISO 3200 is still well managed. The BG-ED3 grip can still get new, i got mine direct from Canon but at a high price. Colours wise is compared when viewed on a computer monitor?

I will like to have 1 with spot metering :D might be useful someday.

between the 20D and 30D, for a newbie like myself i think i prefer the 30D. the only reason for this is that the screen is larger and i'm able to check my picture and composition better after i take the picture. to me, it helps me learn a tiny bit better while i'm on the go. also, when i'm on holiday i prefer to look at a slightly larger screen when playing back pictures. just gives me a little bit more flexibility.

i also like the ISO 1/3 increments as it gives that slightest bit more flexibility.

but the differences are really minimal.
- larger screen
- spot metering
- selectable 3 or 5fps
- 1/3 stop increments for ISO
- direct print button
- slightly improved a/f (Canon did not say what was improved)
- picture styles
- body has been made slightly rounder

I'm using 580EX too and so far no probs. ISO better becos of 1/3 increments? Grains of 10D even at ISO 3200 is still well managed. The BG-ED3 grip can still get new, i got mine direct from Canon but at a high price. Colours wise is compared when viewed on a computer monitor?

No. Colour is based on printed photos cause u all know lah, computer screen is never accurate. 10D skin tone looks so much better. Dun know why also.

No. Colour is based on printed photos cause u all know lah, computer screen is never accurate. 10D skin tone looks so much better. Dun know why also.

Computer screens can be calibrated. I'm not sure abt the skin tones produced by 10D cos when i compared to 20D and 30D, they all looked similar.

20d is now the best price for the performance

pros of 20d over 10d:

1. instant start up time vs 3 sec delay on 10d
2. far less noise on ISO1600
3. preview is fast . 10d has a laggy preview
4. less weight, slimmer body
5. 5 fps vs 3 fps on 10d
6. nicer looking red outlined neck strap

20d is now the best price for the performance

pros of 20d over 10d:

1. instant start up time vs 3 sec delay on 10d
2. far less noise on ISO1600
3. preview is fast . 10d has a laggy preview
4. less weight, slimmer body
5. 5 fps vs 3 fps on 10d
6. nicer looking red outlined neck strap

True. For point 4 i prefer a better built body and yr last point i prefer 10D's black strap so to me they're disadvantages.

10D with grip also looks better than 20D and 30D with grip.

how much is a new 20d now? any idea

lol........ sniff.... HK can get i tink.. sg shld be have.. but mus go find..

any idea wad is the price range?

wonder if any1 wana trade 20d for my d70s.. ahahha..... TEMPTED.. dun ask me y

Status
Not open for further replies.