Canon 1V

Status
Not open for further replies.
it makes the user feel inferior sometimes... its too clever

its heavy...

creates unwanted attention...

people think you are a good photographer if you carry one ;)

Happy shooting

none its the best film camera that cannon makes Own 2 of them Heavy and solid makes you feel that it can stop bullets

My chief complaint against the 1V (which i don't have) is Canon making us pay extra for that software which records all the shooting info.

The other complaint (against all Canon SLRs and dSLRs) is the MLU is a pain to use.

so st1100, do you reckon there's a better model film camera out there? (canon or non-canon)

i'm just curious becoz everyone keeps saying that the 1V is the best film SLR, what about the F5 or F100, are they that much behind in technological advances compared with Canon?

f5 and f100 cannot do high speed sync flash on the fly

and their ergonomics also quite messy..for me, 1v, 1n, 3 their layout a lot "cleaner"

=)

After shooting with a 1V, you won't be "satisfied" with shooting anything less than a "1" series Canon body...

The 1V with PB-E2 was like $3k+ when it was first introduced back in 2000 and I remember lusting over it then.

Now that I've finally got one, I must say that it has lived up to its hype as the "best" and possible the last 35mm film SLR... :bigeyes:

The build quality is immpecable, AF is lighting fast and the only "complaint" I have is that you can only get 10fps when using Canon's frightfully expensive NP-E2 NiMH battery pack! :(

tubbykat said:
so st1100, do you reckon there's a better model film camera out there? (canon or non-canon)

i'm just curious becoz everyone keeps saying that the 1V is the best film SLR, what about the F5 or F100, are they that much behind in technological advances compared with Canon?

i'm not saying there's a better camera (or that there isn't) - i'm just complaining (about the 1V) since you specifically asked for complaints. If the digital onslaught didn't hit me, i would be happily clicking away with a 1V today.

ST1100 said:
i'm not saying there's a better camera (or that there isn't) - i'm just complaining (about the 1V) since you specifically asked for complaints. If the digital onslaught didn't hit me, i would be happily clicking away with a 1V today.

I second what ST1100 said !

so which digital are you both using? 10D or 1D?
call me old fashion, i still find the colours on digital not as vibrant as on traditional film. without any touchups that is.

Putting the image quality aside for the time being, i find the digital workflow more convenient and allows more control from shoot to print.

Your film pictures are actually flat too - the greater the dynamic range of the medium, the flatter your picture will be actually. It's the lab that absorbs the touchup process. Send your negs to print at 5 different neighborhood labs and you'd see what i mean.

tubbykat said:
anyone users of the 1V in this forum?
what are the major complains so far? :dunno:

my complaints:

- uses 2CR5 batteries

- dodgy evaluative metering indoors, with tendency to underexpose. i overcome this by using my lightmeter instead and switching to manual mode. btw i'm referring to shooting available light indoors. if you're using flash, then it's a moot point. flash exposures are excellent.

- loud shutter and film advance mechanism (it sounds good, but its still loud!)

other than that, it's a fantastic camera!

the horizontal af point coverage is narrower compared to EOS 5. I used to be able not to do any focus-locking cos selecting the corner focus points will be sufficient to focus on my subject when using the EOS 5...... this is something that my nikon friends envy.

now, I have to do focusing locking to get it right.......

but still, it's a solid camera.

would be perfect if they throw in the ecf on the EOS 3. never figured why they took ecf out from 1n and 1v.....

1v...go play with it at camera workshop with the booster pack....wah piang machine gun... it is big, heavy, loud. However, i just hate the buttons they put for the functions and all...must press two at the same time to change the film drive...etc...and it doesn't look as manly and rugged as the mighty F5...weewoot....

Patryk said:
1v...go play with it at camera workshop with the booster pack....wah piang machine gun... it is big, heavy, loud. However, i just hate the buttons they put for the functions and all...must press two at the same time to change the film drive...etc...and it doesn't look as manly and rugged as the mighty F5...weewoot....

the reason why there's a 2 action sequence is so that you do not accidentally trigger or change any function. also, it makes the entire interface simpler and more elegant. i actually miss that interface when i use the 10D, which is more like your direct "press this, do that" push button interface.

i tried a roll on the 1V yesterday! it was awfully loud, is that normal? it's too loud for me to photograph my cats or wildlife.
also i tried using P mode while outdoors shooting a hotel's poolside and garden. man the wideshots of foliage were underexposed, leaves looked very dark. should i have used M mode instead. not used to the weight as well, with the grip it was sturdy but bulky.
anyway quite disappointed but the shots indoors were nice, especially when used with the speedlight.

btw, if the camera was 8mths old, used by a freelancer, not often as this freelancer has another SLR, what do you reckon the film roll count for this camera will be? i want to know if i am wrong to be shocked at the count on this camera...

tubbykat said:
i tried a roll on the 1V yesterday! it was awfully loud, is that normal? it's too loud for me to photograph my cats or wildlife.
also i tried using P mode while outdoors shooting a hotel's poolside and garden. man the wideshots of foliage were underexposed, leaves looked very dark. should i have used M mode instead. not used to the weight as well, with the grip it was sturdy but bulky.
anyway quite disappointed but the shots indoors were nice, especially when used with the speedlight.

btw, if the camera was 8mths old, used by a freelancer, not often as this freelancer has another SLR, what do you reckon the film roll count for this camera will be? i want to know if i am wrong to be shocked at the count on this camera...
Well, u can check the film-roll count out with the 1V software.

tubbykat said:
i got the count, i just want to hear the guesses you guys come up with before i make my judgement.
Care to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.