Canon 1V

Status
Not open for further replies.
you've purchased your 1V at a pretty good price...

And from what you have described , you probably have not handled a 1V enough before you make the purchase...

the 1V is louder as compared with slightly lower end cameras such as the whisper quiet EOS 30, which is still a very good camera in my opinion but is ideal for discrete operations (not that the camera is exacly small)

The 1V is a very well built camera and the shutter will normally exceed its intended 100,000 shots liftspan... so don't worry too much about the sound...

Its ultra fast focsing and low light capablities (n built of course) is some of the better features of the camera...

And the fact that it has not been replaced for such a long time is a testament to its capabilities :)

a ultra solid and sturdy camera. looks invincible and professional (esp when you have a 16-35 and 550ex attached)..big camera, big lens, big flash :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
not to forget the big battery pack.. :devil:

i'm just abit curious... but why shld a professional camera's metering be off only indoors? its still meter's light wad.

if u spot meter someone's face it shld expose correctly, or if u meter the entire scene it wld be the same as metering outside at dusk/sawn etc...

doesnt all meter's see grey ultimatly?

But even so, i'm really asking this as question BTW, we can always trick the camera into proper exposure wad, some meter pavements, grey cards, similiar subjects...etc. so why does it get affected indoors?

i don't own the 1V, but just wondering - doesn't it come with a delayed mirror-return mode that is supposedly quieter?

tubbykat said:
i tried a roll on the 1V yesterday! it was awfully loud, is that normal? it's too loud for me to photograph my cats or wildlife.
also i tried using P mode while outdoors shooting a hotel's poolside and garden. man the wideshots of foliage were underexposed, leaves looked very dark. should i have used M mode instead. not used to the weight as well, with the grip it was sturdy but bulky.
anyway quite disappointed but the shots indoors were nice, especially when used with the speedlight.

yes, the camera is rather loud. U use it with the grip? IMHO, if u're not shooting a lot of long lenses or sports, the 1v is best used without grip. it is in fact the only "pro" camera (by design anyway) that you can reduce the size and weight by not adding the grip- the Nikon F5 comes with grip built it, and so does all the Nikon pro digital SLRs, and the Canon pro digital SLRs (1d, 1ds etc).

By not adding the grip you have a smaller camera which is more manageable, and the only thing u're trading is the 10 fps - which you probably wun need unless u're doing a lot of sports. the camera is fast and responsive enough for 99.9% of all situations u're probably likely to encounter.

the evaluative metering on the 1v is very sensitive to bright areas and will compensate accordingly, sometimes too much. even a small area of very bright area in the frame might alert the meter. u can test this out by pointing the camera at various scenes and looking at the exposure scale. this is good if u shoot slides a lot though. anyway, always avoid taking a metering reading when you have a lot of skies in the scene. taking the reading off a near middle gray subject in the scene then recompose.

btw, if the camera was 8mths old, used by a freelancer, not often as this freelancer has another SLR, what do you reckon the film roll count for this camera will be? i want to know if i am wrong to be shocked at the count on this camera...

u said the roll count was 308? that seems like a lot for a backup camera.

But, if the previous owner do a lot of mid roll rewind (like i do), this could affect the film count too. for example, i shoot half a roll of E100VS, take out the roll, and put in Press 800. Then later i put the E100VS back into the camera when i am outdoors. that's 3 rolls for the counter!

kweehonjin said:
Er... no it doesn't... I think the 1D Mk2 does though! :)

oeywind is right - the 1v comes with a delayed shutter "quiet mode" - how it works is that the mirror will not return and film will not advance as long as you hold onto the shutter button - this allows you to take a shot, and maybe move to a more discreet area or release the shutter button at a more appropriate time - like for example, if u're photographing a concert, u take a shot, and release the shutter only when the quiet sections of the orchestra has ended and the drums come on :) after u release the shutter, the mirror returns (noise) and the film advances in a slower quieter fashion (but still noisy!!!!)

the quiet mode only works in single shot mode, not continous. so wat i do is to enable it, but switch to single shot only if i think i need the more discreet operation. otherwise, by default, i'm in continous shot mode. as long as i keep a light finger on the shutter, i'll still be shooting one frame at a time......

HOWEVER, there's 2 caveats:

1) you need the Es-E1 cable and software to enable this mode. this means u're stuck with quiet mode for single shot mode during a shoot and can't change it at will, not unless u attach the 1v to a laptop or something to change it.

2) it doesn't work with the PB-E2 power booster attached.

that's why i still think the 1v is "better" without the grip - it's the most robust and reliable "small" SLR. (compared to its competitors anyway..)

thank you Reddawn for your comments, most enlightening :)
actually i was quite disappointed with the 1V, you are right i used it with the grip. now contemplating Nikon F100. ok ok don't shoot me down here, i know i'm in a Canon thread.

think is you have to see it from my perspective, i am upgrading to a AF SLR from a totally manual Minolta X700. i've been so used to the simple functions of the X700 that when i used the 1V, i felt like an idiot and those fabulous 101 features, really i don't think i need them. so i thought a simpler model will suffice like the F100? any recommendations from the Canon range, that is quiet enough for me to take animals as well as for wedding shoots?

i will still be getting a DSLR, just not now.

eos 30/33. and any usm lens. if you want you cld go for an eos 3

eos 30 rocks, dampened mirror slap, slient rewind, major features and custom functions ECF if u want. AF works damn well, lacks a spot meter, thats all.. and with the new ones u get TTL II!

canon did sell it as the quiet camera.

or you cld look into an F80. =( sqeeky mirror sound.. like kee-keeew haha.. but its soft sounding.

tubbykat said:
actually i was quite disappointed with the 1V, you are right i used it with the grip. now contemplating Nikon F100. ok ok don't shoot me down here, i know i'm in a Canon thread.

think is you have to see it from my perspective, i am upgrading to a AF SLR from a totally manual Minolta X700. i've been so used to the simple functions of the X700 that when i used the 1V, i felt like an idiot and those fabulous 101 features, really i don't think i need them. so i thought a simpler model will suffice like the F100? any recommendations from the Canon range, that is quiet enough for me to take animals as well as for wedding shoots?

i think the F100 will be as complicating! :sweat:

moos blues said:
eos 30/33. and any usm lens. if you want you cld go for an eos 3

eos 30 rocks, dampened mirror slap, slient rewind, major features and custom functions ECF if u want. AF works damn well, lacks a spot meter, thats all.. and with the new ones u get TTL II!

canon did sell it as the quiet camera.

or you cld look into an F80. =( sqeeky mirror sound.. like kee-keeew haha.. but its soft sounding.

eos30v/33v, eos30 are middle range cameras.

tubbykat said:

X700.. miss that camera....sigh....
moved on to the EOS30... no regrets...real quiet too, first few timesI hit the shutter i thot it was wasn't winding.

:D :D

EOS 30, not bad... used it recently for some film snapping.

Full frame is nice... ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.