Canon 1D series worth to get

sadper

Apr 18, 2012
Saw from other forum that some people are selling the 1Ds3 or 1Dn for less then SGD$1500.

Is it still worth to buy and compare to current 5D3 or 5D2? Or even the 6D1 is better ?

Would like to know, please enlighten me.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

I wouldn't get it. Based on image quality alone at higher ISO the 6D1 is way better compared to the 1DS3.

The 1DS3 being a 10 year old camera also has a very small and low res screen by today's standards.

depends on what is your priority(what are u shooting...etc), your question is vague.
it is like asking if I should buy a 5d3 or 7D2.
1Ds3 should be similar to 5d2, just like 5d3 to 1Dx and 5d4 to 1Dx2.
In most cases, it is hard to beat technology.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get it. Based on image quality alone at higher ISO the 6D1 is way better compared to the 1DS3.

The 1DS3 being a 10 year old camera also has a very small and low res screen by today's standards.
Understand that. But was thinking that that was once a top end camera. So the image quality will still be good with a low res not mentioning about ISO.

I started off with film shooting so compare to this the film ISO dont improve over the years. So that will means as long the electonic is working it will be a good camera with a low res.

Nowadays people dont print out but post in on facebook so that will be enough.

depends on what is your priority(what are u shooting...etc), your question is vague.
it is like asking if I should buy a 5d3 or 7D2.
1Ds3 should be similar to 5d2, just like 5d3 to 1Dx and 5d4 to 1Dx2.
In most cases, it is hard to beat technology.
U r right that following technology is hard. I'm in confusions

Just saw a 1Ds sold again. Really make me in cusfusion.

What's so confusing?

There are many reasons why some folks like older 1 series bodies. They are still very capable in capable hands. Some folks may have wanted a 1 series body all along but waited for the right time to pick up a used set for lower price. Worth is relative and subjective.

I've been using my 1DSmk3 for the last couple of years and i'm happy with it since my setting is always at base ISO with occasional auto ISO boost.
Will continue using it until it dies by which it may not be economically worth repairing.
As a contributor above said, in capable hands it is capable of good images.

Btw, to sadper, this is a 21mp camera, only the LCD display at the back is low res 3" panel.

Straight out of camera jpeg shot with EF40mm f2.8 STM

Last edited:
Kit is right.

Capable hand give capable picture. I think i must attend some workshop liao

It may not be excellent but i find it good enough for a 10 years old camera with a limited range of High ISO settings when printed on 8x10 paper.
Compare with current cameras with excellent High ISO performance, it's limitation is apparently obvious.
The high ISO noise is still good without any banding issue.

Again this was straight from camera jpeg shot last Saturday at its max ISO of 3200 with an EF40mm f2.8 STM lens.

$YEQiSGYl.jpg

Still using 1ds2 happily. I think the 1ds3 would be even better?

In the age of electronics, I think dslr camera itself might not have significant impacts on image quality as compare to L lenses and lighting combo:)

Personally I am really sort of tired of seeing corner to corner clinical sharpness. Some of the old 10-12mp sensors have a really nice balance to them imo. So if one looks at it that way the camera TS asks about does indeed work. I would add one can still print nicely with such a camera. And yes glass in capable hands is where it is at!

Last edited:
I have a 400D that i still use from time to time, it's still fairly decent and 10mp is more than sufficient for web publishing. Pair it with a 50 1.8 and it's a joy to shoot with. I dare say the images won't be too far off from my 700D (or perhaps even the 70D).

So, if you need the build quality (but not so much of the latest and greatest features) why not pick up a 1 series?

I have a 400D that i still use from time to time, it's still fairly decent and 10mp is more than sufficient for web publishing. Pair it with a 50 1.8 and it's a joy to shoot with. I dare say the images won't be too far off from my 700D (or perhaps even the 70D).

So, if you need the build quality (but not so much of the latest and greatest features) why not pick up a 1 series?

I started off with with film camera and jump to get the canon 300D but was down like 10yrs ago and i try to get it repair but was not worth it. So i bought a pns to use first while waiting for the full frame to drop in price. Look like the price is not dropping so that turn me to second market where i saw the 1d on sale for like $700 and 1d3 for $1600 (not s version).

Last edited:
One more thing that I noticed with markIII of the 1D series is the exposure algorithm when Safety Shift for ISO is set, it will try to stay at the base ISO during long night exposure.
The long exposure noise control still good.

And yes I started with film too when I was about 10yrs old.