Canon 18-55mm or 18-200mm?

jamester1981

Jul 14, 2010
Hi I am getting my first DSLR camera and I am wondering with would be better the 18-55mm or 18-200mm lens kit. I like that the 18-200mm captures alot but at the same time, i am wondering if i really need to zoom that much. any thoughts on whihc owuld be a better choice for a noob? thanks

Personally, I'd get the 18-200.

Why? Because as a newbie, I'd try all focal lengths to see what genre of photography I am into. Also, with additional focal length, I won't have to worry about switching lenses and is useful for walkabouts.

HTH.

Cheers!

Hi I am getting my first DSLR camera and I am wondering with would be better the 18-55mm or 18-200mm lens kit. I like that the 18-200mm captures alot but at the same time, i am wondering if i really need to zoom that much. any thoughts on whihc owuld be a better choice for a noob? thanks
Welcome to CS :)
Both range are good, but it all depends on your style of photography.
I would go for the 18-200mm coz its a more versatile lens, its wide enough & long eonough. It gives a good coverage. You never know when you need the extra zoom & its quite a good walk about lens for that reach ;)

I got the same dilemma as you last time.

It actually depends on what you wish to shoot.
18-55 - Very basic 2-3times zoom lens. Light and easy to carry around. You can grab another 55-200 to compensate it for the lack of zoom.
18-200 - 10 times zoom. Very heavy and bulky. No need to keep changing lens. 1 walkabout lens for everything.

I made a wrong choice and gotten myself the 18-55. It is simply too limited despite the fact that it is very light.
IMO, do get a 18-200 for your first lens. It will do you more good then harm.

economically, it makes more sense to get kit 2 (18-200) set cos when u sell off this lens later, you actually saved more on your cam body.

I bought my 450D at $1600+ but i sold my lens at $950 after 1 month usage... so my body only cost me $700+

But if i buy kit 1 (18-55) set instead, it will cost me more for my cam body since the lens is worth the most $150. So approximately $1.1k+ - $150 = cost of body.

technically, like others says, u get to explore more focal length, 55mm -> 200mm

:)

ha my opinion would be 18-200mm

more variety of shots, meaning u can take wide angle shots of 18mm and telephoto shot of 200mm whereas the 18-55mm can onli reach 55mm for telelphoto shots, so yah its like buying a longer string, u can use it as a short string, but u will always have room to go for longer distances :D
i bought mine i with a 18-55mm cause it was cheaper, back then i didnt know what thoese numbers meant, so i just went with the cheaper one, so now when i want to reach telephoto ranges of 100mm or more, i need to buy another lens, lol so ya.

u shld compare the prices of the 2 kits and the amount that differences them, take that and see the difference between the prices of the 2 lenses, so may be when u buy in a kit its much cheaper

:D have fun

Possible disadvantage of 18-200mm are:

1. Price

2. Weight

3. Speed

4. Image quality

Thanks everyone for your replies. Really appreciate all the invaluable insights! Looks like my choice is quite obvious! Cheers!!!!!!:)

i've got the kit 2 after weighing the factors mentioned above and am quite happy with what im using now. get to laugh at friends who wants to zoom in and birds but have to sswitch lens XP

jus got a 2mths old 18-200mm from the BNS section last week. luv it man..

The 18-200mm is an easy lens to use simply because it is really versatile. Of course, it's price can be significant when compared to the 18-55mm

I am getting mine end of this month too. As I will be travelling extensively end of this year till next year, I will be getting the 18-200mm.

Last time I checked it cost $1725 over at alan photo

$1725 with body i assume..?
was shock to see e price at first..
tot u buying e lens alone at tat price..
LOL..

I am getting mine end of this month too. As I will be travelling extensively end of this year till next year, I will be getting the 18-200mm.

I'd go with 18-200. Like what bro Dingaroo said, you'll have more to play around with.

Hi Flimevoli, u saw $1725 @ Alan photos? any additional stuff they giving u? thanks

Originally Posted by flimevoli View Post

i'd get the 18-55mm to start off with, and if u feel the need for more, get a better tele zoom lens; thats wat i did