canon 18-55 mm kit lens and Tamron 28-75mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Is the difference of 20mm between the 2 lens mentioned above significant enough to make a difference?
Should I get the tamron lens if i already have the kit lens? usually for lens of such focal lens would be best suited for what type of events? pls advise .. thx:D

Hi all,

Is the difference of 20mm between the 2 lens mentioned above significant enough to make a difference?
Should I get the tamron lens if i already have the kit lens? usually for lens of such focal lens would be best suited for what type of events? pls advise .. thx:D

If your camera is AP-C sensor, you need to multiple 1.6 to the 18 which give you 28mm

28 x 1.6 gives you 44mm

this will be your minimum angle for the 2 lenses

18-55 is all purpose and so is the 28-75 on a FF camera

do you just mutiply 1.6 to the minimum? or maximum as well?
so can i say that the tamron 28-75 mm lens is very similar to the canon 18-55mm with not much difference?
should i just go for the kit lens or get the tamron one? i prefer the tamron one cuz of the constant f2.8

do you just mutiply 1.6 to the minimum? or maximum as well?
so can i say that the tamron 28-75 mm lens is very similar to the canon 18-55mm with not much difference?
should i just go for the kit lens or get the tamron one? i prefer the tamron one cuz of the constant f2.8

you do that to all the numbers
so your 18-55 is 28-88mm (wide to zomm)
so your 28-75 is 44-120mm (not wide angled though, more standard to zoom.

so decide what you want to shoot. if you want a standard 3rd party kit lens, go for the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. tis will give you 17 = 27 and the 50 = 80
so the 17-50 is equvalent to 27-80mm F2.8

Go for the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 since you want the F2.8 aperture.

Hi, my camera is not a full frame one, im planning to buy a 50d... so i see, the reason for suggesting 17-50mm is because if fitted on my camera the actual range would be 27-80mm. Thx the explanation!

I wanna shoot stuff like still life, macro, portraits and probably those indoor party events (group photos, family photos etc...)
what lens would you suggest?

usually for lens of such focal lens would be best suited for what type of events? pls advise .. thx:D

If you buy lenses and ask later for the purpose you'll get a nice collection of expensive paper weights and a big hole in the wallet. Take your kit lens or the Tamron and start shooting. Find out what you need (not just want), read up more about it and you can make a good decision buying a certain lens. Tamron has a nice focal length comparison at their website. Gives you a first idea. There is no "indoor party lens".

Hi, my camera is not a full frame one, im planning to buy a 50d... so i see, the reason for suggesting 17-50mm is because if fitted on my camera the actual range would be 27-80mm. Thx the explanation!

I wanna shoot stuff like still life, macro, portraits and probably those indoor party events (group photos, family photos etc...)
what lens would you suggest?

All rounder = Tamron 17-50mm F2.8
Portraits = Canon 50mm F1.4 or 50mm f1.8 or 85mm F1.4 or 85mm F1.8
Macro = Tamron 90mm or greater like 200mm or even 300mm

All rounder = Tamron 17-50mm F2.8
Portraits = Canon 50mm F1.4 or 50mm f1.8 or 85mm F1.4 or 85mm F1.8
Macro = Tamron 90mm or greater like 200mm or even 300mm

Can i ask why would macro shots need such great zoom distance? as in whats the main purpose of having focal length of 200 or 300 mm compared to a regular 17-500mm since macro shots are like very close up shots.

is it for the purpose of getting close up pictures of things that are not within your reach or to even move close to it such as close up face shot of a lion?

sorry for the noob questions, i wanna get my facts right. thanks!

Both the tamron 17-50 and 28-75 are good lenses.
I use my 17-50 for street and landscape. Some may find the 28-75 neither here nor there. Its not wide enough and not long enough on a cropped sensor. Well, thats kinda true, but its good for portrait shots and can do macro (though cannot do 1:1 ratio like the 90mm).

If cant decide, then maybe consider getting the body with 17-85 kit lor.

Can i ask why would macro shots need such great zoom distance? as in whats the main purpose of having focal length of 200 or 300 mm compared to a regular 17-500mm since macro shots are like very close up shots.

is it for the purpose of getting close up pictures of things that are not within your reach or to even move close to it such as close up face shot of a lion?

sorry for the noob questions, i wanna get my facts right. thanks!

can someone help answer this question? =D

First off, you use the word zoom wrongly. You mean telephoto.

As for macro, it's to increase the distance between you and subject. Say you want to take an insect photo, if you have to go close, it will fly away.

Why are you using the difference in focal length to even justify a purchase?

You buy a lens because you need it.

i tink the TS is very very confused and got lost in his own questions and thoughts.

the 50D is not full-frame, the 18-55 kit lens is good, 28-75 is not very useful on a 1.6 crop camera (imho).

buying a new toy wun make anyone w/o sound fundamentals a better photographer. maybe even make him/her worse, cus got more confused. by the time change to the "correct" lens, the golden moment long gone liao :cry:.

i tink the TS is very very confused and got lost in his own questions and thoughts.

the 50D is not full-frame, the 18-55 kit lens is good, 28-75 is not very useful on a 1.6 crop camera (imho).

buying a new toy wun make anyone w/o sound fundamentals a better photographer. maybe even make him/her worse, cus got more confused. by the time change to the "correct" lens, the golden moment long gone liao :cry:.

yea im confused and thats the very reason why im asking questions, everyone start with questions and when the are experienced they answer questions. I did mention that i wanna buy 50d which is not full frame, not upgrading to that and hoping to be a better photographer as this is gonna be my first camera.

thx to the experienced ones for answering my questions and no thanks to those who came to drop useless comments lol

yea im confused and thats the very reason why im asking questions, everyone start with questions and when the are experienced they answer questions. I did mention that i wanna buy 50d which is not full frame, not upgrading to that and hoping to be a better photographer as this is gonna be my first camera.

thx to the experienced ones for answering my questions and no thanks to those who came to drop useless comments lol

I think it is best that you get the kit and try it out. For one with no experience, it is quite hard to explain more to you. The thing you have to understand about focal length is that everyone has different scopes of use and level of comfort with using lenses of a certain focal length.

I did question why you are using focal length to justify a purchase. From what I see, you don't really understand how a focal length will look like through your viewfinder. Hence, getting a kit lens would be the best course of action at the moment; it will help you understand how each focal length looks through your viewfinder.

Last edited:
Get one or the other.
18-55 mm if you tend to go wide, 28-75mm if you tend to zoom. Essentially, its what others have been trying to say- get it based on what your shooting needs are.

I think it is best that you get the kit and try it out. For one with no experience, it is quite hard to explain more to you. The thing you have to understand about focal length is that everyone has different scopes of use and level of comfort with using lenses of a certain focal length.

I did question why you are using focal length to justify a purchase. From what I see, you don't really understand how a focal length will look like through your viewfinder. Hence, getting a kit lens would be the best course of action at the moment; it will help you understand how each focal length looks through your viewfinder.

thanks for the tips, i was playing with my cousin's camera using tamron 28-75mm lens and thought its quite good for portraits but didnt try to take landscape pics, therefore just wondering, lol and after reading all the posts im not as confused as before..not saying i understand but its better than earlier. so, thank you people =)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.