Canon 18-200mm Good Enough?

brlcc

Jan 9, 2010
Hi,
I have a question that would need some advise here. Currently I am using Canon 500D with kit len 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS. There are some postings here that show that 18-200mm is quite a versatile lens which is capable of taking some nice shots on it.

I did try to use it without flash in a dim lighted room, and the photos turn out bad, as wondering getting a more general purpose/prime lens would be more helpful.

If I would like to take some wedding photos (Not as a job) and kids photo, shall I get any one of these lens? Is 18-200mm good enough for the a/m tasks if I just add in the EX580 Speedlite or better I get another lens?

1. EFS 17-55 mm f2.8 IS USM
2. EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
3. EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
4. EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
5. EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Thanks in advance.

looking at your lens list, you should ask yourself which are ur prefered focal lengths?
i have a feeling you will like the 24-105L.
and yes, external flash is important and its not very expensive compared to good lenses. pls buy one if u are serious.

Yes, the 18-200mm lens is a good lens. For a dimly lit room, you will either need flash or a fast prime.

For wedding, if you're not the main photog (ie. just shooting for fun), then the 18-200 + 580EX will suffice. Unless of course you have the money to buy more lenses, you can consider 17-55mm + 85mm combi

Yes, definitely I had to invest in the flash after seeing such bad photos.

At this point of time, I consider myself a much amateur but quite serious in photography ;) Previously I had been taking photos on my company events and my kids, with this compact digital camera and seriously the quality taken by DSLR, it is just 2 different worlds. Have to go slow on this new love as DSLR photography is a very expensive hobby.:(

Sorry to ask a silly question, will my 18-200mm lens overlap the 17-55mm and 85mm lens? Or these 2 are totally different lens compared to 18-200mm?

Thanks guys

sometimes it is not a matter of overlap or not, but the size of the aperture of 17-55 and 85. if canon comes out with 18-200mm f2.8, then it will be enough. :p

sometimes it is not a matter of overlap or not, but the size of the aperture of 17-55 and 85. if canon comes out with 18-200mm f2.8, then it will be enough. :p
11x zoom with constant f2.8, wow, that will a big big monster man. hahaha...........;p

i actually the same kit as urs, and it's been a year. so far, it has been a good travel lens for me..i travel back and forth to my home country, indonesia..last month i went on a trip to bali and most of the time i used the 18-200mm for all shots..prime remains untouched.
but i do find difficulties using it during low light situation. i attended my brother's graduation ceremony(lights are dim) with 550EX and i had better shots. so perhaps, getting a flash gun would be my advice..if u r serious enuff..IMO i'd pick 50mm f1.4, it's easier for me to capture a quick moments with its weight, i can easily shift around.

Yes, definitely I had to invest in the flash after seeing such bad photos.

At this point of time, I consider myself a much amateur but quite serious in photography ;) Previously I had been taking photos on my company events and my kids, with this compact digital camera and seriously the quality taken by DSLR, it is just 2 different worlds. Have to go slow on this new love as DSLR photography is a very expensive hobby.:(

Sorry to ask a silly question, will my 18-200mm lens overlap the 17-55mm and 85mm lens? Or these 2 are totally different lens compared to 18-200mm?

Thanks guys

the DOF of the 3 lenses you mention are different from one another.
18-200 is an excellent choice for oversea trip cause you just need one lens to cover almost all range. but the IQ and DOF so so only.

17-55 is a very sharp lens with nice DOF and bokeh effects due to it f2.8. the range is abit short but good enough for indoor shoot.
85 is a prime lens, unable to zoom but excellent IQ and fast lens. usually use for potrait.

All three have different purpose although the range overlap each other.
So depend on what you need. Rent or borrow them and test it out before your purchase.
Newbie here too, lets learn together.

I think I shall go and rent these 3 equipments to have a feel before making any purchase. Any nice rent shop to look out for? Thanks.

For this range, its a good all round lens. Get a speedlite to go with it ;)