Canon 17-40mm VS 16-35mm Is There a Winner?


Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalLady

New Member
Jul 12, 2004
30
0
0
Canon 17-40mm f/4L VS 16-35mm f/2.8L





what is the best wide angle between thes 2 lens plz help me
thanks
:)
 

togu

Senior Member
Jul 11, 2002
5,290
0
0
47
@ D08
www.tommygui.com
Ask yourself what you need.

If (need 1mm and the speed)
the choice is clear.​
Else
get 17-40mm
keep the extra cash​
End if
 

CupNoodle

New Member
Dec 21, 2003
65
0
0
41
Singapore!
www.visuallyentertained.com
the 16-35mm F2.8L is good under low light conditions, both are wide angle lens.
i would think for the given price tags, the 17-40mm F4L would be a good buy unless like what togu said u require that 1mm.
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,875
64
48
45
Upper Bukit Timah
www.arkitecturalphotography.com
I was fortunate enough to loan both lenses from a shop to try out before buying. The 17-40 won hands down in every single aperture and focal length cept at f2.8 and 16mm which it doesn't have. I might have tried a bad 16-35 though but I was told my findings were consistant with other customers who did the same comparison with different sets of lenses. I bought the 17-40. If you don't need f2.8, go for it.
 

erwinx

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,427
0
36
Visit site
DigitalLady said:
Canon 17-40mm f/4L VS 16-35mm f/2.8L

what is the best wide angle between thes 2 lens plz help me
thanks
:)

The off-centre AF cross-sensors of your 1Ds only work with f/2.8 lenses or faster. F/2.8 L lenses are a natural match for your camera body.

Because of the resolving power of the 1Ds, you may want to consider L primes like 14mm L and 24mm L

I have found the 16-35L to be a good performer. Some softness issues could be due to focusing inaccuracy in consumer bodies. Since you have a 1Ds, shouldn't be a problem.
 

DigitalLady

New Member
Jul 12, 2004
30
0
0
i think i will get one as kit say winner 17-40mm f4 :)
 

oeyvind

Senior Member
Feb 25, 2002
3,833
1
38
www.oeyvind.org
erwinx said:
The off-centre AF cross-sensors of your 1Ds only work with f/2.8 lenses or faster. F/2.8 L lenses are a natural match for your camera body.

Because of the resolving power of the 1Ds, you may want to consider L primes like 14mm L and 24mm L

I have found the 16-35L to be a good performer. Some softness issues could be due to focusing inaccuracy in consumer bodies. Since you have a 1Ds, shouldn't be a problem.
ditto. ^^
 

Russ

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2003
1,639
0
36
Pasir Ris
Visit site
I am seriously considering one as well.
Possible to get it for $1,200 incl GST???
 

lauLEE

New Member
Jun 8, 2003
237
0
0
North-East
Visit site
DigitalLady said:
i think i will get one as kit say winner 17-40mm f4 :)
I would seriously advise you to take the 16-35mm instead since you are using the 1D. You'll never regret with this lens if $ is no problem for you.
 

Ivan11

Member
May 23, 2004
406
0
16
45
Sembawang
Russ said:
I am seriously considering one as well.
Possible to get it for $1,200 incl GST???
The best price i got was $1205 on 13/7 from MS. So should be quite near to yr budget :)
 

scud

Senior Member
Jul 28, 2003
1,808
0
0
Singapore
www.fotolightbox.com
Ivan11 said:
The best price i got was $1205 on 13/7 from MS. So should be quite near to yr budget :)
MS normally quote w/o gst.
if $1205 includes gst, then it is good deal.
 

ocean

Member
Apr 6, 2003
175
3
18
50
Singapore
Visit site
So does AP...

So far, CP's quotation have always included GST.

Digital Lady, what kind of photos do you intent to take with the wide angle lens? Landscape?
 

zod

New Member
Mar 30, 2003
1,279
0
0
stocks of 17-40 just arrived at ms
quoted $1150 w/o gst
 

DigitalLady

New Member
Jul 12, 2004
30
0
0
hi ocean yah ! landscpe
 

Virgo

Senior Member
Dec 23, 2003
4,813
0
0
West of Singapore
www.pbase.com
DigitalLady said:
hi ocean yah ! landscpe
Hi,

If you're only taking landscape with it, I would advice you to take the 17-40. It beats the 16-35 hands down in tearms of AF and overall pic quality, although both are Ls.

Unless you're going for low light shots, you should seriously get the 17-40.
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,875
64
48
45
Upper Bukit Timah
www.arkitecturalphotography.com
Like that then you would be stepping down the lens most of the time. Heck, you don't even need AF for landscapes. Save some money and get the 17-40 unless you really need the extra 1mm on the wide side.
 

ScoobaKev

Senior Member
May 27, 2004
873
0
16
If you do mostly landscapes, than I think the 17-40mm L will suit you fine. Used it as my primarily lens when I went travelling to the States & Canada and the pics came out excellent...hardly had to use my 28-70mm L at all. Go for the 17-40mm & save the money! I was tempted by the 16-35mm L as well but decided that the extra $$$ wasn't really worth it. By the way, I do have a 35mm f/2 to resolve the few low-light issues that I encounter.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.