Canon 135mm F2 L lens

nicotine

Feb 14, 2009
1) How far would i have to stand back to take a FULL body shot of an adult person on a crop sensor with the camera on vertical position?

2) Does it inhibits strong/minor CA on high contrast object like the 85mm F1.8 usm?

3) Auto focus consistency on low light environment?

:dunno:

tks.

1) How far would i have to stand back to take a FULL body shot of an adult person on a crop sensor with the camera on vertical position?

2) Does it inhibits strong/minor CA on high contrast object like the 85mm F1.8 usm?

tks.
found the answer for 1) 10.8m

k tks

owned and used the 85 1.8 and 135L before.

I don't have an answer for #1.

for #2, it's much better than the 85 1.8, no complains on that

#3 worked well on 5D1.

found the answer for 1) 10.8m

I think it depends more on how tall your subject is. So there is no such thing as a fix figure but your 10.8m is a guide plus minus a few cm

135mmL is a very value for money prime L lens, pleasing bokeh, and really snappy AF on my 5d2. i did not notice too much of CA though.

ryan

135L F2
would say blazing fast af.
creamy bokeh
0.9m min focusing helps with closeup.

Yes need to stand quite far where you need to shout to direct the model.

if u serious abt portraiture shoots.. for me, it is a must get.

I got mine and never looked back :thumbsup:

On a 1.6x crop body, it becomes a very fast lens (af speed & aperture) become like a 200 f2 USM L ! On a full frame, it's PERFECT! I love 85 range too however feels that 85 is no longer quite a tele is more like a wide end for a tele range. Sharing one shot below shot with a cheap 500D loan from my friend before I got my 5D2. Picture style everything set to neutral, color and contrast is excellent, sharpness is damn sharp wide open, even feel like reducing the sharpening in picture style even I leave everything to normal. I am ok with the range on FF for full body shot as this is definitely better then any 70200 range which stuck at usual f2.8 or f4 which bokeh and sharpness cannot be compared to the 135L prime.

Unsharpen, unedited just resize
4709229407_41bc180b2a_b.jpg

4709871482_776e9573f6_b.jpg

To add on (Ot abit), this is one of the lens that tempted make me switch from Nikon to Canon, because of all their good L primes and reasonable price (not cheap but definitely reasonable). Nikon might have one of this in the futureeeeeeeeeeee but we are talking and looking at what's available now, probably when N made one, it will again priced at a extremely high and possibly slow af like all their recent prime. If I offended any fan boy, sorry as I am not endorsing for anyone just speaking from my 5 years of experience shooting with Nikon. In short if you want the best of portrait and mid tele lens with gd quality and bokeh, the 135L and 85L will NOT disappoint you.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
That's some crazy level of sharpness :O. How come I didn't know Canon had such an awesome lens at such an awesome price haha. Definitely going to buy it end of this year as I shoot a lot of indoor sports and the 70-200 f4 I occasionally get to borrow is simply not fast enough

Nikon might have one of this in the futureeeeeeeeeeee

Got la, the cult nikon 135mm f2.0 DC.

But i agree that for the price that u can get an 135L ( esp used ) , it is a great L prime to own. good af speed on my 5d. Loved using it till i got the 85L..

ryan

tks.

Really far, if I remember for an adult ... but still able to communicate with subject ...

Minor CA, like on lights (see picture below, at 100% crop, minor CA on the highlights shining on top of cage, not very noticeable in normal view)

Depends on camera I guess

Anyway, I love this lens, and am happy as this guy who jumped up for joy, taken with the lens on 7D.

4710095356_1f59e7d85b_o.jpg

Poisoning thread.. Hehe..
135L is real sharp.

U need to shout to the model? Wow.. scary if doing street photography. Hehe.. people thought u r getting fight.

Poisoning thread.. Hehe..
135L is real sharp.

U need to shout to the model? Wow.. scary if doing street photography. Hehe.. people thought u r getting fight.

Better not shoot full body with 135, use 50mm, easier ... 135 has other uses, head and shoulders for example. Another good thing about 135L is its relatively light weight.

Last edited:
135L, my precious...... love it.. (that and the sigma 30mm 1.4)