Status
Not open for further replies.

Joywalker

Mar 22, 2003
East
joywalker.blogspot.com
Help me to decide.
So far,I have saved up $560.
Should I just get the Tamron 90mm or should I save a couple more hundreds to get the Canon 100mm?

I read the reviews about the two lenses, it appears that the front elements of the tamron lens will extend while focusing, but the canon one affords an internal focusing. If the macro shots that you intend to take involves insects, in this case, I'd think the canon one is better. But I don't really know since I have never actually seen the two lenses before.

Gonna be Canon, USM, sharp @ F/2.8, internal focus, Canon brand..

Both lenses are good on their own but if you can wait out and save a bit more, the Canon will probably serve you better in the long run. Better optics and slightly more accurate AF... comparatively speaking.

i'd say get the canon if u can afford it.. but if not, the tamron isn't too bad either....

get a used canon 100mm macro lah.
it will serve you well in a long run.
better resale value also.

all my main eqpt (cam, lens and flash) are 2nd-hand from bns. :)
my stofen omnibounce is new though. :bsmilie:

if got $, then buy new lor.
i got $, but rather spend it on something else. :sweat:

depends on your priorities. optically there is little to set them apart. the canon has better built quality, focusing, better resale value (if that matters) and of course the brand behind it.

get the tamron. save the 300 for other things. at the end of the day, its all about the image quality and no one can deny the tamron delivers just as well as the canon.

Tamron pretty high resale value too. New about $580. Used selling usually for $420 to $450.

get the tamron. save the 300 for other things. at the end of the day, its all about the image quality and no one can deny the tamron delivers just as well as the canon.

Yep,have to agree about their image quality.
I've seen both pictures taken by those two lenses.
Part of me also wanted to save that $300.;p

I was just thinking about the same thing a couple of weeks back. I ended up getting the canon 100mm. I got a friend who was heading to HK to get it. It was only 780 SGD there with International Warranty. Can consider that path. so, only need to save 200 more.

Macro lenses are generally good optically. One doesn't hear of bad macro lenses so I'd go with the cheapest lens that gets the job done.

Its more than S$300.. Probably S$400. Canon 100mm Macro new cost close to S$1k ?

Yah... somemore still have to buy hood.
The only advantages the Canon have:

1. silent
2. Doesn't extend
3. Ability to auto focus at close up extremes.

I think the extension part is important.

you better try both then decide
feel is very important

Status
Not open for further replies.