Canon 1000D Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotope

Jan 7, 2009
Hi all, just bought my 1st ever DSLR today at Tangs Orchard. Had been thinking of getting one for some time now and there was a promotion on just to share with fellow users here.

For purchase of Canon 1000D kit, you get to buy an additional EF75-300 lens at only $99.

Plus, the staff there, a nice old gentleman named Simon was very informative and patient with a newbie like me that I feel bad if I ended up buying from someone or somewhere else!

Heading to the Singapore Tattoo show tmr at the expo, hopefully can take some pics back and get some advice from the seniors on how I can improve on them. :sweat:

Welcome

READ MORE
SHOOT more
Post more

Welcome to the world of Photography...... the more you shoot the more you learn.... :bsmilie:

hi...i'm a newbie attracted by the Canon 1000D offer as well and i got it as a xmas gift for myself. However, the offer to buy the 75-300mm USM lll lens was at $59 and not $99 or yours offered was a different lens??? Anyway, Im havin a great time with just the 18-55mm IS kit lens and i'm planning to get the canon 50mm 1.8 mk2 lens to supplement cos i like taking portraits. The last time I checked with Alan Photo was $115 ex GST. I'm also trying to get a Raynox 250 as well...and maybe the part 2 of my kit lens which is 55-250mm IS. Any comments or advice from seniors please?

hi dev/
i'm a 1000d newbie too. i bought a 50mm 1.8 II last month at MS Photo at Ang Mo Kio Hub level 2.i paid 100 dollars for it in cash.with filter it will cost 110.

been using it for potraits .and i must say i am impressed at how it has helped me with low light conditions.infact since i got this one,i've have yet to switch to other lense.

i suggest you get one coz i guess its the most primary upgrade yet a good lense upgrade that u can consider for now.

Hi all, just bought my 1st ever DSLR today at Tangs Orchard. Had been thinking of getting one for some time now and there was a promotion on just to share with fellow users here.

For purchase of Canon 1000D kit, you get to buy an additional EF75-300 lens at only $99.

Plus, the staff there, a nice old gentleman named Simon was very informative and patient with a newbie like me that I feel bad if I ended up buying from someone or somewhere else!

Heading to the Singapore Tattoo show tmr at the expo, hopefully can take some pics back and get some advice from the seniors on how I can improve on them. :sweat:

Welcome

Great sales tactics, nothing more. He makes you feel that way so that you grab his "promotion" without further checking. Further checking could reveal that
a) you can get this lens (EF 70-300) at Mustafa for S$59 (according some other fellows here)
b) this lens is of rather mediocre quality
c) a lot of shops want to sell of this lens, it's getting dusty on shelf.

I strongly recommend you as a newbie to stop any further purchase until you are familiar with the very basics of photography and you can make mature and conscious decisions about what you need as equipment. Instead of buying such a lens there are other things worth considering, like
- cleaning kit / blower
- dry box or dry cabinet for proper storing
- additional memory cards (there's never enough disk space!)
- additional batteries
- camera bag (if you got the standard bag then you can omit this point)
- tripod
I know it's tempting to get the next lens and sneak into the distance but there are better options and no lens or camera comes with built-in guarantee for great pictures. It's time to learn now :) Your kit lens is a good starting point.
Welcome to ClubSnap.

Last edited:
Thks for all the advice! Already got tripod, UV filter, hood, xtra batt, camera bag, drybox, cleaning kit (waitin, to get a pen type brush), 8 gb card and even got a set of wireless remote trigger from Jon! Tried some shots with the 70-300 USM lll lens and actually turn out quite ok for my standard. Even shot them handheld at 300mm though later my hands felt tired cos hoilding that bazooka is no joke. At $59 no complain lah!!!Been satisfied with the 18-55 mm kit lens but just hopin to improve on certain areas and yet not spending too much...hence the 50mm 1.8 and the raynox 250.

yes the promotion for the 1000D kit, yes the 75-300 is only for $59...try to go Sim Lim Square to compare the price before buy...;)

I m also a newbie with 1000D. Just bought the camera about a wk ago and have been trying out with both the len (EF-S-18-55 IS Kit and EF-75-300MM f/4-5.6III USM). Took quite a bit of photos at Clarke Quay/Chinatown. Photos look OK with my standard. Wanted to post it up in the forum for you Seniors to comments but do not know how to go about doing it as I hardly do attachments in this forum page. Can anyone tell me how to go about ? I tried to click Insert Image but it turned out asking me to enter URL of the image with http:\\ ?????????. Where can I find the URL (I do not have any) ? I thought when you clicked on the Insert Image, it will automatically link you to the location of the folder you stored your images and you just select it and download, that's all but it different. :sweat: Any help ? Thanks. :)

Great sales tactics, nothing more. He makes you feel that way so that you grab his "promotion" without further checking. Further checking could reveal that
a) you can get this lens (EF 70-300) at Mustafa for S$59 (according some other fellows here)
b) this lens is of rather mediocre quality
c) a lot of shops want to sell of this lens, it's getting dusty on shelf.

I strongly recommend you as a newbie to stop any further purchase until you are familiar with the very basics of photography and you can make mature and conscious decisions about what you need as equipment. Instead of buying such a lens there are other things worth considering, like
- cleaning kit / blower
- dry box or dry cabinet for proper storing
- additional memory cards (there's never enough disk space!)
- additional batteries
- camera bag (if you got the standard bag then you can omit this point)
- tripod
I know it's tempting to get the next lens and sneak into the distance but there are better options and no lens or camera comes with built-in guarantee for great pictures. It's time to learn now :) Your kit lens is a good starting point.
Welcome to ClubSnap.

True clubsnapper sincere comments:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.