canon 10-22mm or tokina 11-16mm

charvin83

Feb 17, 2010
Which uwa is better? I am still thinking.. Can anyone offer some help here

Which uwa is better? I am still thinking.. Can anyone offer some help here

Take a look in the Sigma/Tamron/Tokina sub forum, we have a thread about 11-16 f2.8.
I also was in same position and I swallowed a lot of informations from CS,dpreview,photozone,digital-photography but at the end it comes to you.

So what helped me at the end... I asked myself, how often will I use the 2.8 on the wide lens and at the end I take 10-22. Very fun lens to use! And you cannot go wrong with either one.

Regards,
R

IMO, wide angle is meant to be used at the shortest length. even if its 1mm, id say canon 10-22mm. but im using sigma 10-20 since im on budget :p

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

So what helped me at the end... I asked myself, how often will I use the 2.8 on the wide lens and at the end I take 10-22.

i have the 10-22 canon, no regrets.
very gd for travel.

Some people just shoot landscape with their UWA. In that application, F2.8 is very very rarely used. But UWA can be used to shoot a lot more than just landscape. This is one I shot using the tokina. Didn't have to use F2.8 on this particular shot, but I hope you get the idea.

4304573386_e6431a0bae.jpg

This is another one that can benefit from a F2.8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yyelsel_ann/4073974551/

Last edited:
After seeing joker's link, seem like more Ppl choose 10-22Mm over tokina.. Ppl was saying we wun need the f2.8, f3.5 is good enuff.. Most of the time will be using the widest angle, I.e canon 10mm vs tokina 11mm.. Buy sonethr mention tokina's 11-16 lens built is better than tat of canon 10-22.. Can anyone confirm that?

I also saw Ppl saying abt combination.. Take canon 10-22mm + 24-105mm walkard lens frm joker's link.. Then I came to think abt that I m using a tamron 17-50vc, should I change to 25-105, so that I wun have lens overlapping the same range..

Nice pic there uncle daredevil :D

What was the aperture you used? The flickr is yours?

TS: If you do not mind, read through this link, might give you ideas: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419734

Regards,
R

In my airport shot I actually used F5.6

No, that linked flickr is not mine.

This is another of my shot at F2.8. Shot in very low light. Don't think it will be easy to shoot this scene with the 10-22.
4312069970_acfdab64f9.jpg

After seeing joker's link, seem like more Ppl choose 10-22Mm over tokina.. Ppl was saying we wun need the f2.8, f3.5 is good enuff.. Most of the time will be using the widest angle, I.e canon 10mm vs tokina 11mm.. Buy sonethr mention tokina's 11-16 lens built is better than tat of canon 10-22.. Can anyone confirm that?

I also saw Ppl saying abt combination.. Take canon 10-22mm + 24-105mm walkard lens frm joker's link.. Then I came to think abt that I m using a tamron 17-50vc, should I change to 25-105, so that I wun have lens overlapping the same range..

Overlap is ok. The key for you is to decide if the range of that particular lens useful for you. Sometimes you just do not have the time or opportunity to change lens. So it is up to you. The 10-20 or 10-22 has a much bigger range to work with, but at the expense of a smaller aperture. You just have to know your own style of shooting, and see what your needs are.

tokina built is always one of the best even compared to the more expensive canon lenses.

choosing the two lens depends on how often one will shoot in those really low light situation, and if he is willing to sacrifice a little more noise for higher ISO. but then with those ultra-wide, the required shutter speed(probably 1/4s or so will do) to get sharp shots ain't really that hard to obtain.

wah...start to have tokina supporter liao....

I saw ppl selling 10-20 canon @ 800+ in CS, 2nd hand off coz..
Or tokina 11-16 brand new...

Now the consideration pt is get a f2.8 --> gd for low light (Can flash do the job?)
or 10-22 for the extra wide angle..

Taking abt the flash, Nissin Di866 better or Canon 430EXII/580EXII better?
580EXII flashlight power same range as Nissin Di866
430EXII price range same range as Nissin Di866

Which one leh??

I was also pondering between 10-22mm/ 11-16 and 12-24.
My main usage for a UWA is for traveling, shooting of sceneries. In this case, 10-22mm weighs 385g. Both tokina abt 560g each.
I went for the 10-22mm instead. When traveling, i prefer nt to have excess weight. So that was the deciding point for me. And of course, the bigger range works for me as well.

In my airport shot I actually used F5.6

No, that linked flickr is not mine.

This is another of my shot at F2.8. Shot in very low light. Don't think it will be easy to shoot this scene with the 10-22.
4312069970_acfdab64f9.jpg

Woah. want to poison is it :D
Can I ask u something, have u ever use a flashgun with your UWA?

I've searched google but they say it might not be a good idea.

I'm traveling overseas and if I go to those cave areas where backlite is behind the person, and I want to take a shot with the cave structure, will my flashgun helps me with UWA?

Need to make sure before I make my purchase because tight budget :p

Thanks

Regards,
R

You can read the reviews for the two lens here. I've the Tokina and it's a great lens. While I agree that in most cases, you do not need f/2.8, there are times, such as sunrise/sunsets/ night shots, where you find it useful.

At 11-16, the picture will be sharp, even at f/2.8 so sometimes... that extra speed helps. :)

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos

Great links

Woah. want to poison is it :D
Can I ask u something, have u ever use a flashgun with your UWA?

I've searched google but they say it might not be a good idea.

I'm traveling overseas and if I go to those cave areas where backlite is behind the person, and I want to take a shot with the cave structure, will my flashgun helps me with UWA?

Need to make sure before I make my purchase because tight budget :p

Thanks

Regards,
R

Problem with flash with UWA, is that if shot direct, the angle the flash covers may not be wide enough for the angle the UWA lens covers. If indoors, you can try to bounce flash or diffuse the flash. But you have to try, as there is no sure way of knowing what the situation will be like at the moment you are trying to capture the shot.

For your specific application, a off camera flash may be more useful, but make sure you expose for the background, and fire only enough flash to light up your subject (i.e. compensate using FV).

IMO, wide angle is meant to be used at the shortest length. even if its 1mm, id say canon 10-22mm. but im using sigma 10-20 since im on budget :p

UWA for me to shoot at the widest possible and the rest less impt for me. I knew I wanted canon 10-22mm but when I just bought it, I suddenly wondered if I bought on impulse. After I used it....I never regretted getting it.

There has been quite a few threads on this subject.

I have gone through the same deliberation and Tokina was my pick.

Both are equally good and better than Sigma.

canon has the extra reach and wider, yes, there is a great visible difference between 10mm and 11mm.
On the other hand, Tokina is better build, almost like prime and.... it's f/2.8!!

If you purely looking for outdoor landscape then f/2.8 may not be important... but if you plan to use indoor too, like me... then this is the killer.

f/2.8 decided for me and I am happy with my choice..... only issue, it can not be used (except at 16 mm) on my 1Ds ... but nothing different for Canon EFs also.

And IQ for Toki is great, significantly better than 17-40L